University of Maryland BISI Program - Help me make sense of interviews and recruitment events

jlbr

So I attended UMD's BISI Program's recruitment event today and I have no idea how to feel about it. Firstly, there were about 70 or more people there, and next week they will have another event like today's. So they've got like 140 "shortlisted" students? It's quite a lot, isn't it?

While most of the events were things like lightning talks and talks by the director to talk about their campus and program, the meaty part of the event were interviews with possible PI's. I had 4 interviews but I was so puzzled by them! All the professors I talked to conducted the interviews in a very casual manner, one of them even making small talk about where he lived and his commute to campus. They all asked me about my background but I never got anything close to an expression of interest on my research and no one told me they were interested on my work or in me possibly joining their labs.

So I guess I don't get the purpose of these events. I mean, they've got double or more the amount of students they'll admit attending this event, we all interviewed with at least three professors, so what was the purpose of the whole thing if professors are not even telling you whether they are interested in you working with them? Or was that just me? Are you supposed to get hints that they are interested in having you work with them in these interviews? In that case I must have failed miserably. Thing is, I have a few years of research experience, I have innovative and interesting research interests (according to my ex preofessors), I had solid recommendation letters, and I feel I am a solid candidate overall, I feel like I conducted myself in a professional and cool manner, and yet... nothing, no apparent interest in me as an applicant nor any interest in my work.

Does anybody have any clues how they choose admitted students? were the interviews supposed to be casual? Did I completely blow it?

@jlbr As a caveat, I can't speak for the University of Maryland, but I can speak on my experience with the application process. 

I know that they may have invited so many people expecting that many of them would have turned down the potential Maryland offer for other schools, firstly. 

Secondly, did you ask them about their research as well, or indicate that you had looked at their past work? That's an indicator of their interest in you. It seems counterintuitive, but they don't have the time to go through student files, not even the ones who they are interviewing with. So it's largely up to you to show interest and motivation. That's a big part of grad school as a whole, really. They were being friendly, yes, but if they didn't feel YOU were interested for one reason or another, that means that they wouldn't express much interest either. 

If you did the above, then I'm not totally sure what to do. I'd recommend writing follow-up emails thanking them for their time (it will help you stick in their mind as well), and ask if they have any further comments or questions for you! That may give you some answers. 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, jlbr said:

So I attended UMD's BISI Program's recruitment event today and I have no idea how to feel about it. Firstly, there were about 70 or more people there, and next week they will have another event like today's. So they've got like 140 "shortlisted" students? It's quite a lot, isn't it?

While most of the events were things like lightning talks and talks by the director to talk about their campus and program, the meaty part of the event were interviews with possible PI's. I had 4 interviews but I was so puzzled by them! All the professors I talked to conducted the interviews in a very casual manner, one of them even making small talk about where he lived and his commute to campus. They all asked me about my background but I never got anything close to an expression of interest on my research and no one told me they were interested on my work or in me possibly joining their labs.

So I guess I don't get the purpose of these events. I mean, they've got double or more the amount of students they'll admit attending this event, we all interviewed with at least three professors, so what was the purpose of the whole thing if professors are not even telling you whether they are interested in you working with them? Or was that just me? Are you supposed to get hints that they are interested in having you work with them in these interviews? In that case I must have failed miserably. Thing is, I have a few years of research experience, I have innovative and interesting research interests (according to my ex preofessors), I had solid recommendation letters, and I feel I am a solid candidate overall, I feel like I conducted myself in a professional and cool manner, and yet... nothing, no apparent interest in me as an applicant nor any interest in my work.

Does anybody have any clues how they choose admitted students? were the interviews supposed to be casual? Did I completely blow it?

My friend interviewed the same days as you.  But interestingly, an email arrived about an hour before it started congratulating her on being admitted but to still participate and enjoy the 2 day event.  So strange.  She really likes the program.  What do you think about the program?

Hi, I interviewed the week following you and had a wonderful experience so I'm going to try to make sense of some of what you're feeling. First, my event the following week was closer to 30/40 students, so I'd say the "shortlist" you mention is around 100 students. This is also spread out across four concentration areas, all with a different admissions committee, so some of the people you saw on Zoom weren't even "competitors" in that sense and are being chosen from completely different pools. 

Just in general, I've found that graduate school interviews are more of a conversation. They don't have to be super formal - professors are excited to hear about you and share their work. Your experience with interviews could've been largely dependent on the PIs you selected as well. Most of the professors I talked to had looked at my application and had questions about it, but I'm not doubting by any means that your experience was different. I think it really does depend on who you talk to. 

I was in a similar situation as mentioned above where I was admitted before interview. We were told at my event that we can expect to hear within the next week or two, but that offers will be sent in waves due to a decrease in state funding this year. They didn't really tell us the criteria, but made it seem like if you were at the interview stage, you would likely receive an offer at some point as people from the first wave accept or decline their offer. Basically no news is good news. Best of luck to you!!

14 hours ago, ood63 said:

anyone have an update from UMD BISI?  Just wondering when they will send official offers.....

We were told that the first wave of official offers will be sent sometime in the next week or two. If you don't receive an acceptance in the first wave, don't worry because they'll make additional offers as people from the first wave accept/decline.