Will I be rejected from higher rank universities?

the97kid

Question

So I just received a generic rejection mail from Simon Fraser University Canada. Does this mean that there is a high chance of me being rejected from the universities ranked above it?

Schools am planning to apply to (Fall Term 2021):

• University of British Columbia 
  • McGill University 
  • Simon Fraser University (Rejected)
  • University of Manitoba 
  • University of Guelph
  • McMaster University
  • University of Waterloo

Programs: M.Sc. in Statistics

PROFILE!

Type of Student: International South Asian Female

Undergraduate Institution: Top 5  Sri Lankan University

Degree: B.Sc. Honours Degree in Mathematics

Majors: Pure Mathematics and Statistics

Cumulative GPA: 3.79 (First Class Honours)

GPA for 3rd year: 3.97

GPA for 4th year: 3.966

Last 2 years (66 credits) GPA: 3.968

Awards: Dean's List

Research Experience: Undergraduate research in Statistics and Diploma project in Data Science

IELTS score: 8.0 (L - 9.0 | S - 8.5 | R - 7.5 | W - 6.5) 7 Dec 2019

GRE General Test: 300 (Verbal: 145  | Quantitative: 155  | AWA: 3.5) 11 Dec 2019

Letter of Recommendation:

• 3 Academic references from lecturers

Courses taken during undergrad:

Pure Mathematics courses I have taken are Discrete Mathematics, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Infinite Series, Differential Equations, Mathematical Methods, Riemann Integration,  Several Variables, Complex Analysis, Topology, Group Theory, Functional Analysis, Measure Theory, Special Topics in Mathematics & Statistics, Research 

Statistics - Statistical Modelling, Probability Distributions, Operational Research, Statistical Inference, Survey Methods, Linear Models, Time Series, Bayesian Inference, Stochastic Processes, Design and Analysis of Experiments, Multivariate Data Analysis

Also following Advanced Diploma in Data Science program and I'm good in MATLAB, R, Python, SPSS

3 answers to this question

Not necessarily, no. Your interests might not be a perfect fit for a university, they may have had a small group of students being admitted this year (quite common for 2021), and much, much more.

For grad school, they're really looking at who the applicants are and how well they fit the faculty. That means that it really depends on who's on faculty, what your interests are, how many students the school is admitting, who else applies, etc.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:57 AM, dancewmoonlight said:

Not necessarily, no. Your interests might not be a perfect fit for a university, they may have had a small group of students being admitted this year (quite common for 2021), and much, much more.

For grad school, they're really looking at who the applicants are and how well they fit the faculty. That means that it really depends on who's on faculty, what your interests are, how many students the school is admitting, who else applies, etc.

Oh! I see you've studied at University of Manitoba! 

I got into that uni for my Master's Fall 2020 then they deferred my admission for Winter 2021. Then the department mailed me stating that they aren't considering students for Winter 2021 and to apply again. The wait is killing me and I am literally dying inside.