Anxiety and imposter syndrome?

WhaleWhisperer

Yes! I have been accepted to one school, waitlisted for one, and heard nothing from the rest but assuming I’ll be rejected as others have heard back already. I feel terrible about being waitlisted, like I just wasn’t good enough. All the worst concerns I’ve always had creeping back up. How’s your cycle going so far? Heard back from programs? 

Graduated with my MA a couple years ago but remember the imposter syndrome well! I did my undergrad at a University of California and my master's at an Ivy League. That increased the Imposter Syndrome 10-fold. 

Even applying to PhD programs a second time around brought some of it back. 

But I realized it's always going to be there throughout my academic milestones. So, I need to find ways of coping with the internal dialogue. 

7 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Graduated with my MA a couple years ago but remember the imposter syndrome well! I did my undergrad at a University of California and my master's at an Ivy League. That increased the Imposter Syndrome 10-fold. 

But I realized it's always going to be there throughout my academic milestones. So, I need to find ways of coping with the internal dialogue. 

7 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Whoops rewriting because I forgot to quote

So far I have not heard a thing from any schools 

The last I heard was that a professor is going to speak to the admissions committee about my application "soon" (which is an ivy league and making everything worse), another professor was going to tell admissions to make note of my application, and that I was one of two students asked to apply under a professor.

Yes all of this sounds great, but honestly the pressure of all of this (and I posted about it in case schools were watching) is too much, if I don't get in after all that, that is just going to be so horrible.... I have known I really need to go to grad school since at least high school. 

3 hours ago, WhaleWhisperer said:

Whoops rewriting because I forgot to quote

So far I have not heard a thing from any schools 

The last I heard was that a professor is going to speak to the admissions committee about my application "soon" (which is an ivy league and making everything worse), another professor was going to tell admissions to make note of my application, and that I was one of two students asked to apply under a professor.

Yes all of this sounds great, but honestly the pressure of all of this (and I posted about it in case schools were watching) is too much, if I don't get in after all that, that is just going to be so horrible.... I have known I really need to go to grad school since at least high school. 

No worries. I hear that. 

I really hope they're fighting for your application to make it to the final round. Unless the professor explicitly says they want to work with you and that they'll do everything in their power to advocate for you, I wouldn't take their words as guaranteed admission. And even if a professor says that there is always a possibility that the rest of the department will say no.