Rutgers VS GC CUNY?

SleeplessInSomewhere

Hey everybody! I know that those who were admitted to Rutgers are still waiting on funding info (I'm one of them), but I wanted to get an initial feel for peoples thoughts on the Rutgers Sociology program VS GC CUNY. I got into both, thankfully, and though the situation with Rutgers still looks kinda fuzzy I'm having a hard time figuring out which one would be the better option. I spoke with the director at Rutgers and he sounded confident that the funding will come through. So, thoughts on pros and cons of each? Would especially be good to hear from people who have some sort of connection and insight at either of them.

I actually spoke to one prof at another school I interviewed at who bad mouthed Rutgers (hes an alum) in a way that did not sit well with me when he found out I was shortlisted there... so, trying to figure out if that bad mouthing was valid or just heresy.

I was actually making the same decision recently and I chose GC because I felt that my research aligned more with the faculty expertise there. I am interested in urban sociology and spatial inequality. 

Funding may seem uncertain right now but if the director is confident something will come through for you I would wait it out. 

As for your experience in the program I don't know much about Rutgers. I would reach out to students who are currently studying there. I'm not sure when this professor was going to Rutgers but I assume that things might be different from when they were a student. 

Another reason I chose GC is because I've been there a few times for events and I can tell that the students are all very friendly and supportive of each other. I'm not looking for a super competitive environment so that definitely left an impression on me and made me want to apply. I'm not sure what the culture is like at Rutgers so I can't speak to that. 

Anyway, I hope this was helpful!