GRE today

gradhelp

Hey guys! Congrats to anyone that took the GRE today or recently. It's exhausting and most definitely a lot of work. 

I am applying to grad school and don't know many other people that have gone through the admissions process so I am using forums and reddit to learn more about the process. 

I took the GRE today and am worried my scores are awful! VERBAL-155 and QUANT-143. I am so sad about the math. Does anyone have any tips/resources to improve basic math skills quickly? I am not applying to a math based program so I am just shooting for a 150. Also any tips on how to better prepare for the swiftness of the verbal sections, the timing killed me! Lastly, would you submit these scores to schools or are they to bad to even send? I plan to take it again, but maybe since the verbal score is decent and if I get my math up it will benefit me for schools to see both scores...

Good Luck to everyone studying/taking it soon! 

Just now, gradhelp said:

I am a bit confused though, is that not a decent verbal score? 

No offense but it's right around average. And your quant is significantly below average. Are average scores available for the programs you're applying to? If you scored higher than average then go ahead but otherwise I wouldn't risk it. It's doubtful that submitting would have anything better than a neutral impact on your app, imo. 

2 minutes ago, dobzhansky said:

No offense but it's right around average. And your quant is significantly below average. Are average scores available for the programs you're applying to? If you scored higher than average then go ahead but otherwise I wouldn't risk it. It's doubtful that submitting would have anything better than a neutral impact on your app, imo. 

Everywhere I'm applying is mid tier and none of them require the gre aside from one ? maybe I messed up sending them, I can retake though! 

1 minute ago, gradhelp said:

Everywhere I'm applying is mid tier and none of them require the gre aside from one ? maybe I messed up sending them, I can retake though! 

Is it going to hurt me a lot that the schools are going to see this initial score, they have already been sent out!

Just now, gradhelp said:

If you already sent, don't sweat it. Adcoms are paying less and less attention to the GRE. Unless you're confident that you can raise your score by 10+ points, I'd focus on other aspects of your package and potentially getting in contact with advisors.

Just now, dobzhansky said:

If you already sent, don't sweat it. Adcoms are paying less and less attention to the GRE. Unless you're confident that you can raise your score by 10+ points, I'd focus on other aspects of your package and potentially getting in contact with advisors.

Yup I am in close contact with all the schools I am applying to and even told them my scores, they said they were fine, but I am just freaking out. It's really important in my life to get into grad school ASAP, but I think I'm well rounded and the programs seem to like me!