GRE AW score annoys me.....

salade

I am an engineering student and just got my GRE score 560(V)+800(Q)+3.5(AW) two day back. I felt OK with V and Q part but, the AW score really annoyed me as I am not sure now whether to retake the GRE to increase the AW score or not.

To provide you any other information that I consider useful, I am an international student and have published 3 international journal papers as the first author when doing my MSc in Canada. I wish these publications may be a compensate for the relatively low score in AW part cauz I am thinking at least these papers show my capability of logical writing in English.

I am planning to apply for some top schools in States for the coming Fall 2011

Can anyone offer some thought on this dilemma :rolleyes:

Many thanks~~

I got into a top school (in math) with your AW score. I think it is completely insignificant for an engineering applicant, especially international one.

Yeah, that's some of my friends told me. I just can not help worrying.... DO NOT WANT MY APPLICATION TO BE SCREWED BY GRE AW....:huh:

I got a 4 on the AW, but it didn't seem to hurt my admissions anywhere. Don't worry!

Thanks for your kind reply :rolleyes: . I have already made my mind that I will be using this GRE score to apply for the coming Fall admission 2011 anyway. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I got a GRE score of 1440 ( 800Q + 640 V + 3.0(A)) I had applied to 3 univs for MS in Ind Engineerin. Georgia, Virginia and UIUC and I got denied by all three..

When asd for the reason, Georgia replied tht it was solely AWA. I dint ask the rest 3. Can anyone help me? What do I do?

I have a pretty decent profile.

Writing is probably my weakest area, but I managed a 4.5 on the GRE AW. I basically followed a template which said that it would pretty much give me a 4.5. If you plan on retaking it, then I suggest you read the Barron's section for the AW and just follow their template recommendation to get a 4.5.

Kavya, is there any specific requirement posted on the universities that you have applied? If they clearly state the lowest line for AW, probably we have to avoid such kind of universities. So far, I have only seen Purdue posted their minimum requirement on GRE AW, which is 3.5. I am not sure what the screening criteria for most of Universities when they look at the applications from the students coming from abroad.... can anyone gives some thoughts on this issue though rolleyes.gif

Hey, I got a GRE score of 1440 ( 800Q + 640 V + 3.0(A)) I had applied to 3 univs for MS in Ind Engineerin. Georgia, Virginia and UIUC and I got denied by all three..

When asd for the reason, Georgia replied tht it was solely AWA. I dint ask the rest 3. Can anyone help me? What do I do?

I have a pretty decent profile.

I'd probably retake it. For PhD programs that require lots of writing and research, the AW score is going to be the second most important component after the Q section. I would say this is especially true of engineering programs. Aim for at least a 4.5 or higher if you do.