LBJ MPAff/MGPS Fall 2021

austin24

I got an email today from the Associate Director of the LBJ Washington Center to schedule a short Zoom interview as a part of the DC Concentration admissions process. Just wondering has anyone else done this? What was it like? Good luck everyone!! ?

Edited by p0li_sci_fi

1 hour ago, p0li_sci_fi said:

I got an email today from the Associate Director of the LBJ Washington Center to schedule a short Zoom interview as a part of the DC Concentration admissions process. Just wondering has anyone else done this? What was it like? Good luck everyone!! ?

Yes -- I did mine at the beginning of February. Was pretty painless -- they just want to know more about you and your goals and why. Dress professional! And make sure your Zoom is updated, because mine decided to do an update right before the meeting. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, p0li_sci_fi said:

I got one as well. 

13 minutes ago, EH4640 said:

Yes -- I did mine at the beginning of February. Was pretty painless -- they just want to know more about you and your goals and why. Dress professional! And make sure your Zoom is updated, because mine decided to do an update right before the meeting. Best of luck!

Thanks for this!

1 hour ago, EH4640 said:

Thanks ?  This is super helpful! Sounds like it's not too bad.

Hey guys, is this normal?

I still haven't heard back, but something I assumed was normal and is starting to worry me more and more is the fact that without giving me a decision, the LBJ School has been sending me monthly updates, and today all I've received an email from the Office of Admissions reminding me of the deadline.

I for sure submitted everything I needed to (checked ad infinitum), but there's a nagging thought that maybe they didn't get something.

Are any of you that are still waiting for your decision getting the same emails?

3 minutes ago, Scrambles said:

Hey guys, is this normal?

I still haven't heard back, but something I assumed was normal and is starting to worry me more and more is the fact that without giving me a decision, the LBJ School has been sending me monthly updates, and today all I've received an email from the Office of Admissions reminding me of the deadline.

I for sure submitted everything I needed to (checked ad infinitum), but there's a nagging thought that maybe they didn't get something.

Are any of you that are still waiting for your decision getting the same emails?

You might just be still on their prospective students email list / slipped through the cracks of how they organize their listserv somehow. As long as you're positive your materials are submitted I wouldn't worry. Can't hurt to email and confirm though - you could unsubscribe from the emails but make sure you don't accidentally unsubscribe from important ones like admissions decision and etc

1 minute ago, studious_kirby said:

You might just be still on their prospective students email list / slipped through the cracks of how they organize their listserv somehow.

I got a promotional email today as well, and I've already been admitted.

I received an emailed offer of admission to UT's LBJ School Master of Public Affairs program on Friday, March 5, 2021. In my portal, it states the offer is pending final approval once UT receives my official undergraduate transcript. No notice of funding was received. I am unsure if that will change once the admissions offer becomes official. I am in-state (born, raised, and currently live in Austin), so tuition is already reasonable. I've also been accepted to the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University (Washington D.C. is very tempting). I'm still waiting to hear back from the Bush School at Texas A&M (had my interviews last week), Duke, Carnegie-Mellon, Brown, and the Harvard Kennedy School (my long shot...not holding my breath). 

36 minutes ago, JHAl said:

I received an emailed offer of admission to UT's LBJ School Master of Public Affairs program on Friday, March 5, 2021. In my portal, it states the offer is pending final approval once UT receives my official undergraduate transcript. No notice of funding was received. I am unsure if that will change once the admissions offer becomes official. I am in-state (born, raised, and currently live in Austin), so tuition is already reasonable. I've also been accepted to the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University (Washington D.C. is very tempting). I'm still waiting to hear back from the Bush School at Texas A&M (had my interviews last week), Duke, Carnegie-Mellon, Brown, and the Harvard Kennedy School (my long shot...not holding my breath). 

Ultimately, I recommend you consider what sphere of policy you want to matriculate into.

If you want to end up in:

a. Federal consulting

b. Capital Hill/Lobbying

c. Drive hard on data and be the 1-2 McCourt students a year who end up think tanks - then McCourt makes sense to you.

If you want to end up in:

a. Policy Innovation (lets be honest, the Federal Government and DC follows, it doesn't really lead)

b. State and Local policy (McCourt is very much structured towards all things Federal)

c. Anything related to Tech 

d. Policy discover/research (as in you have no idea what policy areas you are interested in and you just want to explore.

LBJ makes more sense to you.

Additionally, if you care about padding your resume with DC area internships and are okay with going it alone, McCourt makes sense to you. If you care about having a supportive community and strong collaboration/professional development, LBJ makes more sense for you.

I say all this because I had a McCourt classmate who transferred to LBJ because McCourt's policy focus areas were to cookie cutter for her and she wanted to focus on something unique and innovative. LBJ simply has way more policy focus areas that McCourt. Also, no one really considers culture prior to going to grad school, it is super important and can drive how well you do in the job market unless you are really mature.