GWU Elliott School 2021

I'll start. Admitted in December, got $15K per year in funding. Looks like a good choice, but I'm still waiting on a financial aid offer from SAIS and an admissions result from Georgetown. 

6 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

For those who received admissions offers last week, when and where did you find out about financial aid? If it was supposed to come in that original offer, I guess I didn't get any. 

Mine came through this evening in an email. 

Different email. Mine came 1.5hrs ago: 10k a year. Same as EscapingBrexit I’m not sure if that’s enough for it to make sense. I knew my stats/coming from a complete career change made this all a long shot, but almost hurts more to be accepted and then “lowballed” on funding, but should be grateful for anything! 

3 hours ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Gotchya. Well, 10K per year is still nothing to sneeze at, but I get what you're saying. The sticker price for these programs is incredibly high. 

Incredibly grateful of course! We just all have to see what decision makes the most sense for them. I still have 4 schools to come back, but the sticker prices on those are even higher... If I could get my GWU funding to match my American funding, it would be a compelling option for sure. I like GWU and the location cannot be beat! But debt is a concern... 

Accepted into the Asian Studies program with $14k a year! 

Nice, but not even close to the amount of funding I got from American. I'm still waiting on financial award info from some more competitive programs. 

Received my acceptance to the MAIA program last week but still nothing on funding ? I like American's program a bit more and they offered me 18k in funding, so unless I get a significant amount more from the Elliot school I may end up at SIS. Still waiting on admissions and funding from SAIS as well.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:18 AM, Sphilli2121 said:

Still haven't received any funding info ?   GW is my top choice but may have to go with AU as they gave me decent funding . 

I'm in the same boat and haven't heard anything from GW. I got into their MAIA program. Have you heard anything? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! Starting to hear back from programs so thought I'd post on here to ask some advice. Got in to JHU SAIS, Tufts Fletcher, American SIS, and GW Elliot, all for international affairs and all with funding (although GW and American gave me the best offers overall). Got denied by Georgetown Security Studies and am still waiting on MSFS, but there is no way I am paying full sticker price for that program, lol. Right now, I am between GWU and American for International Affairs. Can someone with more insight offer me advice here? I am leaning more towards GW because they seem to do better with international security issues. Or, is the degree from GW worth it at all? 

Thanks! And congrats to everyone on their acceptances! 

1 hour ago, mskros said:

Hey all! Starting to hear back from programs so thought I'd post on here to ask some advice. Got in to JHU SAIS, Tufts Fletcher, American SIS, and GW Elliot, all for international affairs and all with funding (although GW and American gave me the best offers overall). Got denied by Georgetown Security Studies and am still waiting on MSFS, but there is no way I am paying full sticker price for that program, lol. Right now, I am between GWU and American for International Affairs. Can someone with more insight offer me advice here? I am leaning more towards GW because they seem to do better with international security issues. Or, is the degree from GW worth it at all? 

Thanks! And congrats to everyone on their acceptances! 

What program specifically at GWU are you looking at? 

1 hour ago, mskros said:

I am looking at the Master of Arts in International Affairs program. 

Since no one else has really responded to you, I'd just personally recommend GW over American. I think that Elliott has a stronger alumni presence throughout DC than American. It's anecdotal, but just my dos pesos. 

That being said, the cheapest program is often the best, especially when it comes to federal jobs where graduate degrees are generally held equal regardless of the school. 

11 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Since no one else has really responded to you, I'd just personally recommend GW over American. I think that Elliott has a stronger alumni presence throughout DC than American. It's anecdotal, but just my dos pesos. 

That being said, the cheapest program is often the best, especially when it comes to federal jobs where graduate degrees are generally held equal regardless of the school. 

Thanks for the feedback! That was my sense too