Graduate Institute (IHEID) vs. Georgetown SFS vs. LSE?

Hi folks,

For a Masters in international affairs and/or security - which program do you feel is best?

I've been working as a program officer at an international peace organization for the past two years, and have recently finished up a BA in political science with a 3.94 GPA. I speak French, English, and Spanish, so language isn't an issue in terms of the francophone community in Geneva (I did my undergrad in French). I'm looking at applying to these schools in the fall of 2021 or 2022, depending on how the pandemic is, and will be working in my current role until then and as a research associate at a security-oriented think-tank in South Asia. The reason I'm putting the question forward is because of jobs and employability within the peace/conflict studies world - Geneva is widely regarded as the centre of the peacemaking world. London and DC obviously have some great opportunities as well, and a great name. I've heard that DC has a lot of jobs but the competition is cutthroat and often times you're stuck with a position you're overqualified for - not sure how true this is, but it scared me.

What do you folks think? How do the namesakes of the schools weigh out, and where is best for someone looking to work in peacebuilding and/or security spaces, and not necessarily as a government analyst?

TIA!

1 hour ago, 2hot2stress said:

Hi folks,

For a Masters in international affairs and/or security - which program do you feel is best?

I've been working as a program officer at an international peace organization for the past two years, and have recently finished up a BA in political science with a 3.94 GPA. I speak French, English, and Spanish, so language isn't an issue in terms of the francophone community in Geneva (I did my undergrad in French). I'm looking at applying to these schools in the fall of 2021 or 2022, depending on how the pandemic is, and will be working in my current role until then and as a research associate at a security-oriented think-tank in South Asia. The reason I'm putting the question forward is because of jobs and employability within the peace/conflict studies world - Geneva is widely regarded as the centre of the peacemaking world. London and DC obviously have some great opportunities as well, and a great name. I've heard that DC has a lot of jobs but the competition is cutthroat and often times you're stuck with a position you're overqualified for - not sure how true this is, but it scared me.

What do you folks think? How do the namesakes of the schools weigh out, and where is best for someone looking to work in peacebuilding and/or security spaces, and not necessarily as a government analyst?

TIA!

I'm not sure on London, even though I'm from the UK. I feel that LSE's programmes are often rather impersonal with large cohorts compared to the US in particular, but I could be wrong. LSE is an excellent school though, and they do some really interesting, very specific programs. 

DC would be a really good option for you, and from your profile I think you would be a great fit for Georgetown SFS, and may well get decent funding. I'm in contact with a lot of DC orgs in the 'peace space' at the moment, and there is always a lot going on there. I hope to be in DC in September. 

I also work with some people in Geneva, and you can't go wrong there. I've just heard it is a really, really boring city, but obviously that specific program is great. 

You'll do well wherever you go, I'm sure, but definitely consider some more DC-based and American programs. Some schools have specific conflict resolution degrees.

14 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I'm not sure on London, even though I'm from the UK. I feel that LSE's programmes are often rather impersonal with large cohorts compared to the US in particular, but I could be wrong. LSE is an excellent school though, and they do some really interesting, very specific programs. 

DC would be a really good option for you, and from your profile I think you would be a great fit for Georgetown SFS, and may well get decent funding. I'm in contact with a lot of DC orgs in the 'peace space' at the moment, and there is always a lot going on there. I hope to be in DC in September. 

I also work with some people in Geneva, and you can't go wrong there. I've just heard it is a really, really boring city, but obviously that specific program is great. 

You'll do well wherever you go, I'm sure, but definitely consider some more DC-based and American programs. Some schools have specific conflict resolution degrees.

Thanks so much for these kinds words - it's honestly so difficult to be confident sometimes!

I'm also super grateful for your feedback on DC. My fear is that it's mainly policy analyst jobs for the US Gov (I'm not American), but your words were super helpful. On the note of LSE - I've also heard just some negatives about the 8month programs basically watering down the education, which makes me hesitant to go. Thanks so much for your insight!!