Should you have a laptop in a doctoral program?

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. I'm going to be a first year in a clinical psych doctoral program this fall and just wanted to see if having a laptop would be necessary for lab research - considering the portability. In undergrad and in my masters program I got away with just using my tablet in classes and my desktop at home. But, I'm assuming things are going to be a lot different. I don't want to spend money on a laptop if I don't need to, but at the same time, I don't want to regret not getting one if I do absolutely need it, you know? Thanks! c:

I would get there and feel it out. I preferred bring my laptop over using the desktops on the lab. It just made things easier when doing stuff at the lab and continuing them at home. But, there should probably be resources on campus. I wouldn't buy anything yet, and start and see how your current system works for you. I have a Surface pro, which I really like and feel like it gives me the best of both worlds (tablet and pc). 

I'm not sure you necessarily will need both, but given the option I would pick a laptop over a tablet. My program still has classes along with lab and thesis component and I'm not sure I would do well in a class without use of a laptop - but if you did your undergrad like this maybe this is just your preference too. I mostly use my desktop as my undergrad has been online/distance - but I liked the flexibility of a laptop for when I was away from home (camping/travelling...who knows). I need to upgrade it as it is very very old and very slow now - but I plan to not necessarily purchase an amazing laptop so much as I will likely just remote into my desktop to run the bigger software programs and prioritize small and light for the portable laptop option. 

11 hours ago, pomegranateleaves said:

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. I'm going to be a first year in a clinical psych doctoral program this fall and just wanted to see if having a laptop would be necessary for lab research - considering the portability. In undergrad and in my masters program I got away with just using my tablet in classes and my desktop at home. But, I'm assuming things are going to be a lot different. I don't want to spend money on a laptop if I don't need to, but at the same time, I don't want to regret not getting one if I do absolutely need it, you know? Thanks! ?

Honestly if you have the money for at least a basic laptop, I don't see why you wouldn't purchase something to do work on campus wherever you are, in the lab, on a prac site, or in class with flexibility. One of my roommates in undergrad opted to use a iPad pro instead of a laptop and struggled on certain assignments, accessing course materials and running programs. I had to let him borrow my laptop on a few occasions just to complete some of his assignments. 

And that was undergrad. With the workload increase and responsibilities I think that getting through your program without a laptop would be possible but stressful. The portability and flexibility of a laptop compared to a tablet will help you a ton in working when you are not at home (and you won't be at home most of the day)

You don't have to get a $1500 Macbook but a quality mid-range laptop is a must.