Incredibly disappointed and frustrated. What do I do with all these SLP post-bacc classes???

I'm finishing up my 10th post-bacc SLP leveling coursework and it seems it was a waste of time.  I can't get a SLPA certificate here in California (they won't accept post-bacc coursework any longer) and I can't afford nor have the time to complete an MS/SLP degree (I am single and work full time and I just can't swing it).  Would all these classes I took help with any type of SLP related job opportunity?  I wanted so badly to be a SLPA so now what.....I can't do behavioral therapy any longer and just want to be involved in speech services in some way.

Hello @socalmom!

That sounds like a pretty tough spot to be in. I have a few ideas, but they might not be all that helpful:

• Bachelor's degrees in CSD are accepted. Do you know how many more credits would be required by your post-bacc program to turn it into a bachelor's? What was your undergraduate degree in, and did you attend the same university for your undergrad and post-bacc? The gen-ed classes will probably transfer pretty easily. My post-bacc program was pretty extensive as well, so my plan B was to finish up that program as a 2nd Bachelor's degree. For me, it would have only required 2 CSD courses and some language credits, so just one additional semester. You might be able to complete these credits online or at a community college and transfer them over, which would lower the overall cost. Make sure you're hitting the minimum on-campus credits from the institution that would be issuing the degree.
  • You might also see if any of the board approved SLPA programs (American River College, Cerritos College, Orange Coast College, Pasadena City College, San Joaquin Delta College, Santa Ana College, Reedley College) have courses that line up with those you've already completed - you might be able to contact the program and see if your credits would transfer, knocking at least a few semesters off. 
  • If you can handle a move, there are MA-SLP programs that allow/require full-time concurrent employment as an SLPA. (off the top of my head, the University of Northern Colorado Online, West Virginia University Online, and the University of South Florida Online)
  • If you can handle a move, some states (like Kansas) have "speech para" positions in the schools - kind of like what an SLPA does, but it doesn't require any additional education beyond a HS diploma

Hopefully others will have better advice for you. In the meantime, you could check out r/speechassistant. It's a new forum, and still pretty small, but they might be able to help. 

-Jo

Edited by jomyers.online

Thank you so much for your reply!  I have researched most all the community colleges that are board approved here in California and only one is in my regional area (Pasadena City College).  I spoke to a representative there today and she informed me none of the post-bacc courses I took could be applied to their college.  I was shocked.  I know they have to make money but I'm 8 classes in at a University level (courses were all taken at University of Nebraska Kearney) and none of them count.  I also reached out to Utah State, to see how long it would take (and how much it would cost) to pursue a second BS degree in communication disorders.  My BS degree is in Human Development and Family Sciences from Oregon State University.  I have been working as a behavioral therapist in special education for the past seven years and have worked/collaborated closely with SLP's.  They have all encouraged me to become a SLPA (also suggesting an MS degree as an option) and many were waiting for me to get certified before the board here in California changed their requirements for licensing (and cut thousands of students taking post-bacc courses off).  The SLP's are overwhelmed and the district I currently work for is in great need for both SLP's and SLPA's.  I'm hoping the Utah State second BS degree in SLP will be a viable option.  We shall see.....My youngest son is still in high school so moving isn't an option, for now.  I have been actively trying to petition the board here in California to grant me a waiver to enroll in a SLPA program but to no avail.  They are far from helpful and refuse to allow those that were already taking post-bacc courses finish and get certified.  

Thank you again for all the great suggestions!!!  I keep fighting the good fight.  I guess I don't know when to quit, lol.

jomyers.online gave some great suggestions! A second BA/BS degree in Communication Disorders seems like it would be just as expensive as getting a Master's degree. I am so sorry that this happened to you. You might consider starting over and getting an AA degree from a community college if being an SLPA is what you truly want. If I were you, I would try to get into the field through a Master's degree since you have completed the post-bacc coursework.