Performance Studies MA in WUSTL or NYU?

sisisi

Hi everyone, I'm applying or performance studies MA beginning in 2021 Fall, and I've received an offer from WUSTL with full tuition remission. I'm still waiting to hear from PS MA from NYU, which was initially my top choice, but now with the funded MA choice, I'm having second thoughts, and I could really use some advice here~

The pros of the program in WUSTL are: a) tuition remission, especially as compared to the incredibly high tuition fee at NYU! b) it is a two year program, which I think gives me more time to think about my research interest (I'm currently at a phase where I have a lots of interests but not knowing them enough to decide with which to go deeper), and ultimately prepares me better for my PhD application. With the program at NYU being a one-year/three-semester one, I think the work load would probably be great (?) and I would have to rush through my PhD application right from the beginning of my master's if I'm not considering a gap year... 

But on the other hand, I first got to know 'performance studies' through Prof. Schechner's works, so I guess I just have a thing for NYU?? After all it's been my dream school for like two years... And though I'm no expert in this field but I could tell that they have a group of amazing professors at Tisch. While I don't know as much about the WUSTL program, I understand that WUSTL is known for its academics. So I guess I'm wondering, as my future plan is to pursue a PhD in the field of PS, whether I should go for the prestigious name of Tisch and the faculty there (and the courses there I also absolutely love!) or the smaller-sized, funded, two-year MA in WUSTL?

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions/opinions/information! And best of luck to all of you!!

I think this depends largely on whether you’re set on getting your PhD at NYU. I’ve heard that NYU tends to strongly favor their masters students when admitting to their very selective PhD program. I’m starting my PhD at Northwestern this fall and I only have a B.A. from a large, not so prestigious public research university. Ultimately, I didn’t even consider NYU because of the price tag on the M.A. If you have the financial resources to justify going to NYU, I’d say go for it, but I’d never suggest someone take out $100,000 ($60,000 tuition plus cost of living in NYC) in loans for an M.A. 

NYU is my top choice and I’m waiting to hear back from them as well. 

Personally, I borrowed a lot of money for my last degree. Unless you have the money, I’d almost always say to go to the program that is offering you the most funding. Your thesis and career are going to be what you make of it. It’s much better to not have to struggle with insurmountable debt, post-graduation.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, DoctorMusical said:

NYU is my top choice and I’m waiting to hear back from them as well. 

Personally, I borrowed a lot of money for my last degree. Unless you have the money, I’d almost always say to go to the program that is offering you the most funding. Your thesis and career are going to be what you make of it. It’s much better to not have to struggle with insurmountable debt, post-graduation.

Thank you DoctorMusical! I think NYU's PhD results are out by now? So please let me know if you have some good news!

Also I think you're 100% correct in saying 'Your thesis and career are going to be what you make of it'. I should remind myself more of that :)

Financial funding for your MA degree is a very big deal. Congratulations! From what you've said, there are more pros to WUSTL than cons, except it isn't NYU. Your research and work in your program will stand out rather than where you went. Students in your program wind up at PHD programs in Univ. California, and Northwestern; very fine schools. You can always contact NYU and ask when they expect to inform applicants of their decision since you do have an offer of full funding. That is not unheard of. If you really like Prof. Schechner's works, you can continue to develop a relationship even though you are not at NYU. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, sisisi said:

Thank you DoctorMusical! I think NYU's PhD results are out by now? So please let me know if you have some good news!

Also I think you're 100% correct in saying 'Your thesis and career are going to be what you make of it'. I should remind myself more of that :)

@sisisi I applied to the MA Performance Studies program at NYU since it appears that most of their PhDs are former MA students and NYU is my top choice. I found out today that I was granted an offer of admission! Very excited!

40 minutes ago, DoctorMusical said:

@sisisi I applied to the MA Performance Studies program at NYU since it appears that most of their PhDs are former MA students and NYU is my top choice. I found out today that I was granted an offer of admission! Very excited!

Congratulations!!! I envy you for knowing what you want for a PhD already ? 

It’s 6 in the morning and I just woke up and found that I was offered a place at NYU as well (with absolutely no funding whatsoever). Ahh I think I will have a tough decision to make... Maybe we would meet in Fall!!:)

Just now, sisisi said:

Congratulations!!! I envy you for knowing what you want for a PhD already ? 

It’s 6 in the morning and I just woke up and found that I was offered a place at NYU as well (with absolutely no funding whatsoever). Ahh I think I will have a tough decision to make... Maybe we would meet in Fall!!:)

@sisisi Congratulations! I wasn't offered funding, but still plan to attend. Happy to connect on Facebook if you'd like to direct message me! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on your offers! I have friends who have gone through WashU's program and it seems like they're making a heavy investment into trying to make sure everyone gets funding and that everyone can get experience in a variety of different ways. I think they've also recently hired Elizabeth Hunter. I'd heavily consider how much each school is offering; there's no point in going into debt for your MA.

• 1 month later...

NYU and WUSTL are both fantastic schools. Both have wonderful faculty. 

I am of the belief that individualized attention will result in stronger letters. For these reasons and because of your fully funded offer, I'd recommend going with WUSTL.

I don't think anyone should take on debt for a MA degree and St. Louis is much more affordable than NYC and wouldn't require you to live with roommates or worry about catching multiple trains.

• Warelin changed the title to WashU