Harvard vs. UM vs. UW for biostats master's

Hi all - I'm looking for advice on potential landing spots for biostats master's programs, having been accepted to Harvard, UW, and UM. Harvard and UW are not funded and are for the 80 credit and thesis track, respectively. The UM master is funded with an RA or TA. I would like to continue for a PhD afterwards and am undecided among industry or academia.

I was hoping this community may have thoughts on the above options? Really want to be in a program that takes care of its master's students and seriously considers them for the PhD. I also do not want to be in a program that's overly theoretical and has crazy quals. For further context, I can pay for about a year of Harvard or UW, but would be ~$50-80K in the hole after that (depending on second year RAships). Would love any thoughts if you have them, thanks!

13 hours ago, bayessays said:

Unless you are extraordinarily wealthy, going to Michigan is the only reasonable decision here in my opinion.  In addition to saving the money, you have a great shot at their PhD program and great preparation for other PhD applications as well.

Gotcha... I mean I guess what I'm getting at is does anybody think the $50K in loan is worth the Harvard brand name? Forget UW. I am going straight to industry afterwards and I feel like that name could pull its weight and make up for it.

Also, won't it be easier to transfer into their PhD program afterwards? For me, I view this investment as an alternative path to getting in rather than going through apps again and the brutal process of statistics/biostatistics applications. Average performance at UM could inhibit entrance to H/UW/JH down the road as it's obviously hyper competitive. 

I don't think so, no.  What kind of job do you want?  For international students who are heading back to their home countries, I have heard the name brand is sometimes more important, but you can find UM master's grads working at Google, Harvard, pharma companies, pretty much anything you can imagine.  I don't know if any Harvard MS students transfer to their PhD program, but Michigan's program is specifically designed to make that easier and to give their own applicants and advantage in admissions.  Average performance anywhere will impede you, but plenty of people from Michigan finish their MS and transfer to even better PhD programs too. 

Harvard doesn't seem to consistently admit their own Masters' students; however, a Harvard MS will get you into a lot of solid Ph.D. programs. 

Michigan uses its own internal pipeline a lot more for Ph.D. admissions. Though a Michigan MS is well-respected, it won't be viewed quite as highly as the Harvard one if you end up looking to change institutions for your Ph.D.

Basically, if you do well at Harvard, you'll have a lot of good options for Ph.D. study, although Harvard itself may not be among them. If you do well at Michigan, you're almost certainly going to stay there for your Ph.D.

59 minutes ago, cyberwulf said:

If you do well at Michigan, you're almost certainly going to stay there for your Ph.D.

I can think of three-four students from one year of Michigan's MS that got into Harvard/Washington biostat PhDs or top 30 stats programs, though you are right in the sense that most don't bother to apply other places.  You can take any class in the statistics department at Michigan too, so you can get an good of preparation for a PhD as is possible, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, cyberwulf said:

Harvard doesn't seem to consistently admit their own Masters' students; however, a Harvard MS will get you into a lot of solid Ph.D. programs. 

Michigan uses its own internal pipeline a lot more for Ph.D. admissions. Though a Michigan MS is well-respected, it won't be viewed quite as highly as the Harvard one if you end up looking to change institutions for your Ph.D.

Basically, if you do well at Harvard, you'll have a lot of good options for Ph.D. study, although Harvard itself may not be among them. If you do well at Michigan, you're almost certainly going to stay there for your Ph.D.

Do you have any insights bout how well UW MS is regarded when re-applying for PhD?