Advice desperately needed: Current SLP student

Hello everyone,

I'll try to make this post short. 

I am currently in my first year of my SLP program. I have been doing great so far this year and I'm just about to start a clinical placement with my program. Unfortunately, this clinical placement is currently occurring during a turbulent time in my personal life. Additionally, I am also self-isolating before I can begin my placement in about a week. 

I've been self-isolating for over a week now and have experienced some severe mental health issues the length of my self-isolation (possible depressive episodes, anxiety attacks, not sleeping, not eating, etc.) and have considered withdrawing from this placement and taking it the next placement date when I may be in a better headspace. I have confirmed with my school this is possible, but I have been getting push back from family basically telling me to "suck it up". The placement doesn't start for another week so I want to decide before I begin. I've been trying to deal with these emotions for the length of my self-isolation and feel that it may be the best option for my mental health.

I really just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something like this, or am I being too dramatic? The thought of withdrawing and possible delaying my placements by 8 weeks doesn't bother me. It's just the attitudes I may have to face once I'm home. 

TL;DR: Stress + personal issues + clinical placement = Mental health issues affecting my ability to possibly complete placement. Withdrawing from current placement before it begins a viable option?

Thanks!

Hello @BlueWaters!

I truly believe that you should take the time that you need to be in a good headspace, but it might be a good idea to ask your advisors, a faculty member that you trust, and students in the program that you feel comfortable asking for advice about how this decision will affect your program completion. You might be able to use that feedback to alleviate any concerns that your family has. Moreover, as helpful as I try to be, they might be able to offer you more sound advice than strangers on the internet.

Depending on your university, you might be able to find student counseling services that are free or low-cost. At my undergraduate university, seeing a therapist was approximately $15/session. I was able to schedule the occasional emergency session during a traumatic time in my junior year, and continued with these services until I could find a more permanent counseling service through my insurance. If you choose to go this route, your service provider might be able to assist you in navigating interpersonal concerns with your family members over your decision about whether or not to delay your placement.

Best of luck,

-Jo

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what you ended up deciding but before I started my clinical rotations I became depressed. My body and mind finally had to time to deal with the prolonged stress and anxiety to deal with graduate school. During graduate school I had multiple instances of self doubt, anxiety and a professor that bullied me and made me feel inadequate. The best decision I ever made was to utilize the counseling center through my school. Most programs will have free or reduced rates for services. It was my first time receiving counseling and was nervous but it was so worth it. My practicum was also a welcome distraction from my emotions. It was a process and sometimes I'm still learning to deal with my triggers (hello 2020 and a cfy during a global pandemic) but I'm so proud of myself that I invested in myself and my mental health. Obviously you know yourself better than any of us do online but I personally knew I needed to push through with help and let me tell you that it's a better world out their compared to graduate school. In my experience my clinical supervisors were so supportive and encouraging and helped to improve my confidence. Please pm if you need anything else! You've got this and you should be proud of yourself for recognizing you might need to take a step back.