Questions on email telling a MA program they're your first choice

bemusedbobcat

Hi!

I am on a waitlist for a MA program and I was told it is likely they will be able to offer me a position. This MA program is my top choice. After receiving their email about two weeks ago I responded with "...if my status changes to accepted I will look forward to studying in your MA program...". 

I think by that response it is clear that they are my first choice, no? God I am second-guessing everything.

Since I am not sure about that, I wrote (but haven't sent yet) a second email:

"I would like to ask if there have been any movements on the waitlist. Furthermore, I would like to emphasize that X's MA program is my top choice. I can confirm my attendance if admitted before the national April 15th deadline".

I am using that question more as an excuse to tell the program they are my top choice. Do you have any better ideas? The deadline applies for MA programs as well, correct? Is the second email really necessary - even if it was clear by my first one? Should I wait more to send this second email?

I also do not want to sound desperate to the program, but... I AM DESPERATE

I thank you in advance if anyone responds!

Staying in touch, especially as we inch closer to April, isn't a bad idea.

I'd phrase it something like this: 

Hi Dr. XYZ,

I just wanted to follow up with you regarding any movement on the waitlist for the MA program at [University of My Dreams name]. The program is my first choice and as we head into April, I just wanted to reaffirm my interest in attending the program at [Dream School Name].

Keep it succinct; they can always follow up with you if they have more questions, but you'll be more likely to have someone read and respond to a short email. 

Good luck! 

One caveat: If you’re hoping for funding you‘re giving away what little leverage you have left for what essentially amounts to very little gained given your last email.

If, however, funding isn’t on the table then a succint email touching base isn’t a bad idea - though I’d personally wait until Friday, April 2nd since the optics will look better given it’s a friday.

On 3/27/2021 at 1:49 AM, musicdegree4me said:

One caveat: If you’re hoping for funding you‘re giving away what little leverage you have left for what essentially amounts to very little gained given your last email.

If, however, funding isn’t on the table then a succint email touching base isn’t a bad idea - though I’d personally wait until Friday, April 2nd since the optics will look better given it’s a friday.

They said given my position on the waitlist, it's likely they will offer me not only the position in the program but also a TA-ship + awards. I had previously understood it as saying that the funding would come with the admission. I am not as sure now that you mentioned it. 

Why do you think it would be better to send an email next Friday only?

Edited by bemusedbobcat

@musicdegree4me I am on a funding waitlist for a phd program. Can you please elaborate on wether this same analogy "giving away what little leverage you have left for what essentially amounts to very little gained" applies to my situation? I have emailed my POI reiterating my interest on Friday and updating him on my discussion with the admissions coordinator, haven't heard back yet :(. I am thinking of emailing the admissions coordinator sometimes next week using a similar email structure as above, do you all think this is a good idea?

Good luck everyone!!

On 3/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, BabyFarmer said:

Staying in touch, especially as we inch closer to April, isn't a bad idea.

I'd phrase it something like this: 

Hi Dr. XYZ,

I just wanted to follow up with you regarding any movement on the waitlist for the MA program at [University of My Dreams name]. The program is my first choice and as we head into April, I just wanted to reaffirm my interest in attending the program at [Dream School Name].

Keep it succinct; they can always follow up with you if they have more questions, but you'll be more likely to have someone read and respond to a short email. 

Good luck! 

Thank you for this! I sent an email to the MA program at UWMilwaukee since it's been 3 weeks since I've heard from them that I was placed on a waitlist.

This is my first choice so far so I really hope I can get in but... I wasn't 'high' on the waitlist so seems like my chances are slim ?

On 3/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, A_bad_philosopher said:

Thank you for this! I sent an email to the MA program at UWMilwaukee since it's been 3 weeks since I've heard from them that I was placed on a waitlist.

This is my first choice so far so I really hope I can get in but... I wasn't 'high' on the waitlist so seems like my chances are slim ?

I saw you earlier mentioned about Brandeis being your top choice. Did you hear from them? 

Edited by Himself

On 3/30/2021 at 1:08 AM, A_bad_philosopher said:

I was also placed on the waitlist of UWMilwaukee too. So desperate to know the outcome.

16 hours ago, Himself said:

I saw you earlier mentioned about Brandeis being your top choice. Did you hear from them? 

Unfortunately no. I haven't heard back from them at all. No acceptance, waitlist, rejection. Kinda confused.

15 hours ago, potato juice said:

I was also placed on the waitlist of UWMilwaukee too. So desperate to know the outcome.

Same here. I've emailed Dr. Boehm about the waitlist movement and she just said "3 people have accepted their offers and we are currently waiting on the other 4." I am not entirely sure what this means in terms of my prospects though ?

On 3/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, bemusedbobcat said:

They said given my position on the waitlist, it's likely they will offer me not only the position in the program but also a TA-ship + awards. I had previously understood it as saying that the funding would come with the admission. I am not as sure now that you mentioned it. 

Why do you think it would be better to send an email next Friday only?

I'm not musicdegree4me, but if you have a better funding offer from a similar program, you may be able to get the offer increased. I spent a couple of weeks reading about how to do this, and ended up with more clear funding for summer (they could not increase my stipend because of union agreements). I've seen reports that people have had their offer increased up to a few thousand and a couple up to ten. Someone on Facebook mentioned their moving costs covered by the department.