Second MFA?

R Westy

I was poking around and couldn't find discussion on this, but if you know of a thread, please direct me there! 

I'm trying to decide whether to apply for a second MFA, this time in poetry (first one was in fiction), and also considering applying to creative writing PhDs. I know that some MFAs explicitly state they won't accept applicants who already have an MFA, but I wonder if that also holds true if the applicant wants to work in a different genre than before.... Does anyone have any thoughts/resources on this? Thanks! 

I have heard of people with double PhDs, as well as MFAs and MAs, and actually did know someone with a double MFA; I think you should apply and center your focus on how you want to apply the MFA practically.  Best of luck!

"Applicants who have previously completed all or part of an advanced degree in creative writing at another university should include a separate letter explaining what special circumstances lead them to pursue an MFA at Brown (this should be uploaded with your personal statement – but should start a new page, and carry a header of 'Work toward a master's degree in a related field'). Without this explanatory letter, the faculty will not review the application. (The primary accepted basis for completing a second advanced degree in writing is the stated desire to pursue work in a different genre.) "

https://www.brown.edu/academics/literary-arts/graduate/admission/admission

I have a friend who did this-- an MFA in one genre at a lesser-known school, then an MFA in another genre at a top program a few years later. They were seriously working in the second genre before they applied for the second MFA-- got a couple pieces published, and won a contest. Now they're doing a PhD in the second genre.

So it's definitely possible! I think you probably just need to clearly show in your application that you're serious about poetry and are actively writing, and not just applying for more school out of feeling lost for what to do next...