Jump to content

Starbuck420

Members
  • Content Count

    20
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Starbuck420

  • Rank
    Decaf

Profile Information

  • Interests
    Attending, F 2020: UConn (terminal MA)
  • Application Season
    2020 Fall
  • Program
    English MA

Recent Profile Visitors

254 profile views
  1. this is actually a misleading headline but still
  2. https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2020/04/13/boston-university-is-first-to-announce-it-may-postpone-its-fall-term-until-january-2021/amp/ * gulp *
  3. It sounds like you have a fully funded MA offer, which is rare, and thus hard to pass up. I think you should take it unless you're really unenthusiastic about the school. If you do well, or even only reasonably well, it can only improve your chances at most (all?) PhD programs I also don't know if it's possible to defer GTA funding in a normal year, and think it is even less likely to happen now, since universities are likely to be tightening their belts in the face of the recession. Congrats on the acceptances! a funded offer of this kind is something to be proud of
  4. The pandemic could change things, but in an ordinary year I think it’s very likely you’d get into these same programs next with the same aid package. I believe programs like Boston College, Northeastern, U Chicago and others tend to refer strong PhD applicants to their MA programs consistently, year after year, though they always offer standard aid packages. So, I think it’s likely you’ll have these offers on the table if you reapply next year, though as others note it’s obviously not a sure thing, so I definitely get the appeal to take one of them now I have already weighed in on this, but I’m basically in the same position, so will just chime in again briefly: the terminal MA to PhD can definitely work. We know that it works for a lot of people. That said, it obviously does not always lead to a top PhD placement, so you definitely have to consider what you might do if you don’t get into a suitable PhD program. Teach high school? community college? try your hand in the professional world? all viable options, and in most cases the MA will help, but the added debt complicates things, and increases the risk by a lot Personally, I think it’s a good idea to apply to funded MAs in the next cycle, but there’s no guarantee of success there, so it’s really a tough choice. IMO, it is wise to consider the worst case scenario with the partially funded MA, and to ask yourself if you’re ok with that. Best of luck to you in any case! It’s a tough situation, I totally empathize
  5. In some workplaces where workers have voted to unionize, but where the employer has not yet recognized the union, management will argue that a union isnt necessary because there’s already a group like this in place, which supposedly (according to the employer) already functions as a union, even though it affords workers none of the protections a union affords. The employer does this so that they don’t have to pay higher wages, better benefits, or give the workers any of the legal protections a union can give its workers In short—and i fully concede that i know nothing about this situation in particular—my guess is that BU just doesn’t want to recognize the union because they’re afraid they might have to pay their grad students more if they did. This stinks, imo!
  6. I am in a similar situation. Waiting to hear back from Villanova about funding, and waiting on any word at all from Bucknell. I am not as experienced as others here, but I would say that you should not cave to pressure from programs to decide before the Apr 15 deadline. Take all the time you need, and let them know as soon as you've made a decision. That is your only obligation For me, the single biggest deciding factor with the MA is cost of attendance. It's really hard to get a funded terminal MA, as you probably know, and it is not a degree you want to go into debt for. As for choosing between funded offers, I understand it's sort of a crapshoot. If you plan to go on to a PhD, you should try and figure out which of the programs you're considering has a better placement record (this can be done by probing sites like this one, and by querying current or former students). If you're thinking of teaching at a community college, obviously you would want good teaching experience and support. Another consideration, honestly, is the level of financial support. Is the stipend enough to live on? I have one funded MA offer with a stipend that is probably not livable, so will likely decline for that reason. But definitely wait to hear back from everyone about funding before you make a decision! I think it would be unwise to choose a program with a decision still pending. If they don't reach out to you soon, you may want to contact them directly, yes. I definitely share your anxiety on this one, it's terrifying.
  7. Right, but I think this is their worst case scenario planning, so am optimistic it will only be half of that? I think it's about to get really bad, so we'll have to see
  8. frankly, guys, I am planning not to attend in person classes in the fall. I work at the world’s main STM publisher, and hearing that bosses expect 18 months of telework
  9. Wondering: is it considered poor form to ask departments about the possibility of a deferral? I have no knowledge of best practices here, and there is basically no one I can ask I only applied to terminal MA programs (planning to move on to a PhD after the MA) and was admitted to several fully funded programs that I am enthusiastic about, but am now wondering whether or not it is wise to leave my stable job for grad school as we are hurtling into--quite possibly--a depression. To be clear, I would attend if I deferred, but I would use the year to save a little money, and hopefully to give the economy some time to recover, so that I didn't graduate into an absolute depression Thoughts?
  10. dropped off the forum for a while, but obviously am back and am now up to date on the ongoing Corona Discourse. The literature seems to say yes to this question, so will ask away
  11. Do folks think it's appropriate to ask Professors whether or not their Department is planning for the possibility that in-person classes might not take place in the fall? We'll see what happens, but it seems like this is a definite possibility, so it doesn't feel outrageous to ask imo, but want to get others' thoughts if possible. Also, anyone else getting nervous about leaving their job as this global recession (possible depression, tbh) looms? I sure am
  12. Indeed! The program seems to be in full Cash Cow mode now. The fact they are offering this unfunded program at all is cruel and irresponsible I would say, based on my experience living in DC, that it's pretty much impossible to get by here on anything less than ~25K, and even then it's still extremely unpleasant to live here unless you're making significantly more than that (think $37k+), so to offer an MA in literature in this city that is completely unfunded is absolutely predatory. We're talking total cost of $100k+, while enjoying a very low standard of living throughout. I hadn't looked at the website and did not realize that they are now deliberately misleading people. That is really shameful. So, note to all: do not attend! do not even apply! The university is trying to prey on your desire to earn a degree from an elite institution, plain and simple, and ought to be ashamed of themselves The part that really gets me about this is that, inevitably, some people who can't afford it (which you have to assume is pretty much everyone in the country) will end up attending because they want it on their resume, or because they think it will lead to a big payoff. This is a payoff that (most here would agree, I'm sure) will probably never come. Thinking of making a separate post on this later to warn future applicants. imo, this is much worse than Chicago's MAPH, which is pretty transparent about cost, and is only 1 year, so is about 50-60K less (!!!), all told. They really should not offer this program if they can't fund it at all. but they'll continue to offer it because they know that they'll have buyers, basically, and that is completely shameful. They will literally ruin the lives of untold students
  13. Unrelated, but out of curiosity, Dmitri, did Georgetown offer you any funding? I got in right out of undergrad and deferred because they didn't award me funding, but later got an email stating they were cutting all funding for the program, and decided not to formally file the deferral. don't think I would have gone there anyhow, nor do I think I would've received one of the very competitive awards, but am just curious to know
  14. Thanks for the response! My research has been in critical theory (mostly Marxism) and 19th century American lit, though my interests are broad and still a little unformed, so I expect them to become more focused during the MA (indeed this is part of the reason I am doing the MA) UConn seems to have faculty who do interesting research in critical theory and Marxism, but I'm a little turned off by the teaching load, which is 2:2 for new TAs, right off the bat
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.