Overwhelmed newbie

apotteba

Hello everyone. I'm going through threads and everything I'm seeing is making me a little nervous.

I am an accounting major fourth year student who VERY recently decided to study history in graduate school. I've been accepted to a summer research institute and I hope to get some research experience there, but besides that I have none. My undergrad GPA is sitting right above a 3.4 right now because I've been battling some mental health and trauma issues for a while and the pandemic hasn't helped. I got a 158 on the verbal GRE, 5 on the written (152 on math lol). I was thinking about studying Russian history, but I don't speak Russian at all. I was also considering Colombian history (I'm Colombian) as I speak Spanish and I know most doctoral programs have a language requirement. I don't know what sort of topic within that I'd be interested in- for the institutes I applied to this summer, I said economics, power exchanges and film were areas of interest. I'm taking my first college-level history classes this quarter. I wanted to go into academia but I've seen a lot of posts disparaging academia's pay, and if I get a Master's before a Doctorate I'll probably be in a lot of debt.

This is kind of word vomit but I feel like I've overwhelmed myself looking through the forum. I don't have a great GPA, I don't have much experience, and I'm still learning about studying history in an academically rigorous setting. Any advice? I would appreciate anything anyone has to say. 

I'm no expert by any means, but I do have a piece of anecdotal evidence that might encourage you to pursue a masters degree in History first. I was a history undergraduate major. In my first application cycle, one POI was kind enough to let me know where my application was lacking relative to other applicants. One issue was that they were concerned about the "depth and breadth" of my course work. Again, I was a history major... 

Your current academic track isn't even within the realm of social sciences. You might want to first pursue a masters degree in History to see if you're actually interested in the discipline and as a way to bolster your resume and therefore your chance of acceptance. 

9 hours ago, apotteba said:

Hello everyone. I'm going through threads and everything I'm seeing is making me a little nervous.

I am an accounting major fourth year student who VERY recently decided to study history in graduate school. I've been accepted to a summer research institute and I hope to get some research experience there, but besides that I have none. My undergrad GPA is sitting right above a 3.4 right now because I've been battling some mental health and trauma issues for a while and the pandemic hasn't helped. I got a 158 on the verbal GRE, 5 on the written (152 on math lol). I was thinking about studying Russian history, but I don't speak Russian at all. I was also considering Colombian history (I'm Colombian) as I speak Spanish and I know most doctoral programs have a language requirement. I don't know what sort of topic within that I'd be interested in- for the institutes I applied to this summer, I said economics, power exchanges and film were areas of interest. I'm taking my first college-level history classes this quarter. I wanted to go into academia but I've seen a lot of posts disparaging academia's pay, and if I get a Master's before a Doctorate I'll probably be in a lot of debt.

This is kind of word vomit but I feel like I've overwhelmed myself looking through the forum. I don't have a great GPA, I don't have much experience, and I'm still learning about studying history in an academically rigorous setting. Any advice? I would appreciate anything anyone has to say. 

Can you provide additional information about what this "summer research institute" will entail?

You have your work cut out for you. Most people will think that the ship has sailed. IMHO, the most important thing you can do right now is figure out what sorts of questions historians answer, what kinds of claims they make, and how they use evidence to support their claims. Being an academic means contributing to the production of historical knowledge and pushing debates within the field. Read academic history journals (I'd start with the American Historical Review, the Hispanic American Historical Review, and maybe other journals related to your interests in economics and film). Read The Craft of Research. Read an introduction to contemporary historical thought, like Sara Maza's Thinking About History. Then try to write research papers that replicate what you see in a smaller scale. If none of your classes assigns a research paper, ask one of your professors if you can write one as an optional assignment.

Part of this work will be learning that history is a massive field that comprises an overwhelming number of methodologies and theoretical approaches. If you wish to pursue history on the graduate level, you will need to identify which methods and theories inspire you the most and are most helpful for answering your burning questions about history and historiography.

Only when you really understand what academic history is about -- the language that it speaks, the knowledge that it creates, its terms of argumentation -- should you consider master's programs. And you should look for a program where tuition is free. Don't take on debt.

The problem with academic history as a profession is not the "pay," but the scarce supply of good jobs.

Edited by AfricanusCrowther

1 hour ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

Can you provide additional information about what this "summer research institute" will entail?

Thanks so much for your reply first of all. I appreciate the additional resources.

So the program is a research program dedicated to me researching my chosen topic and by the end of the summer having a 20 page paper written and a presentation over the content. I'm thinking it'll give me a really good insight into what grad school for history will look like, as I have essentially no experience. I'm finishing my accounting degree so I'll have that to fall back on if I hate this summer, but I'm really excited for it.

I feel for you as I myself got a BA in something completely unrelated. I just got admitted to a History PhD program this cycle after getting a terminal MA.

Have you had any chance to get to know any professors in history? I think I was able to get into an MA program because I took a history course during my final year of undergrad where I was able to produce a reasonable research paper (I also got a LoR from the professor) and build a case for myself. I also did not do an MA in history but a closely related interdisciplinary MA where I was advised by a professor in the history department. I figured it's best for me to get into an interdisciplinary program with good reputation utilizing my other strong features to cover up my lack of focus on history and build my history-related experience from there. I got to work with history professors during my MA and was able to get LoRs from them.

It would be great if there are any instructors who can guide you through writing a research paper in history during the summer institute. You'll need to have a strong writing sample to apply anyway.

My opinion on unfunded/ partially funded MA programs is a bit different from others in this forum. I went into a program with no funding promised, but I knew the program had multiple big funding opportunities and ended up spending much less than I expected. (I am also an international student, so it's extremely hard to get a funded MA offer) Overall, I got what I wanted out of the program: got a degree from a top-tier school and strong LoRs alongside strong research experience, which helped me get into a fully-funded doctoral program. But it was only worth it because I had a clear goal going into the program. I agree with @AfricanusCrowther on how you should know what academic history is about before you start your MA program. I am not encouraging you to take on a debt, but I just wanted to share my experience.

I know this isn't the advice you want to hear, but PLEASE consider using your accounting degree to its fullest extent. Your chances of secure, long-term employment with that degree are drastically better than those chances (especially in academia) after earning a history PhD.

As @AfricanusCrowther hinted, the academic job market is in disarray from COVID-19, but has gotten progressively worse since 2008.

Also, bluntly, I think you're too far behind the eight ball here. The only thing you really have going for you is your knowledge of Spanish. Outside of that, without a clear research agenda or well-developed skills, you're not going to have an easy time getting into a program worth attending.

With all that said, if you want to make your way towards a history PhD, I'd suggest reading the major journals of the field and looking into the possibility of a part-time MA. I know many programs offer them.

23 hours ago, apotteba said:

Thanks so much for your reply first of all. I appreciate the additional resources.

So the program is a research program dedicated to me researching my chosen topic and by the end of the summer having a 20 page paper written and a presentation over the content. I'm thinking it'll give me a really good insight into what grad school for history will look like, as I have essentially no experience. I'm finishing my accounting degree so I'll have that to fall back on if I hate this summer, but I'm really excited for it.

Sounds like a great opportunity -- but one research paper might not cut it. I would take any chance you can get in your last quarter to take on additional research projects.

Truthfully, I would really have a one-on-one conversation with history professors on your campus, especially those who have gotten their PhDs after 2008. They will answer a lot of your questions and concerns about how you can be prepared for a PhD in history and give you a realistic picture of what being in PhD is like (2-3 years of coursework, exams, and then 3-5 years of research and writing.... not to mention working avg of 20/wk as a teaching assistant as part of the funding packaga, unless you got fellowships to release you from that obligation).

If you want to speed up your Russian, I cannot recommend Middlebury's Language Schools enough and they have very generous scholarships.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:11 AM, AfricanusCrowther said:

Only when you really understand what academic history is about -- the language that it speaks, the knowledge that it creates, its terms of argumentation -- should you consider master's programs.

IDK if this standard is realistic. Who among us has not had those moments when we're sure that either we and/or the person who wrote a well received work doesn't know WTF history is about? 

@apotteba, I would suggest that you understand that it's going to take thousands of hours of work to get to the point where you understand history well enough to spend thousands of hours more work to create new knowledge. Along the way, you will face make or break tasks. Throughout, you will be competing for resources, funding, and support against other aspiring historians--some of whom will have been majoring in history since middle school.

IRT your opportunity this summer, I recommend that you visit the websites of highly regarded history departments to see if you can find documents related to the preparation of an undergraduate thesis or honors thesis. (To get you started, here's a link for Happyland University's senior essay.)

When it comes to developing a topic, I recommend that you ask yourself (at least) three questions simultaneously:

1. What topic/field/area/time period do you want to write about?
  2. What primary source materials are available? [I seriously screwed up on this one when I picked my dissertation topic.]
  3. What is the state of the historiographical debates? 
    • Understanding these debates is crucial because they will help you develop the specific questions and controversies you want your paper to address.

Concurrently, I recommend that you develop reading lists that help you to understand the following questions:

• What is history?
  • What is historiography?
  • Why is the study of history important today? [This is a trick question.]
  • What is the "state of the art" of your area[s] of interest?
  • How did the most accomplished and respected practitioners in your fields of interest develop their skills as historians?

(@AfricanusCrowther's recommendations are right as rain, this post is meant to serve as a rain jacket.)

At the same time:

• Start a journal (analog or digital) in which you start jotting down your questions / thoughts / theories about history.
    • Use the journal to develop your writing skills as a historian.
  • Obtain this style manual . 

IRT your stated interests, try to imagine questions and themes that may link them together and from there generate questions and imagine themes that may take you further along the path or towards different paths. (Just spit balling, how about a comparative study of how film was used to alter configurations of power in Russia and Columbia at either the same time or under the same conditions (examples include the efforts of the U.S. to expand its power in the Western Hemisphere and Eastern Europe. 

ETA:

Something to keep in mind, COVID-19 has underscored the extent to which academics and other professionals in the Ivory Tower don't know how to read a balance sheet, much less decipher it. And at the same time, academic history remains a profession in crisis.

How about using your accounting skills to prepare a research paper that is essentially an audit of the AHA?  Your source materials would include the documents available here. You could evaluate the financial performance of the AHA against KPI identified, if not clearly defined, by the association itself. You could also compare the AHA to other professional organizations (history and/or other disciplines). You could also discuss the way the AHA and other organizations have used data the last couple of decades -- do these uses reflect the best practices of professional accountants?

Edited by Sigaba

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, TMP said:

I would really have a one-on-one conversation with history professors on your campus, especially those who have gotten their PhDs after 2008.

100% this. I think we could all do with a meeting of this sort!

If this is possible for you, do this.

edit: Getting into the practice of prioritizing advice from faculty and Ph.D. holding people who meet this 'after-2008' category is essential, imo.

Edited by time_consume_me