Massive data breach at several US Universities - Prospective/Applicant student data leaked.

pinkgradient

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/04/05/universities-affected-it-security-company-data-breach

This might be of interest to anyone who applied to these schools this cycle. It looks like the hackers have stolen sensitive information (including SSNs) from applicants and prospective students.

Edit: another link:

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2021/04/01/hackers-leak-social-security-numbers-student-data-in-massive-data-breach/

Looks like UC Boulder, Syracuse, Stanford, and the University of Miami were all targets.

Edited by pinkgradient

Thanks for sharing! I wonder why these application systems ask for our SSNs at all as it seems pretty unnecessary and poses a clear risk to applicants in the event of a security breach like this one ? Even if it is necessary for some reason, why not just wait until after the applicant has been accepted?

2 hours ago, eleatics said:

Thanks for sharing! I wonder why these application systems ask for our SSNs at all as it seems pretty unnecessary and poses a clear risk to applicants in the event of a security breach like this one ? Even if it is necessary for some reason, why not just wait until after the applicant has been accepted?

The last four #s of the SSN are present on many transcripts.  UC Davis requires applicants to remove or sharpie-out these numbers.  The application goes in the trash if you don't.  Otherwise, I have no idea how SSN would be a part of the application.

Just now, PHILOKEV said:

The last four #s of the SSN are present on many transcripts.  UC Davis requires applicants to remove or sharpie-out these numbers.  The application goes in the trash if you don't.  Otherwise, I have no idea how SSN would be a part of the application.

I pretty distinctly remember entering my full SSN in a few application portals, usually in the residence/citizenship section of the application. I have no clue why universities need them prior to admission.