CSULA vs. SFSU?

SkepticFutile

I know there are some discusses about choosing between these two. But they didn't match my worrying. So, I decide to launch a new topic.

I regard their placement as at the same level, for although SFSU sent much more students to phd programs, its cohort is large, too.

One of the pro points for me to choose CSULA is it provides non-thesis option, which is thought that would concentrate one on WS, while SFSU certainly needs a thesis for gradutation.

As for academic interests, as an international student who needs time to be accustomed to work in a new way, I keep open to all theoretical philosophy areas.

Neither of the two provides funding for internationals, but TA-ship seems to be available, though competitive.

Any remarks or rebuttals? It seems to be necessary to decide before Apr. 15th (which is also what I learned here).

17 minutes ago, PhilCoffee said:

But I'm actually wondering how much difference networking can make for an MA student.

Agree. At present, I only concern how they train me and the result I would reasonably expect (as represented by placements).

• 2 weeks later...

After further inquiry, I lean on SFSU for it seems to pay more attentions to advise students, as well as the better placement in recent two years.

(Especially on placement, Dr. Shim told me that their placement was gathered volunteerly. So it is not as accurate or transparent as I thought before.)

However, I found information about choosing between those two programs in this forum turns out to lean on CSULA. So I hope to hear some defeaters here.

For what it's worth, a student who finished that program in 2020 advised me not to attend. My correspondence with the grad admissions chair was pretty cold in comparision with my discussions with the admissions chairs at CSULB and New Mexico. Now, last application season was very stressful, so please keep in mind:

(1) This is not a comment on the grad chair from last year's character. I do not know him personally at all.

(2) I have never been to CSULA, I have only attended a Zoom course - and that was just fine!!

But, the student I talked to said that GAships and the like had dried up - and he didn't sound particularly enthused about the future. However, I heard excellent things about the faculty and cohort environment. 

I would suggest also looking at CSULB if you're looking at terminal M.A. programs in California. Actually, scratch that, I'd highly recommend it. I've had a better than expected time here (and I expected good) and my interests fall outside of what is typical among faculty and my cohort (I'm more "continental" by a really long shot). The admissions chair is extremely helpful and responsive - and critical when he ought to be. He keeps tabs on just about everything that would help a graduate student, he's well-read across the discipline, he knows where you ought to apply (and not apply) based on your interests, he makes sure you have what you need (GAships, etc.), forwards conferences relevant to your interests, etc. If your interests are not "typical" for the department, he'll find courses in other departments that might be helpful. He's gone over and above what I think any student can reasonably expect from someone in his role. The accepted placements I know of from this year's graduating class were into Duke University and UC Irvine. I don't know anything about other students - the whole pandemic thing has made that a bit difficult, as you might imagine. Feel free to contact me in my messages!

3 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

For what it's worth, a student who finished that program in 2020 advised me not to attend. My correspondence with the grad admissions chair was pretty cold in comparision with my discussions with the admissions chairs at CSULB and New Mexico. Now, last application season was very stressful, so please keep in mind:

(1) This is not a comment on the grad chair from last year's character. I do not know him personally at all.

(2) I have never been to CSULA, I have only attended a Zoom course - and that was just fine!!

But, the student I talked to said that GAships and the like had dried up - and he didn't sound particularly enthused about the future. However, I heard excellent things about the faculty and cohort environment. 

I would suggest also looking at CSULB if you're looking at terminal M.A. programs in California. Actually, scratch that, I'd highly recommend it. I've had a better than expected time here (and I expected good) and my interests fall outside of what is typical among faculty and my cohort (I'm more "continental" by a really long shot). The admissions chair is extremely helpful and responsive - and critical when he ought to be. He keeps tabs on just about everything that would help a graduate student, he's well-read across the discipline, he knows where you ought to apply (and not apply) based on your interests, he makes sure you have what you need (GAships, etc.), forwards conferences relevant to your interests, etc. If your interests are not "typical" for the department, he'll find courses in other departments that might be helpful. He's gone over and above what I think any student can reasonably expect from someone in his role. The accepted placements I know of from this year's graduating class were into Duke University and UC Irvine. I don't know anything about other students - the whole pandemic thing has made that a bit difficult, as you might imagine. Feel free to contact me in my messages!

There is actually someone going to Pitt HPS from CSULB this year, according to the placement info available on their web page.

Edited by PhilCoffee

8 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Thanks for your dedicated reply!

I wish I could see your recommendation to CSULB one month before, since as an international applicant, I had missed the deadline. What a pity! I cannot remember why I omitted this excellent school when I was filling out the CSU application system. It directs on my interest, has responsible advisors and formal trainings (even non-thesis option while applying for phd is available? I understand 'paper portfolio' option as that) and seems financially friendly. Poor me!

Your remarks on CSULA is also valuable to me. And I share the same experience with you when I emailed to Dr. Shim. I am more tending to SFSU, but I would ask some of their graduates as well as enrolling students first.

Thanks again!

12 hours ago, PhilCoffee said:

There is actually someone going to Pitt HPS from CSULB this year, according to the placement info available on their web page.

Oh, wow, that must be recent information! That was the person who was also admitted to Duke and some overseas program as well, I believe.