How to decline an offer I've already accepted??

I didn't get funding at any programs I applied to (which is basically status quo for my field), so as my decisions came in I realized I had to go with the most affordable program. I accepted admissions to an almost affordable but still expensive program around May 10th (a generous extension after the final deadline). I was still waiting to hear back from several schools but I couldn't take the chance that I wouldn't be accepted anywhere else and thus left with nowhere to go in the end. I JUST heard back from a school that is basically the same academics-wise but half the price. Going to this second school would make my life so much easier in terms of finances, so I am 99% sure that I am going there.

My question is: How do I let the original school know that I do not plan on attending anymore? Again, I did not receive funding from any school, so the only thing I signed was an admissions deposit. I am not doing this to screw any schools or applicants over, I'm doing this so I can attend a school that I can actually afford.

Thank you!

Well, first you have to call the university where you accepted the offer and ask for a release. If they grant it then you go ahead and accept the other offer. If they dont release you, you dont have to go but you are on the hook for a full semester of tuition and fees

Here's an update in case anyone else is in the same position. I called school #1 today and explained my situation, and the admissions counselor was completely understanding. It was no problem at all, and I am not liable for any tuition or fees whatsoever. I did lose my tuition deposit, but I expected to as they made it clear from the beginning that the deposit is non-refundable.

I was just put into this situation as of today. However, the first school has not yet cashed my $300 deposit yet. I can cancel that check through my bank while letting them know about my decision not to attend, right? That's money I'd like to keep (and put toward my new school).

I was just put into this situation as of today. However, the first school has not yet cashed my $300 deposit yet. I can cancel that check through my bank while letting them know about my decision not to attend, right? That's money I'd like to keep (and put toward my new school).

The Council of Graduate Schools really only covers offers of "financial aid". They DO NOT cover offers of admission. You do not need to ask for a release at all. You owe them nothing except for common professional courtesy (which I recommend you give.) You lost your seat deposit perhaps, but you don't need to "ask" them to do anything. This is a common misconception with the council of graduate schools and offers of admission. Good luck!

Oops and by "financial aid" I mean TAships, fellowships, etc..not student loans. :)

Thanks for the advice. I felt so guilty because I had finally reconciled myself with attending that particular school (plus the admissions staff was the most helpful and communicative). But I got into my dream school and couldn't really turn that down since the first wasn't offering me financial aid.

• 8 months later...

Thnx.. I too had the same question in mind for some time..

Here's an update in case anyone else is in the same position. I called school #1 today and explained my situation, and the admissions counselor was completely understanding. It was no problem at all, and I am not liable for any tuition or fees whatsoever. I did lose my tuition deposit, but I expected to as they made it clear from the beginning that the deposit is non-refundable.

• 3 years later...

The Council of Graduate Schools really only covers offers of "financial aid". They DO NOT cover offers of admission. You do not need to ask for a release at all. You owe them nothing except for common professional courtesy (which I recommend you give.) You lost your seat deposit perhaps, but you don't need to "ask" them to do anything. This is a common misconception with the council of graduate schools and offers of admission. Good luck!

So if i accept and reject before April 15, and accept another schools offer, will I be in trouble(legal or otherwise ?

• 1 year later...

I am in a similar situation. I have been offered TA position from a university and the deadline to accept this offer is tomorrow. I am still waiting for the decision from other universities. In order to accept this offer I have to sign the letter and send them. I wanted to know if I will be able to decline this offer after accepting it, in case I get some better offer.  Will there be some legal issue if I do so?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use