Anyone have/had any experience with Rutgers M.A. Interdisciplinary Classics and Ancient History track?

minaaataur

No, but I was an undergrad student there and it is, for many reasons, a great place to be. Department is small enough for individual attention, campus is nice, easy train ride to NYC and Philly. Hopefully that answers at least one question you might have had...

So, I was an undergrad there and tried to major in the Classics/AH track, but I ended up switching to full Classics. I'm not sure how different it is for the MA, but if it means you're in both the history and classics departments, I think most of the classes you take will end up being within the classics department itself. No one knew about the track when I talked about it, and all of my professors were in the classics dept., so I just went and did a full classics major. But again that was undergrad so I'm not sure if the MA is a different thing! Either way I loved the department and it's a great place to be.

Hi there.

Current undergrad at Rutgers. 

I think ideally that track would have you take more ancient history seminars than the regular Classics track would have you take. However, the department’s graduate offerings are small. I do not think they would offer enough history seminars to complete the history track. I think the track is still on the books, but the current offerings are geard toward the regular Classics track focussing on Greek and Latin. You could email the graduate director, Tim Power. He certainly would know more. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:31 PM, suntaliquidmanes said:

No, but I was an undergrad student there and it is, for many reasons, a great place to be. Department is small enough for individual attention, campus is nice, easy train ride to NYC and Philly. Hopefully that answers at least one question you might have had...

Yes its a great department! I've studied at RU before they introduced this program.  Thank you so much for your help!

On 4/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, Catalystica said:

So, I was an undergrad there and tried to major in the Classics/AH track, but I ended up switching to full Classics. I'm not sure how different it is for the MA, but if it means you're in both the history and classics departments, I think most of the classes you take will end up being within the classics department itself. No one knew about the track when I talked about it, and all of my professors were in the classics dept., so I just went and did a full classics major. But again that was undergrad so I'm not sure if the MA is a different thing! Either way I loved the department and it's a great place to be.

Thats great info! Thanks so much. Im sure the undergrad AH track is similar to MA program.  

On 4/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, ctbnj said:

Hi there.

Current undergrad at Rutgers. 

I think ideally that track would have you take more ancient history seminars than the regular Classics track would have you take. However, the department’s graduate offerings are small. I do not think they would offer enough history seminars to complete the history track. I think the track is still on the books, but the current offerings are geard toward the regular Classics track focussing on Greek and Latin. You could email the graduate director, Tim Power. He certainly would know more. 

Fingers crossed if we're meant to take more AH courses.  I know for sure they are super accommodating and looking to expand their Classics program tracks (sadly unlike other programs from my experience).  Tim Power is great! Thanks so much for your insight.