Help a foreigner out? Looking for the perfect programme

Woolfme

Hi guys, it's my first entry here as I begin searching for the perfect PhD programme 

Here are the details: I'm currently researching the extreme right in Brazil (where I'm from), from a theoretical-post-marxist-laclaunian-mouffian-kinda-foucauldian perspective. Wanna find the perfect place to pursue the research I'm currently doing (my master's degree is on history of political thought/political theory). It is my undestanding that it's not that easy to find programmes alligned with that post-structuralist perspective, so I wanted to hear your thoughts on what you guys think would be good picks. Right now, I'm obssessed with Berkeley's centre for right wing studies, so I would like to hear yout thooughts on that too :) 

Thank you so much, I'm so glad I found this forum!

Hello and welcome to GadCafé. I suspect the forum is less active than usual after each admissions cycle ends and before the next one starts. I am as far away from normative political theory as one could possibly be, and I unfortunately do not know many theorists. However, one of the moderators seems to be a theory person @Theory007. I leave the user mentioned here :) 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:49 PM, Woolfme said:

Hi guys, it's my first entry here as I begin searching for the perfect PhD programme 

Here are the details: I'm currently researching the extreme right in Brazil (where I'm from), from a theoretical-post-marxist-laclaunian-mouffian-kinda-foucauldian perspective. Wanna find the perfect place to pursue the research I'm currently doing (my master's degree is on history of political thought/political theory). It is my undestanding that it's not that easy to find programmes alligned with that post-structuralist perspective, so I wanted to hear your thoughts on what you guys think would be good picks. Right now, I'm obssessed with Berkeley's centre for right wing studies, so I would like to hear yout thooughts on that too :)

Thank you so much, I'm so glad I found this forum!

I'd look at UCLA and Johns Hopkins for as they are probably the centers of continental thought in the US. But lots of programs will have some theory professors who do continental thought and would be able to supervise what you are interested in. I'd look at the theory faculty in all programs in the top-50 ish and see where you'd be a good fit. Applications are tough and many qualified applicants do not get in anywhere so I'd encourage you to apply broadly.