2021 Cycle - Lessons, Advice, and New Plans

EileanDonan

Hi folks,

Now that we're finally coming down from the last cycle, I thought it might be helpful if we processed the things we learned and experienced.

For those who were rejected, what do you wish you had done differently? What particularly caught you off guard? What do you plan to do this year to boost you for the next cycle? Etc.

For those who were accepted, was there anything about your approach to applying/interviewing that you felt really boosted your candidacy? Anything you think future applicants should focus on? Etc.

I'll start; for reference, I was not accepted.

• One element of my interview prep I should have bettered considered was developing specific ideas for what I would do for my thesis/dissertation. I realize this degree of specificity may or may not actually come up in conversation with a POI, but you really don't want to be unprepared here should it be brought up. Do you have to necessarily narrow it down precisely? Probably not, but having a general hypothesis, population, and basic methodology is preferable. You should also be able to defend why you would pursue this idea, and how it builds upon the lab's work.
  • Similar to the above, be prepared to defend why your particular research focus/foci is important to the field; if you're aiming for clinical, be prepared to explain why studying X is useful for better understanding and treating patients (whether you actually plan on going into practice or not.)
  • I think there is something to be said for having clinically-oriented work/volunteer experience, especially if it's relevant to your research focus. While this obviously comes second to doing research, having stories to share that were more "human interest" was useful and relatable.
  • These are specific things that came up for me; otherwise, the usual advice about reaching out to POI's before submission, prepping a bunch of your own questions, familiarizing yourself with the literature, and practicing interviewing with someone are also things I would echo.
    • My own application prep suggestion: looking at the backgrounds/CVs of your POI's current grad students is the best, most realistic sense you're going to get of what you should be doing to develop your candidacy in a given POI's eyes. Not saying that you need to be worried about making yourself a carbon copy of the advisees (unless they actually do seem weirdly cookie-cutter?...), but if, for example, everyone had experience with XYZ software before applying, then it would be worth determining how you could get that experience yourself if you haven't already. Or if they all have experience with ABC population, and you don't, see about spending some volunteer time with that pop in the coming months (e.g. want to go into forensic psych? Volunteer as a prison tutor or as a tech in a juvenile detention center.) Have they all done an undergrad thesis? If you haven't, push harder to get your own name on pubs/posters in your current lab.

This coming cycle, I'll be pushing to vary my technical skills, continuing to work through the literature for study ideas, and I'll also be putting more effort into reaching out to POI's ahead of time in the fall.

Feel free to share any good thoughts!

I was an alternate in two different programs, and didn't get either slot, which really was a punch to the gut. I wish I'd applied to more programs (I only applied to five), and I also wish I'd avoided the big name schools entirely-- there's something to be said for schools that are really good, but aren't as well known. I also don't know if I did a good enough job relating my current career (I'm pivoting) to the programs I was applying for. Frankly, I think my first denial messed with my head a bit, and put a lot of self doubt in my head. 

That said, I'm taking a break. I was admitted to a masters program, and that will hopefully help me the next time I do my applications. Best of luck next time, everyone!

For me, I applied to 12, interviewed at 3, was accepted to one and accepted that offer. I'll say something that I think helped me, and I'll definitely echo what was said before about knowing your area of interest. I felt that during my interview with the PI who accepted me in comparison to the other interviews I had, I was able to most clearly articulate my research interests and paint a picture of what I'm interested in in a way that demonstrated I am knowledgeable about the area I want to study. A lot of PI's are able to sniff out depth of interest and knowledge in a subject because they are experts themselves in a similar topic (hopefully, because you should apply to PI's where you have a good research fit). So rather than saying, I'm interested in XYZ, be able to say I'm interested in XYZ because of this this or this specific aspect of this topic. To me, that's always been the most important thing is being able to paint a picture to a PI of what your work will be like and what kinds of things they will be helping you with. That being said, with my other two interviews, that was the aspect of what felt off to me when I did interview at those places. I don't think I communicated this information as well. 

Something random I also think that helped: my research topic was similar to other students in the lab, but not the same. I noticed a lot of the PI's students focused on similar phenomena within the same disorder. My interests were definitely along a similar vein, but looking at a different phenomena within that disorder. I guess the point would be, I would think maybe PI's don't want all of their students to necessarily study the exact same thing? And bringing something slightly different that what they are already doing but that's definitely within their capability to study, might be refreshing for a PI. This is something that, again, I don't necessarily think I had at the other interviews I did. 

Congrats to everyone for making it through this rough process, it's hella defeating. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread!  I applied to three programs, interviewed at one, and was told I was extremely close at another.  (the last one I have a mtg with the program director this summer).

I was not prepared for the school I interviewed with at all.  I had identified one PI who had historically not taken a student.  The other PI identified did not meet with me.  I met with three others that I was not versed in their work.  I really enjoyed one of the three but was not a fit for them. I say all of that to say, I was unprepared and the fit was not there.  

One thing I plan to do differently is volunteer to research over the next few months.  This is sort of a privilege opportunity as I am not responsible for the majority of my family's income.  Additionally, I intend to continue to teach adjunctly at a University local to my current residence.  In preparing for the next cycle I intend to find schools that fit a little better with my interests and consider not just location.  ( I have a family--which limits me geographically speaking).

I believe I am a good candidate, that can be a better candidate. I did get feedback that my expertise in one area was intimidating by a PI (I am not a subject matter expert)

Point of reference: 4.0 master's gpa, two scholarships, one major conference proposal/presentation, some grant experience, and in depth community analysis.