Georgetown (McCourt) MPP 2022

5 hours ago, Ľlllllllllllkll said:

To those accepted, are you straight from undergrad or have you been working for some years? Just trying to get a sense of the mix of the class.

I was accepted into the Data Analytics program, I’ve worked for 10 years as a SWE. My academic background is in microbiology and bioinformatics.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, Ľlllllllllllkll said:

To those accepted, are you straight from undergrad or have you been working for some years? Just trying to get a sense of the mix of the class.

Students straight from undergrad are probably over represented in GradCafe for MPP. This is based on my time active on this forum.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:37 AM, Yengsterhoo said:

From their website: https://mccourt.georgetown.edu/new-students/tuition-financial-aid-and-scholarships/

"If you have received a merit-based scholarship from the McCourt School, you would have received notification of the award with your admission letter. These are competitive awards based on merit, not financial need.

Scholarships are automatically renewed at the equivalent level in the second year of study (and third year for MPP-Evening students) as long as the student remains in good academic standing (i.e. maintains a grade point average of at least 3.0).

For scholarship recipients in dual-degree programs, merit-based scholarships from McCourt are also renewable for one additional year, as long as you remain in good academic standing. The scholarship allocation may vary depending on which dual degree you pursue and when you start each portion of the dual program. Please reach out to Julie Ito at itoj@georgetown.edu if you wish to discuss your dual-degree status and scholarship distribution more specifically."

Here is the deal, maintaining a 3.0 is harder than it seems (especially if you have a major weakness - the big one is quant). If you get B-s and C's in quant (which has happened), its not that hard to find yourself with a 2.9 GPA and lose your scholarship for the next year. 

It happened to a few people I knew. One person even transferred out of the graduate program to another Georgetown Graduate Degree. Just be very confident in your academics and don't take the scholarship for granted. 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, LeO886 said:

I got accepted into the MIDP program. Very surprised given the small size of the program. I am straight out of undergrad with only about 1.5 yr of intern experience in think tanks. PS I am an international student. 

The MIDP program is interesting because they are hyper focused on fit and the traditional rules of standards don't readily apply to them. I have seen both straight from undergrad and people in their late 30s. Its honestly whatever Professor Wiebe thinks builds a class he wants. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, anxiousaf said:

Hi guys. Was hoping to make a discord/ whatsapp group of admitted students to discuss scholarships/ fellowships and if we end up accepting we can discuss the accommodation as well. On that note, any idea about the student living expenses in DC? Preferably near campus (15-20 minute walking distance) 

It varies greatly. I knew people who lived 3 to an apartment on the Virginia side and made it work with 1K a month of rent. I also knew people who spent 5k month on rent. It is all about as frugal as you want it to be.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:27 AM, anxiousaf said:

Hi guys. Was hoping to make a discord/ whatsapp group of admitted students to discuss scholarships/ fellowships and if we end up accepting we can discuss the accommodation as well. On that note, any idea about the student living expenses in DC? Preferably near campus (15-20 minute walking distance) 

I'm in!

On 1/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, Yengsterhoo said:

Accepted with 28.5k per year. Not sure how many dollar signs that is, but I am surprisingly shocked.

I'm in the same boat - let's connect! Trying to figure out what the right move is from here

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, publicpolicyispublicpeeing said:

Have not heard back from Georgetown's MPP yet, and currently sweating buckets (applied January 6, which is early action + funding opportunities I believe). Any advice/recent updates? 

1. You could check for an update. But don’t do it more than once.

2. Just wait. Admissions isn’t exactly a well oiled machine and go at their own pace. They lost my transcript like 3 times.

2 hours ago, publicpolicyispublicpeeing said:

Have not heard back from Georgetown's MPP yet, and currently sweating buckets (applied January 6, which is early action + funding opportunities I believe). Any advice/recent updates? 

I applied by that deadline too and to my understanding we won't get anything till like March probably.. so I'd still sit tight. I don't know what the typical timeline for decisions to be released are but I was thinking if it was mid-march and I haven't heard anything then you should be worried/take action.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Yengsterhoo said:

@GradSchoolGrad

What's the McCourt Scholars process like after being selected as a finalist?

So essentially McCourt Scholars is a two stage process (there are some modifications over time, but broadly, this would be how it is done).

Stage 1: You get the call for an interview. This is usually consists of two professors interviewing you who are generally aligned towards your professed policy interest area. This is because they generally want McCourt Scholars that have diversity in policy interest areas (and identity diversity in general). Usually those people who get to this stage impressed upon their interviewer with their policy interests/background per the application packet.

Stage 2: Based upon the interviews, there is generally a scholarship board that discusses who are the 5 or so people that get the scholarship. 

From the rumor mill. There have been lots of complaints in recent years that a shockingly high number (pushing even to vast majority in some years) of McCourt Scholars are not involved with the student community, and so more questions and more consideration for potential community involvement have been structured.

Winning the Game:

There are essentially 2 things that give you a leg up on getting a McCourt Scholarship

a. Coming from a top brand undergraduate and/or master's institution. If you went to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Oxford/Cambridge your chances of getting a McCourt Scholarship is roughly 50%.

b. Appeal to the sentiments of the interviewer and build a connection. If you look at the background of those interviewing you, you'll figure out what they generally care about how and how to speak to substance that appeals to them. Everyone I know that got an interview that didn't get a McCourt Scholarship generally had more obscure policy interests/background that simply didn't appeal to the interviewers as much. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

11 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

So essentially McCourt Scholars is a two stage process (there are some modifications over time, but broadly, this would be how it is done).

Stage 1: You get the call for an interview. This is usually consists of two professors interviewing you who are generally aligned towards your professed policy interest area. This is because they generally want McCourt Scholars that have diversity in policy interest areas (and identity diversity in general). Usually those people who get to this stage impressed upon their interviewer with their policy interests/background per the application packet.

Stage 2: Based upon the interviews, there is generally a scholarship board that discusses who are the 5 or so people that get the scholarship. 

From the rumor mill. There have been lots of complaints in recent years that a shockingly high number (pushing even to vast majority in some years) of McCourt Scholars are not involved with the student community, and so more questions and more consideration for potential community involvement have been structured.

Winning the Game:

There are essentially 2 things that give you a leg up on getting a McCourt Scholarship

a. Coming from a top brand undergraduate and/or master's institution. If you went to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Oxford/Cambridge your chances of getting a McCourt Scholarship is roughly 50%.

b. Appeal to the sentiments of the interviewer and build a connection. If you look at the background of those interviewing you, you'll figure out what they generally care about how and how to speak to substance that appeals to them. Everyone I know that got an interview that didn't get a McCourt Scholarship generally had more obscure policy interests/background that simply didn't appeal to the interviewers as much. 

Thank you so much for this. Just read it in time for my interview in a few hours. Crossing fingers it goes well! Once the interview is done, when should we expect to hear about the outcome?

8 minutes ago, OdileM said:

Thank you so much for this. Just read it in time for my interview in a few hours. Crossing fingers it goes well! Once the interview is done, when should we expect to hear about the outcome?

That can vary greatly. McCourt is not a well oiled machine. Schedules readily shift. 

3 hours ago, ShowBellsandWhistles said:

I applied by the January 15th priority deadline. Should I assume they have already identified any possible scholarship candidates from both the ED and the Priority waves? 

6 hours ago, OdileM said:

You never know because the money has to go somewhere and even with the money people still say no to McCourt. So they redistribute on their timeline not yours.

7 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

You never know because the money has to go somewhere and even with the money people still say no to McCourt. So they redistribute on their timeline 

Edited by OdileM