Fully-Funded Admission Possible without Prestigious Credentials?

drgnlov

Question

I am looking to apply for English PhD programs in the New England area (or around there) which are fully funded with professors studying 19th century British literature and feminist/gender theory. However, I am worried about my chances of getting into a fully funded program because I didn't go to a prestigious undergrad or master's program. Is there any hope for someone with this kind of background?

• University of Arizona BA in Creative Writing & Anthropology (Double Major) - 3.74
  • University of Southern Maine Stonecoast Creative Writing MFA - Pass (out of pass/fail)
  • 4 academic paper presentations at conferences
  • Study abroad for 6 months
  • Work abroad (TEFL) for 6 months
  • Master's academic work focuses on studying fairy tales and modern fantasy literature
  • PhD prospective project to focus on the representation of women in 19th century fantastical literature
    • Writing sample in relation is from a paper presented at the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts and WorldCon Science Fiction Convention

From what I've seen about the job market, you have to attend a prestigious university to have career prospects as a professor. I want to be a tenured professor studying and teaching and writing in this field more than anything in the world. Would just like to know whether that is a longshot. 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet