Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I would like to ask a question regarding obtaining information on alternate lists.

I asked Jermaine Jones about obtaining information on the amount of alternates and I was informed that it was against IIE/Fulbright policy to get information on your placement on the alternate list or to get info on the total number of alternates. How can I get this information? Why is this distributed to some but not others?

Added:

I've seen in previous Fulbright discussions ~1/3 of the alternates get a spot. Is this information still applicable for this year regarding the budget concerns in Washington?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I just e-mailed him today, and this was his response:

"It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but we're hoping that the final notification letters for China will go out by the end of April or the first week of May."

Could you e-mail him again tomorrow or Friday this week? Thanks!

I feel like I have already bothered Jonathan enough, but if anyone else wants to get in touch with him, I think we'd all appreciate it.

I do have a little bit of good news to share that might pertain to some China applicants. I was getting nervous that the CET Harbin track I program (which starts in July) might be cancelled because notifications are taking so long, and it will be even longer still before we know about the CLEA. So yesterday I emailed CET and they got back to me this morning assuring me that the track I program will definitely happen, even though no one who has been accepted to it can definitively give them a yes at this point.

It was cancelled last year, but for different reasons.

Wow... that's... interesting. I'm not a China applicant, but I do know that your school is not notified of your Fulbright acceptance/rejection--only you will know, and it will come from IIE/Fulbright. The acceptance letter generally comes in a large manila envelope and will have all the official letters and the medical clearance form.

This is kooky! It has to be a mistake by your university... My university's FPA told me that the only way she'd find out anything would be through me, because IIE will not contact her directly.

This is kooky! It has to be a mistake by your university... My university's FPA told me that the only way she'd find out anything would be through me, because IIE will not contact her directly.

So still no more word on China, huh guys? Last I heard from Jonathon was "by the end of April"...I guess maybe next Monday or Tuesday would be the latest in that case, but I really wish I didn't have to endure another weekend of uncertainty...

@Shadymilkman--what else did the letter say, exactly? Definitely sounds like some kind of premature congratulations from your university as opposed to an official notice of any kind.

Edited by some guy

I feel like I have already bothered Jonathan enough, but if anyone else wants to get in touch with him, I think we'd all appreciate it.

I do have a little bit of good news to share that might pertain to some China applicants. I was getting nervous that the CET Harbin track I program (which starts in July) might be cancelled because notifications are taking so long, and it will be even longer still before we know about the CLEA. So yesterday I emailed CET and they got back to me this morning assuring me that the track I program will definitely happen, even though no one who has been accepted to it can definitively give them a yes at this point.

It was cancelled last year, but for different reasons.

I'll email him tonight! I haven't contacted him yet so it's my turn :)

Does anyone know how the process works for ETAs regarding their living conditions? In other words, can you choose homestay or to live alone, etc? I have looked everywhere for information about this, but I haven't been able to find much.

Edited by MoltBé

Does anyone know how the process works for ETAs regarding their living conditions? In other words, can you choose homestay or to live alone, etc? I have looked everywhere for information about this, but I haven't been able to find much.

Well, MoltBe, it depends on where you shall be undertaking your ETA. Most places will have you find your own location, but some countries may set that up for you.

I just e-mailed him today, and this was his response:

"It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but we're hoping that the final notification letters for China will go out by the end of April or the first week of May."

Could you e-mail him again tomorrow or Friday this week? Thanks!

Uuuughh. And here I thought for sure letters would be out by this Friday at the absolute latest. I wonder what's taking so long for China in particular? It's not like Fulbright-Hays where they're not even sure how much funding they are getting this year, right?

Uuuughh. And here I thought for sure letters would be out by this Friday at the absolute latest. I wonder what's taking so long for China in particular? It's not like Fulbright-Hays where they're not even sure how much funding they are getting this year, right?

From conversations on this board a few days ago, it would seem that funding has not been compromised.

I applied for an ETA to Poland. On Tuesday, I got an email from the American Program Officer and Executive Director of the Polish-US Fulbright Commission that congratulated me on getting a Fulbright and informed me of my placement. However, I still haven't received a big manila envelope, or any envelope. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm in southern California; how long did it take other west coasters to get their notifications? I'm nervous and don't think I'll feel better until I have the paper in hand!

Hi I am a Turkey Fulbright Finalist too. I haven't heard word yet (April 28th). This is driving me crazy because it is effecting my school funding because I do not know. Has anyone heard from Turkey? When should we hear? Last year they heard the middle of April. Do you hear if you are on the wait list around the same time line?

Thanks- Alix

Hey, I'm a Turkey finalist too. I don't think they heard until mid-May last year. I know it's really frustrating, but only a couple more weeks!

Hi I am a Turkey Fulbright Finalist too. I haven't heard word yet (April 28th). This is driving me crazy because it is effecting my school funding because I do not know. Has anyone heard from Turkey? When should we hear? Last year they heard the middle of April. Do you hear if you are on the wait list around the same time line?

Thanks- Alix

I also am a Turkey finalist and according to the forum last year, like bermet said, they didn´t find out until mid-May so just hold on a bit longer!

Hey, I'm a Turkey finalist too. I don't think they heard until mid-May last year. I know it's really frustrating, but only a couple more weeks!