4/29/2011

Manilla

PostGrad@large

Sculpture

TsinghuaU/ShanghaiU/ CLEA@CETbeijing

Emerging studio glass movement in China

Rather than listing it in the forum, send your info to:

fulbright2011.2012@gmail.com

Judging by the sparse China entries, providing your info in the forum doesn't make it appear on the spreadsheet.

Good luck to everyone, with either your grant awards or trying/applying again next year.

the email does work and listing it in the forum works too! I'm adding the influx of China applicants right now! It's actually funny how five or so say 2012 ... when I'm pretty sure it's 2011!

I haven't been roaming around the forum b/c of finals week and just being uber busy. Thanks to jg33, though. I think he's been checking the email! Your guys' information SHOULD be up soon! Let us know if it isn't! Thanks!

China

Y@alma mater with Campus Fulbright Committee

Accepted

Current/Muncie, Indiana

5/3/2011

4/29/2011

Manilla

PostGrad@large

Sculpture

TsinghuaU/ShanghaiU/ CLEA@CETbeijing

Emerging studio glass movement in China

Rather than listing it in the forum, send your info to:

fulbright2011.2012@gmail.com

Judging by the sparse China entries, providing your info in the forum doesn't make it appear on the spreadsheet.

Good luck to everyone, with either your grant awards or trying/applying again next year.

So they told you that you received the CLEA? I thought the final decisions haven't been sent out yet?

name: cheeseshower

region: East Asia & Pacific

grant: Full

interview: N

address: Current (Chicago)

notification: 5/3/2012

postmark: 4/29/2012

method: Large manila envelope

academic status: Recent Grad

research area: Education

area: Yunnan

See you all in DC!! So excited!!

So they told you that you received the CLEA? I thought the final decisions haven't been sent out yet?

No, judging from past posts - the official notification happens later.

My proposal depends on a CLEA though, so if they didn't take that into consideration

It will come as a big surprise.

For those interested in Norway Fulbright, it looks like for next year they are offering 15 full grants, rather than the 10 they offered this year.....

http://us.fulbrighto...ntry.html?id=81

WELL that is just great.. UGH.. what is up with this year, why so many alternates and so few grants? Makes me very upset :( but oh well, good for those ppl applying next year I guess.

Just got the letter today. I'm headed to Turkey. I can't believe I've waited this long and now I have such a short time to get so much medical examines done. I cant get an appointment for at least two weeks and on top of that I am headed home for summer break and my health insurance is school insurance. Uggg. I wish we would have heard about this in February.

Just got the letter today. I'm headed to Turkey. I can't believe I've waited this long and now I have such a short time to get so much medical examines done. I cant get an appointment for at least two weeks and on top of that I am headed home for summer break and my health insurance is school insurance. Uggg. I wish we would have heard about this in February.

Congratulations on your grant to Turkey... I'd love to learn Turkish & visit!

We're still waiting for info about many Middle East/North Africa region nations. I'm glad you brought up the medical exam... I should make my appointment just in case.

Have fun & I'm sure you'll get it done.

Congrats! Are you Full or ETA? I guess that means the rest of us should be hearing soon as well :)

No, judging from past posts - the official notification happens later.

My proposal depends on a CLEA though, so if they didn't take that into consideration

It will come as a big surprise.

Anyone know when approximately we will know about CLEA?

This is incredible news for you and the rest of us waiting for Turkey decisions! Are you full or ETA, and where was your letter delivered?

Has anyone on here recently been moved from alternate to candidate status? Just wondering, as I am still waiting. Do you all think they find out about more funding towards the end of May? Middle of the month?

It seemed like that. This is what he said: My understanding is that the decision-making for Egypt has gotten bogged down with the Egyptian government clearance process-- which is generally slow even in the best of times. I know that the Egyptian Fulbright Commission has tried nudging their government contacts to move ahead with the clearance review, but don't think they've made any inroads yet. And please know that all recommended student candidates are notified via hard copy letter about the final decision reached on their applications. At this stage, I really have no idea when the abovementioned clearances will come through, so that I can issue these letters.

Thanks for the update. At least it's heartening (and a bit nerve-wracking) to know that they've made their decisions... It's killing me that practically the whole rest of the region is starting to find out! Sigh. I hope we find out before June...

WELL that is just great.. UGH.. what is up with this year, why so many alternates and so few grants? Makes me very upset :( but oh well, good for those ppl applying next year I guess.

Are you still waiting? I don't understand how they could even predict that they will have more money if the budget is going to be cut. Maybe I am confused about how this works though.

Mexico Fulbrighters: Has anyone managed to get in touch with the Mexican consulate to see if they require additional medical tests that might be labeled as "optional" on the medical exam form? I have been unsuccessful thus far. Thanks!

SOOOOOOOO I'm an alternate and cara doble called my house, but I'm at school. I called back, but no answer and I left a message.

WHY WOULD SHE BE CALLING ME? would she call if it wasn't good news??? dying.

You probably got it!! They usually contact you by email/phone if you get it!! Fingers crossed for you :) I am waiting for that phone call/email as well..

Are you still waiting? I don't understand how they could even predict that they will have more money if the budget is going to be cut. Maybe I am confused about how this works though.

Yes, I am :( I don't even pretend to try to understand the process anymore.. I am just making plans and moving forward and hoping it will still come through :) but certainly not expecting or trying to predict it! I realized I could easily drive myself nuts that way! :)

For everyone who received a grant/eta, what do you plan on packing to take with you? Especially for those going to Asian countries where they might not have the same things that we can buy here. Also for ETA's when we go out to teach, can we wear casual clothing or more on the professional side? I dont know if any of you would know the answers to any of these questions.

P.S. I haven't been keeping up with the message board, are there any other Vietnam ETAs out there? If so send me a message

For everyone who received a grant/eta, what do you plan on packing to take with you? Especially for those going to Asian countries where they might not have the same things that we can buy here. Also for ETA's when we go out to teach, can we wear casual clothing or more on the professional side? I dont know if any of you would know the answers to any of these questions.

P.S. I haven't been keeping up with the message board, are there any other Vietnam ETAs out there? If so send me a message

I'm going to try to take as little as possible. Basic toiletries, a couple pairs of clothes, a good supply of my usual vitamins/supplements, a few books, and my laptop (probably). There's no reason to bring too many things. As far as formality goes, it depends on the country, but keep in mind that most countries require more formal dress in educational settings than you might be used to. I know this is true in much of SE Asia where students often wear uniforms. I expect to be wearing a nice shirt, slacks, and a tie every day as an ETA in Thailand. However, if you don't have all the formal clothes yet, I would NOT recommend running out and buying them before you leave--you should be able to get very nice clothes in your host country for a fraction of the price you'd pay in the States (for instance, I've been offered tailored suits in Bangkok for 60-80US$, with a few extra shirts thrown in). For women in particular, this will also ensure that dress clothes fit with local norms as clothes showing shoulders, chest, legs, etc. may or may not be acceptable, depending on the culture.

I'm going to try to take as little as possible. Basic toiletries, a couple pairs of clothes, a good supply of my usual vitamins/supplements, a few books, and my laptop (probably). There's no reason to bring too many things. As far as formality goes, it depends on the country, but keep in mind that most countries require more formal dress in educational settings than you might be used to. I know this is true in much of SE Asia where students often wear uniforms. I expect to be wearing a nice shirt, slacks, and a tie every day as an ETA in Thailand. However, if you don't have all the formal clothes yet, I would NOT recommend running out and buying them before you leave--you should be able to get very nice clothes in your host country for a fraction of the price you'd pay in the States (for instance, I've been offered tailored suits in Bangkok for 60-80US$, with a few extra shirts thrown in). For women in particular, this will also ensure that dress clothes fit with local norms as clothes showing shoulders, chest, legs, etc. may or may not be acceptable, depending on the culture.

Can't tell you how jealous I am of you getting tailored suits in Thailand...buds of mine went there for vacation a couple of years ago and they got the same deal. Aaaaargh.