Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I'm on couchsurfing - http://www.couchsurf.../people/toasty/ - add me!

Also, it looks like there already is a fulbright group: http://www.couchsurf....html?gid=20823

so, i creeped on your CS profile - you're vegan too! i wasn't super nervous about being vegan in spain, but i got placed in the north, which is a little more... rural?

meh. point of this post: n/a.

Anyone heard a reply for the Fulbright Mongolia ETA? Through the forms, I have noticed that some research awards have been announced. I am currently handling things remotely from India and the way is nerve wracking! Also, do they also send an e-mail once the award has been granted? Finally, does anyone know whom to contact if awards have been made? I keep having an itching fear that my information might have gotten lost in the mail or tossed away by an old roommate (hopefully not!) I keep googling Mongolia ETA but am basically just led to this forum.

Thanks for any advice!

Well, finally received the news of rejection for ETA to Italy. If anyone wants to update the spreadsheet, I'm listed under "SAO." Received it 5/9/2011 in small white envelope. Congrats to those who are headed abroad with Fulbright, and congrats to everyone in general for making it to finalist status!!

Hi there fellow Mongolia appplicant :-) I can't give you exactly the info you're asking for because I applied for a research grant, but I'll try to help you out with what I can.

According to the forum, at least 1 ETA who applied to Mongolia was already notified.

I didn't receive an email when I found out about my Fulbright.

I would call Jonathan Akeley if you think your letter has gotten lost. His number is 1-212-984-5487.

Best of luck!

Anyone heard a reply for the Fulbright Mongolia ETA? Through the forms, I have noticed that some research awards have been announced. I am currently handling things remotely from India and the way is nerve wracking! Also, do they also send an e-mail once the award has been granted? Finally, does anyone know whom to contact if awards have been made? I keep having an itching fear that my information might have gotten lost in the mail or tossed away by an old roommate (hopefully not!) I keep googling Mongolia ETA but am basically just led to this forum.

Thanks for any advice!

G6DP Rant:

Okay so can anyone tell me why this test in significant? It is a chromosomal test that checks to see if you have a deficiency and if you have this deficiency than you are better protected against malaria.If you do not have this deficiency you are more prone to getting malaria. Most people do not have this deficiency so why does it matter if this test is done or not?! Anyways, anyone is South East Asia getting this test done? I was away when I received the Fulbright and had my examination done then as well, only thing that is blank is the G6PD which takes 3 to 5 days at a lab. Debating on leaving it blank since it does not seem significant at all. What does everyone else think?

China Fulbrighters,

Anyone heard back from the Critical Language Enhancement Award yet?

I got an email from IIE Beijing late last night asking me to confirm my interest in the award. Jonathan Akeley told me last week that we won't know anything for a couple of weeks, so there's still some waiting left.

G6DP Rant:

Okay so can anyone tell me why this test in significant? It is a chromosomal test that checks to see if you have a deficiency and if you have this deficiency than you are better protected against malaria.If you do not have this deficiency you are more prone to getting malaria. Most people do not have this deficiency so why does it matter if this test is done or not?! Anyways, anyone is South East Asia getting this test done? I was away when I received the Fulbright and had my examination done then as well, only thing that is blank is the G6PD which takes 3 to 5 days at a lab. Debating on leaving it blank since it does not seem significant at all. What does everyone else think?

So I left the cholesterol level blank, which I would think is a bigger deal. I didn't understand why it was blank since I gave my form to the phlebotomist (sp?). But I mean I'm as healthy as someone can be (running 30+ miles a week!). I emailed Cara Doble to make sure I was cleared for medical and she said yeah. I've received more docs and I've just sent this form with my signature confirming I WILL take the grant (two forms to IIE and one to the Fulbright German Commission). So I think it might be okay. However, if it takes 3 to 4 days, do you still have enough time to get it to IIE? What's the timeline like on that? Remember, if IIE doesn't get it by Thursday, they will wait until the following Thursday to send it to the State Dept for "checking" our medical clearance forms.

So I left the cholesterol level blank, which I would think is a bigger deal. I didn't understand why it was blank since I gave my form to the phlebotomist (sp?). But I mean I'm as healthy as someone can be (running 30+ miles a week!). I emailed Cara Doble to make sure I was cleared for medical and she said yeah. I've received more docs and I've just sent this form with my signature confirming I WILL take the grant (two forms to IIE and one to the Fulbright German Commission). So I think it might be okay. However, if it takes 3 to 4 days, do you still have enough time to get it to IIE? What's the timeline like on that? Remember, if IIE doesn't get it by Thursday, they will wait until the following Thursday to send it to the State Dept for "checking" our medical clearance forms.

Well that gives me peace. I have a week left to hand it in, if I send it out tomorrow it will reach nyc by monday. I mean really the test just tells you whether you need to take malaria pills or not, which most do anyways.

China Fulbrighters,

Anyone heard back from the Critical Language Enhancement Award yet?

I'm not sure about China but the Taiwan Fulbright office sent out an email last night to let the applicants know that, due to "significant budget cuts for this fiscal year, the Fulbright Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) will no longer be offered in Taiwan."

I'm not sure if they're having similar situations in other countries but I would assume that budget cuts will have some effect everywhere.

To everyone on the east coast: does it really take 4 days for the large envelope to arrive? It seems like an envelope shipped from DC to anywhere else on the east coast should only take around 2 days, but most people on the Google Doc are saying that the postmark was four days prior to when they received it.

Thanks!

To everyone on the east coast: does it really take 4 days for the large envelope to arrive? It seems like an envelope shipped from DC to anywhere else on the east coast should only take around 2 days, but most people on the Google Doc are saying that the postmark was four days prior to when they received it.

Thanks!

Some of the postmark dates were before a weekend, though, so that probably messed up the timing between the postmark date and the receiving date.

On a similar note, I hope that my Malaysia notification arrives today, because my temporary address expires this weekend. And then I'll have to wait even longer for my university to redirect the mail home or (more likely) request another letter to be sent to my permanent address. Alas.

Just found a manilla envelope in my mailbox mailed from NY...but it wasn't from Fulbright :( The cruelty!

It only took 2 days for this package to arrive. Here's hoping there's something in the mail tomorrow...