Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Yay, Jermaine Jones contacted me this morning and there is more UAE funding available & I've gone from alternate to accepted!

I'm so excited! I'm going to United Arab Emirates, studying in Al-Ain (of the Emirate Abu Dhabi)

It certainly hasn't sunk in yet for me- but I found out this morning. I have graduation in a few weeks, and there's tons of work to do.

My employer is put out over the leave in June (because I said a week ago I should be available due to alternate status) yet, they knew I wasn't going to stay in my job forever and they have been really supportive.

I think I may bet a new congratulations in graduation and a write up in the school paper- who knows other than that?

See you all in DC!

To fellow Fulbrighters:

What reaction are you receiving since the announcement of your Fulbright award from your institutions, communities, family, friends etc... any special recognition, fanfare, events, news articles? How are you handling the "change in status" as you prepare for the Fulbright experience abroad? Please share...

Congratulations! :D

Muscndanz- are you the Fulbright PhD candidate who will be teaching in UAE?

I just found out today about my status from alternate to grantee

I believe there are a few PSU congratulatory awards in graduation and the paper I'll expect to have an article or something...

My dad is happy for me but concerned (he would be if I were going to Europe or Asia too). Mom feels the same, but won't say so for fear of hurting my feelings.

My husband is hoping for gift certificates to "Muchas Gracias" the Mexican restaurant for HIS graduation because he can't cook.

Friends & family are just finding out. I'm excited because the doctors at the ER I work in had just started warming up to me when they found out I was recommended. LOL... doctors are busy people though, particularly those working in the ER.

Has anyone bought their plane tickets yet? I'm waiting on my official grant documents to show up, as I watch the airline prices go up and up...

You might want to go ahead and move on the ticket. Fulbright, at least for Germany, only covers the first $1300. I lucked out in that I only had to pay $34 over, but there are horror stories. Some people are having to pay from $400-$600 over.

You might want to go ahead and move on the ticket. Fulbright, at least for Germany, only covers the first $1300. I lucked out in that I only had to pay $34 over, but there are horror stories. Some people are having to pay from $400-$600 over.

yeah, that's what i'm thinking. Italy gets 500eur now, then 500eur our last month there and I'm not trying to pay extra!

Wow, good to know. Thanks for sharing that information. And the wait goes on...

I emailed her to check in, and received an out-of-office reply saying she's gone May 9th through 31st. I emailed the person she listed to contact regarding notification letters while she's away, and the reply was something along the lines of "I haven't received any information on the status of Turkey ETA grants. Rest assured, we'll mail notification letters as soon as possible." The wait continues. I'm putting my money on June.

Has anyone bought their plane tickets yet? I'm waiting on my official grant documents to show up, as I watch the airline prices go up and up...

I am waiting for my grant docs to show up to, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and buy the plane tickets and use the money to reimburse myself once I get it. The prices are really good right now but over the past two days, they've jumped up by $100 and I know they're only going to get higher. Only problem is, the airline carrier has to be American (in accordance with the Fly America act) and most of the tickets I've found seem to have a non-American carrier as part of the flight. Even the more expensive ones.

you only have to buy the tix from an american carrier. code shares are fine, as long as the charges come from an american based airline. and yeah, the idea is that you buy the tickets then get reimbursed. my real dilemma comes from the arrival dates. I want to arrive 5 days before my grant begins, but am not sure ill have the visa lined up for it

Edited by westcoasttoast

Thanks, that was VERY helpful! I'm thinking the break down will be similar. I'm wondering what part of the grant will be used for research; the stipend maybe? Anyway, I have an ETA grant to Morocco. Maybe Facebook group should be created for North Africa/Middle East. Thoughts?

I have a full grant to Egypt, and will be staying in Cairo. How it breaks down is: There is a chunk of money for airfare + relocation to egypt; a monthly stipend; a lump sum for studying Arabic; and a small sum for "professional development" (which is buying books and the like), plus insurance.

I have lived in Egypt before and the monthly stipend is MUCH more than I lived on previously, so I would say yes, there is most definitely enough to live on comfortably and do a bit of travelling! However, I'm also used to living on an extremely tight budget and working 3-4 jobs at any given time, so this whole thing feels very Cindarella-esque to me. Someone with a different lifestyle might think differently about it.

Where are you off to, IVA?

I got a rejection letter for an Indonesia ETA back in early April. Last night I got an email from Jonathan Akeley telling me to call him as soon as I can...anybody else get this email or know what it could mean? Maybe there are more funds for Indonesia, or another country that didn't receive enough applicants? I have no idea.

Edited by roland4102

Hey all, one of the reasons why there aren't alternates being bumped up to primary status is because the Fulbright Hays was cancelled and those Phds who also won IIE Fulbrights are now hanging on to them. This directly affects Fulbrighters in this competition, so please join us in signing the petition to save Fulbright Hays. We need more research money out there not less! Thanks!!!!

you only have to buy the tix from an american carrier. code shares are fine, as long as the charges come from an american based airline. and yeah, the idea is that you buy the tickets then get reimbursed. my real dilemma comes from the arrival dates. I want to arrive 5 days before my grant begins, but am not sure ill have the visa lined up for it

Wait, I don't understand how tickets work. So if I buy it from Orbitz.com or Airfare.com, does it not matter the carrier since those are American website vendors?

I got a rejection letter for an Indonesia ETA back in early April. Last night I got an email from Jonathan Akeley telling me to call him as soon as I can...anybody else get this email or know what it could mean? Maybe there are more funds for Indonesia, or another country that didn't receive enough applicants? I have no idea.

I am an alternate for Indonesia and I am still waiting, so I don't understand how they could offer someone who was rejected a space. Indonesia even mailed me a form that I signed and sent back to their director asking to remain on the waitlist as an alternate. That was in the middle of April and I have not heard anything from Jonathan Akeley or anyone in Indonesia since then.

Could someone please explain if this would even be possible? Is it possible for Fulbright to give someone who was rejected a space? And if so, why would they do that instead of giving an alternate a space?

Edited by readtowin

Hey all, one of the reasons why there aren't alternates being bumped up to primary status is because the Fulbright Hays was cancelled and those Phds who also won IIE Fulbrights are now hanging on to them. This directly affects Fulbrighters in this competition, so please join us in signing the petition to save Fulbright Hays. We need more research money out there not less! Thanks!!!!

Yes, but isn't Fulbright-Hays separate from Fulbright ETA's and Fulbright Full grants for students?

I am an alternate for Indonesia and I am still waiting, so I don't understand how they could offer someone who was rejected a space. Indonesia even mailed me a form that I signed and sent back to their director asking to remain on the waitlist as an alternate.

I really don't know...maybe it's for another country then. I've been trying to call Jonathan Akeley all morning and now apparently he won't be in until this afternoon.

Wait, I don't understand how tickets work. So if I buy it from Orbitz.com or Airfare.com, does it not matter the carrier since those are American website vendors?

No, you can't just buy the tickets from orbitz or airfare.com, because those are more like travel agencies. Your ticket needs to be bought from an american airline. You could buy your ticket on orbitz, say, for an American Airlines flight, but not for an Air France flight. However, if you buy your ticket from American Airlines, and that flight is a codeshare with Airfrance, that's ok. What really counts is who issued the ticket: an american based airline, or a foreign one. Here is a list of US Flag Carrier Airlines: http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/COTravel/FlagAirCarriersUS.aspx

Yes! Please start a Facebook group! (I'm at work and can't do it right now :) ) Also, does anybody know when we find out where we are going to be placed? (for ETAs)

Thanks, that was VERY helpful! I'm thinking the break down will be similar. I'm wondering what part of the grant will be used for research; the stipend maybe? Anyway, I have an ETA grant to Morocco. Maybe Facebook group should be created for North Africa/Middle East. Thoughts?

No, you can't just buy the tickets from orbitz or airfare.com, because those are more like travel agencies. Your ticket needs to be bought from an american airline. You could buy your ticket on orbitz, say, for an American Airlines flight, but not for an Air France flight. However, if you buy your ticket from American Airlines, and that flight is a codeshare with Airfrance, that's ok. What really counts is who issued the ticket: an american based airline, or a foreign one. Here is a list of US Flag Carrier Airlines: http://www.ctlr.msu....CarriersUS.aspx

Do you know how to tell who's issuing the ticket when you buy it through Orbitz.com? Is it just the first plane you get on? I am looking at a flight to Russia that begins with Continental Airlines with a buncha layovers in the US and switch to Singpore Airlines to fly to Russia. But I don't see anything on the site about who is actually issuing the ticket.

Hey, can someone really quick give me the address I'm supposed to send my medical forms to? I can't find that letter for my life... :(

Thanks in advance!

Do you know how to tell who's issuing the ticket when you buy it through Orbitz.com? Is it just the first plane you get on? I am looking at a flight to Russia that begins with Continental Airlines with a buncha layovers in the US and switch to Singpore Airlines to fly to Russia. But I don't see anything on the site about who is actually issuing the ticket.

That would be something you'd want to call either orbitz or the airline about. I know that also when an american carrier doesn't fly to the place you need to go, you have to take an american carrier as close as possible, then you can take a foreign carrier. On orbitz it can be hard to tell what's what, but when you look at the summary, does it say "multiple airlines"? or does it say the airline in Continental, with a little footnote about the flight being a codeshare?

The fulbright website is a pretty good place to start to understand how this all works, there's a pdf about it here: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/resources_current.html

That would be something you'd want to call either orbitz or the airline about. I know that also when an american carrier doesn't fly to the place you need to go, you have to take an american carrier as close as possible, then you can take a foreign carrier. On orbitz it can be hard to tell what's what, but when you look at the summary, does it say "multiple airlines"? or does it say the airline in Continental, with a little footnote about the flight being a codeshare?

The fulbright website is a pretty good place to start to understand how this all works, there's a pdf about it here: http://us.fulbrighto...es_current.html

Scratch what I said...just found out United Airlines will take me to Russia for a reasonable price so I won't have to worry about it. So if we get a cheap ticket, that means we have extra stipend spending money right? I mean, Fulbright won't say "Oh you're ticket was only $400, give us the rest of the base amount back" or they won't just reimburse only for ticket we bought right? I'm wondering because if that's the case, I'm gonna look at first class flights!

I'm also deciding if I want to spend $60 extra for the travel insurance.

Scratch what I said...just found out United Airlines will take me to Russia for a reasonable price so I won't have to worry about it. So if we get a cheap ticket, that means we have extra stipend spending money right? I mean, Fulbright won't say "Oh you're ticket was only $400, give us the rest of the base amount back" or they won't just reimburse only for ticket we bought right? I'm wondering because if that's the case, I'm gonna look at first class flights!

I'm also deciding if I want to spend $60 extra for the travel insurance.

I'm surprised Fulbright isn't asking you all to go through their STA folks. I guess that comes down to whatever the different countries stipulate. Germans are too dadgum good at austerity! Anyway, you have to be sure that they deliniate between stipend and reimbursement. Reimbursement would, of course, mean they're only going to pay for your ticket. With that, there are likely parameters you'd have to meet, such as not exceeding certain costs or not getting first class. On the other hand, if it's seriously a stipend (I'm jealous) then you're free to do whatever you want.

I remember something like this happened to me, and I foolishly thought it was a stipend. The government hurt my feelings when I had to cough up the extra cash. Ha.

Got the whole grant package with the break down of $$$, etc. all I can say is... SWEET DEAL!!! I'm really excited :)

Has anyone else from any other region received their grant package yet? I am eagerly awaiting mine, in part because I need to figure out if it will be sufficient or if I'll be living in poverty for the next year. Did it come in the mail or via email?

Any way to find this out other than receiving the whole package?

Yes, but isn't Fulbright-Hays separate from Fulbright ETA's and Fulbright Full grants for students?

Yes, they are separate (Fulbright-Hays is Dept of Ed; IIE Fulbright is Dept of State). Social science and humanities doctoral students tend to apply for both awards whenver possible because, in most cases, the monthly stipend from Fulbright-Hays is higher than that of Fulbright. Consequently, doctoral students doing research tend to decline the IIE Fulbright full grant and accept the Fulbright-Hays if they are awarded both (you cannot accept both). With Fulbright-Hays being canceled this year, many of my friends will not be declining ther IIE Fulbright full grant.

Any way to find this out other than receiving the whole package?

This was allegedly in my grant package as well. I never found it, though.

I went through STA to book my flight, however, and the lady I talked to confirmed it.