Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Malaysia folk:

Heard two things from another applicant today. First, the people at the Fulbright office are aware some letters didn't reach their addressees. Second, and probably much more interesting, Malaysia has decided to expand the program this year, and some of those designated as alternates are already being contacted and offered spots. On the order of 50 ETAs will be teaching in three provinces (Terengganu, and I believe Johor and Pahang).

Any Malaysia folks have any updates? I still haven't heard. Since I left my temporary address, they're now re-mailing one to my home address in California so it should take even longer...

Also, what details are in the acceptance package? Assigned location?

Turkey ETAs: Rachel sent out that e-mail saying we should "hopefully" have an answer by the end of May. Has anyone been in touch with her since? Do we know if that "hopefully" has become a "certainly"? I've become so used to the wait that I don't really notice it any more, but...

I am waiting too...haven't heard anything.

Turkey ETAs: Rachel sent out that e-mail saying we should "hopefully" have an answer by the end of May. Has anyone been in touch with her since? Do we know if that "hopefully" has become a "certainly"? I've become so used to the wait that I don't really notice it any more, but...

Darn, alternate for CLEA. It would've been amazing to get to study some more Chinese before my research but I can't really complain because I feel so lucky to have that opportunity already. I do have another question though. Does anyone know who I might call about changing my start date? I originally proposed to start February 2012 because I wanted to do a Fall program for the CLEA but now I would rather start in September or late August. Who should I contact?

Darn, alternate for CLEA. It would've been amazing to get to study some more Chinese before my research but I can't really complain because I feel so lucky to have that opportunity already. I do have another question though. Does anyone know who I might call about changing my start date? I originally proposed to start February 2012 because I wanted to do a Fall program for the CLEA but now I would rather start in September or late August. Who should I contact?

Janet Upton and Ji Yingnan (IIE Beijing) said they would be in contact with alternates to let them know how alternate status affects affiliation dates, so I would follow up with them if you don't hear from them soon.

Not sure if anyone cares, but brief update on my professor.

I just found out from a few students in the department that he has been telling people "Oh, I wish that you could apply for the Fulbright, but Jonathan kind of ruined that for us." Fantastic.

I just found out from a few students in the department that he has been telling people "Oh, I wish that you could apply for the Fulbright, but Jonathan kind of ruined that for us." Fantastic.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at this prof. What a baby! If the relationship with the Fulbright program hinged entirely on you accepting the grant, I'm afraid it's no failure but his own.

Wow.. That's so ridiculous. it is true that schools that land a bunch of Fulbrights gain a sort of institutional "momentum," but it doesn't work in the other direction. (e.g. declining an award has NO negative impact on your school). And besides, it is YOUR life and decision, right?

Ignore professors that act like this--- even on their good days they are weak allies to have. I'd run as far from this guy as possible.

Wow.. That's so ridiculous. it is true that schools that land a bunch of Fulbrights gain a sort of institutional "momentum," but it doesn't work in the other direction. (e.g. declining an award has NO negative impact on your school). And besides, it is YOUR life and decision, right?

Ignore professors that act like this--- even on their good days they are weak allies to have. I'd run as far from this guy as possible.

You know, folks in academia always talk about how not to burn bridges b/c you never know when you'll see someone again - another student, professor, scientist, etc. This guy seems to like burning bridges with his student and doesn't even realize that one day the student that declined a Fulbright might well be taking some grant money away from him! I wouldn't burn your side of the bridge with him. I don't know if you've talked to him about why you declined it. If you want to try and repair it, that's a good step. But just let it be. If he comes across again in the future, just remember that HE burned his side of the bridge and you can be sure to remind him of that with your reasoning and successful career without Fulbright.

Any Norway alternates have any news?? :(

Beside Rachel saying she didn't think that they would be getting additional funding for Norway....nope... :(

It doesn't seem like anyone has declined the award either....

I know alternates from Iceland, Finland and Sweden have been moved up, but none so far for Norway it seems.

Beside Rachel saying she didn't think that they would be getting additional funding for Norway....nope... :(

It doesn't seem like anyone has declined the award either....

I know alternates from Iceland, Finland and Sweden have been moved up, but none so far for Norway it seems.

Yea, I know..happy for all of them, but I have pretty much given up hope :( sigh

I emailed her to check in, and received an out-of-office reply saying she's gone May 9th through 31st. I emailed the person she listed to contact regarding notification letters while she's away, and the reply was something along the lines of "I haven't received any information on the status of Turkey ETA grants. Rest assured, we'll mail notification letters as soon as possible." The wait continues. I'm putting my money on June.

Supposedly Rachel is out of office because she is in Turkey - whether she is there for business or pleasure, I don't know.

Anyhow, If you can make a dr's appointment for next month and cancel it in the event you don't need it, might be a good idea...the medical clearance forms take a while to fill out.

Got the whole grant package with the break down of $$$, etc. all I can say is... SWEET DEAL!!! I'm really excited :)

Awesome! And where will you be staying? Also, just a general question, do you have a full or ETA grant? How does the break down look? Is there enough allowance for all necessities?? I'm still waiting on mine..

Awesome! And where will you be staying? Also, just a general question, do you have a full or ETA grant? How does the break down look? Is there enough allowance for all necessities?? I'm still waiting on mine..

I have a full grant to Egypt, and will be staying in Cairo. How it breaks down is: There is a chunk of money for airfare + relocation to egypt; a monthly stipend; a lump sum for studying Arabic; and a small sum for "professional development" (which is buying books and the like), plus insurance.

I have lived in Egypt before and the monthly stipend is MUCH more than I lived on previously, so I would say yes, there is most definitely enough to live on comfortably and do a bit of travelling! However, I'm also used to living on an extremely tight budget and working 3-4 jobs at any given time, so this whole thing feels very Cindarella-esque to me. Someone with a different lifestyle might think differently about it.

Where are you off to, IVA?

To fellow Fulbrighters:

What reaction are you receiving since the announcement of your Fulbright award from your institutions, communities, family, friends etc... any special recognition, fanfare, events, news articles? How are you handling the "change in status" as you prepare for the Fulbright experience abroad? Please share...

Congratulations! :D

Edited by muscndanz

Ranita, I also have a full grant to Egypt, but I have never lived in or even visited Egypt before so it seems looking for housing will be quite an adventure. I am curious, which part of Cairo did you live in before? How did you find a place to live? Are you going to be affiliated with AUC?

I have a full grant to Egypt, and will be staying in Cairo. How it breaks down is: There is a chunk of money for airfare + relocation to egypt; a monthly stipend; a lump sum for studying Arabic; and a small sum for "professional development" (which is buying books and the like), plus insurance.

I have lived in Egypt before and the monthly stipend is MUCH more than I lived on previously, so I would say yes, there is most definitely enough to live on comfortably and do a bit of travelling! However, I'm also used to living on an extremely tight budget and working 3-4 jobs at any given time, so this whole thing feels very Cindarella-esque to me. Someone with a different lifestyle might think differently about it.

Where are you off to, IVA?

To fellow Fulbrighters:

What reaction are you receiving since the announcement of your Fulbright award from your institutions, communities, family, friends etc... any special recognition, fanfare, events, news articles? How are you handling the "change in status" as you prepare for the Fulbright experience abroad? Please share...

Congratulations! :D

Most people have reacted extremely positively and are impressed to the point that I get embarrassed. However, my work doesn't know yet, so I've had to keep it a secret from my work friends, which is sooo difficult. I actually ran into someone the other day who mentioned it in front of one of my co-workers. That was really awkward, thank god that co-worker is one of my best work buddies. I think because I can't tell my work yet, it's not fully sunk in.

Has anyone bought their plane tickets yet? I'm waiting on my official grant documents to show up, as I watch the airline prices go up and up...