Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hey all,

I am new to these forums and have a question regarding my Fulbright medical forms. First off thank you to everyone for all the advice and experiences on this board, I have only recently found these forums but they have already been extremely helpful and interesting to read.

I am in the process of having my forms filled out and tests done, and I am concerned about my mental health history. In high school I had some mental health illness, and was in the hospital a few times for 1 week each. I have since been fine, haven't been on any meds or seen a therapist of psychiatrist for two years, and have a letter from my psychiatrist that I am perfectly stable. I have lived and worked in foreign countries and been fine. I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to how this may affect my medical clearance...is this something that they are going to have a problem with, or will a note from my doctor that I have been treated and am fine be ok? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it just hit me that this may cause a problem and I am very stressed out about it. If anyone has any experience with this or knows anything about how they view past mental health problems I would really appreciate any advice or insights. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I was awarded an ETA to Germany, and airfare is proving to be a little bit of a challenge. I have been in contact with STA, and have no desire whatsoever to pay over $400 extra just to book through them when I have found multiple tickets for less than $1300 (which, for Germany ETAs is all that Fulbright covers). Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a ticket through an online agency (Orbitz, Expedia, Kayak, etc.) and then get reimbursed by Fulbright? Or do you really HAVE to book through STA?

Hey all,

I am new to these forums and have a question regarding my Fulbright medical forms. First off thank you to everyone for all the advice and experiences on this board, I have only recently found these forums but they have already been extremely helpful and interesting to read.

I am in the process of having my forms filled out and tests done, and I am concerned about my mental health history. In high school I had some mental health illness, and was in the hospital a few times for 1 week each. I have since been fine, haven't been on any meds or seen a therapist of psychiatrist for two years, and have a letter from my psychiatrist that I am perfectly stable. I have lived and worked in foreign countries and been fine. I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to how this may affect my medical clearance...is this something that they are going to have a problem with, or will a note from my doctor that I have been treated and am fine be ok? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it just hit me that this may cause a problem and I am very stressed out about it. If anyone has any experience with this or knows anything about how they view past mental health problems I would really appreciate any advice or insights. Thanks!

Hi Yosi,

My suggestion: don't tell your current doctor about it and check NO on that part of the form. If it's too late for that, ask your doctor to right a letter saying she/he finds you totally fit to complete the grant. I'm sure it will be fine!

Hey all,

Welcome! As far as I know, the medical clearance is based on your overall "satisfactory health" relative to the resources of the host country. Your doctor's overall assessment at the end of the form should address this or any "red flags" you are concerned about. If your not still having issues you should be fine! Best of luck! :rolleyes:

Welcome! As far as I know, the medical clearance is based on your overall "satisfactory health" relative to the resources of the host country. Your doctor's overall assessment at the end of the form should address this or any "red flags" you are concerned about. If your not still having issues you should be fine! Best of luck! :rolleyes:

Hey,

Sorry if I'm using the quote feature wrong, I meant to respond to both replies. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. At this point I already wrote it all down on the form and gave it to my doctor, so my only option would be to white it out or scribble it out (which may make me look a little crazier than the actual information). I did get a separate letter from my psychiatrist that I am fine and haven't been on any meds for two years and that she supports me going, so hopefully that should be fine. Thanks again!

Wow, so I got a totally unexpected phone call from IIE the other day telling me that due to more funding suddenly being available, I've gone from being an alternate to being awarded an ETA grant to Macedonia! Hooray!

pou einai, any other Macedonia lurkers, and all the Europe/Eurasia people... see you at orientation!

MENA people: what's the procedure to buy our air ticket? I'm sure this is spelled out somewhere but I don't know where...any one know if there is a possibility to receive funds in advance of buying the ticket, instead of being reimbursed? I'm so anxious because my cc is maxed out and I have already been turned down for a bank loan, and I have no savings to speak of... yikes! Anyone else in this position?