Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I am a finalist for an ETA in Italy. Any other finalist on here? I am wondering how much more of an advantage I have since I am a grad student. Also, based on last year's statistics, those applying for Italy received their final approval around May 13. Was it the same for 2001-2010?

I am a finalist for an ETA in Italy. Any other finalist on here? I am wondering how much more of an advantage I have since I am a grad student. Also, based on last year's statistics, those applying for Italy received their final approval around May 13. Was it the same for 2001-2010?

Italia2011: The bad news is that being a grad is actually not an advantage in winning a Fulbright award. In 2009 - 49% of the winners were undergrads, with another 31% being PhD students the balance were MA students. Good luck though!

Anyone have an interview yet? I actually found out I was a finalist BEFORE I got the email from Fulbright. I got this random email saying "congratulations for making it this far in the competition. We would like to schedule an interview with you on the 27th." Did this happen to anyone else? I'm hoping it means they'll be making a decision fairly early!

Well you're not alone in this... I put engaged too, and my wedding is planned for June. I'm tempted to just not change my name until after the fulbright period is over rather then deal with all of that. I'm also worried about it hurting my chances. I've had issues in the past with my family being the reason I didn't get into certain programs or positions. most of them were foreign based though, so I'm hoping that since the Fulbrigth program is US based that those discriminations won't apply. But how can anyone anywhere ever be certain that we're not being discriminated because of that? I mean as long as they are asking the questions about your family/marital status, there's always room for wondering.

Congratulations to you, Skyfire! I'm thinking it doesn't hurt our chances on the US side (since we made it this far), but that it could come up once our applications go abroad. I'm hopeful, though!

Anyone have an interview yet? I actually found out I was a finalist BEFORE I got the email from Fulbright. I got this random email saying "congratulations for making it this far in the competition. We would like to schedule an interview with you on the 27th." Did this happen to anyone else? I'm hoping it means they'll be making a decision fairly early!

Are you applying for the full grant or an ETA? I was told that the interview I did at my university would be the only interview I'd have to do. I applied for an ETA, though.

Are you applying for the full grant or an ETA? I was told that the interview I did at my university would be the only interview I'd have to do. I applied for an ETA, though.

From my understanding each country/region has its own process for additional interviews or other materials, so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't gotten another interview. Maybe your country doesn't require anything else?

I actually applied for an ETA...

Hmmm...I wonder if it varies by country? Or maybe my advisor just didn't know. I applied through my current university because I thought my chances might be better. My previous university has the top number of applicants and the top number of accepted applicants, but I don't think my current one has ever had anyone get a Fulbright, and it has a very small number of applicants. Can I ask which country you applied for?

From my understanding each country/region has its own process for additional interviews or other materials, so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't gotten another interview. Maybe your country doesn't require anything else?

Good to hear that, biograd. Thanks. :)

Hmmm...I wonder if it varies by country? Or maybe my advisor just didn't know. I applied through my current university because I thought my chances might be better. My previous university has the top number of applicants and the top number of accepted applicants, but I don't think my current one has ever had anyone get a Fulbright, and it has a very small number of applicants. Can I ask which country you applied for?

I applied to Norway. I know that depending on the country, finalists are sometimes contacted for an interview. However, I was mainly surprised that I was contacted by them about four days before getting the official email!

Based on last years results, the Italian Fulbrights won't be notified until mid May. I imagine that once you are accepted, you have to get a physical and take care of paperwork at the embassy. I am not concerned at all with the physical but I am concerned with the time it will take to take care of the Visa paperwork. I am planning on leaving the country in May, and assuming things play out as they did last year, how long will I have to stick around after being notified that I have received the grant? It's kind of difficult planning for the summer if things are up in the air.

Also, I looked at the orientation dates for Europe but there was no mention of Western Europe; I only saw Eurasia? Anyone know what the deal is?

Also, I looked at the orientation dates for Europe but there was no mention of Western Europe; I only saw Eurasia? Anyone know what the deal is?

Well I applied to Spain, and I called the person in charge of my area to clarify, and she said that there wasn't an orientation for Spain - maybe there's just not one for European countries?

Well I applied to Spain, and I called the person in charge of my area to clarify, and she said that there wasn't an orientation for Spain - maybe there's just not one for European countries?

I find that hard to believe since the e-mail I received said: - mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) Programs in Washington DC in June and July for grantees to many countries worldwide. Can anyone else concur?

I find that hard to believe since the e-mail I received said: - mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) Programs in Washington DC in June and July for grantees to many countries worldwide. Can anyone else concur?

Yeah, if you click on the PDO information for "Eurasia" it lists Asian countries and mostly Eastern European countries. Doesn't say anything about western Europe .. I'm confused ... but am still keeping that weekend free in case.

Also, I'm assuming we need to pay our way for this 3-5 day orientation?

Yeah, if you click on the PDO information for "Eurasia" it lists Asian countries and mostly Eastern European countries. Doesn't say anything about western Europe .. I'm confused ... but am still keeping that weekend free in case.

The key word here is "many" countries... it doesn't say all. That being said, just because Spain apparently doesn't have an orientation in DC, doesn't mean that there aren't others in Europe that do. I only speculated as such since there doesn't appear to be any info about it in the official PDF. It seems a harmless enough question, so perhaps rather then ghawing your nails to a nub, just call and ask. I did read on last year's forums that while Spain does not have a DC orientation, they do have an orientation in Spain in august/september. so perhaps the other European countries operate similarly.

The key word here is "many" countries... it doesn't say all. That being said, just because Spain apparently doesn't have an orientation in DC, doesn't mean that there aren't others in Europe that do. I only speculated as such since there doesn't appear to be any info about it in the official PDF. It seems a harmless enough question, so perhaps rather then ghawing your nails to a nub, just call and ask. I did read on last year's forums that while Spain does not have a DC orientation, they do have an orientation in Spain in august/september. so perhaps the other European countries operate similarly.

Actually, good point. I know Germany has one too ... I remember reading it somewhere ... so it really isn't a pre-departure thing ... since you've departed to the place ... but same thing. But yeah, I guess we'll just have to see until we get our final notices in the mail!

Actually, good point. I know Germany has one too ... I remember reading it somewhere ... so it really isn't a pre-departure thing ... since you've departed to the place ... but same thing. But yeah, I guess we'll just have to see until we get our final notices in the mail!

Now that I think about it, I remember reading something about orientation being in Rome,l and something about all the Fulbrights meeting each other there.

Pay your own way, I don't think so. From what I read in last year's blogs, your flight and 3-5 day hotel is paid for.

I´m a finalist for a Turkey ETA. Is there anyone else? Does anyone know if the same issues from last year might occur again this year?

I'm a finalist for Turkey ETA as well. What were the issues that led to delays last year? I saw on the spreadsheet from last year that turkey's eta's weren't notified until May but didn't read through the massive thread from last year.

Also, does anyone know if we can request our "ranking" from the american selection committee? Someone told me, or I read somewhere, that the us fulbright commission ranks candidates and then some of the foreign committees just take the top half as winners (and the other countries probably would take into account the us commission's rankings). I don't remember where I heard this thought so I don't have the nerve to bug my region's rep.

Also, does anyone know if we can request our "ranking" from the american selection committee? Someone told me, or I read somewhere, that the us fulbright commission ranks candidates and then some of the foreign committees just take the top half as winners (and the other countries probably would take into account the us commission's rankings). I don't remember where I heard this thought so I don't have the nerve to bug my region's rep.

I too have read about the rankings, and I am extremely curious.. but too cowardly to call and ask. Also, could someone post the link to last year's spreadsheet? I want to see when my program started putting out notices. I read on the country's fulbright page that they are intending to put out notices before the first of April, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it's not usually until June/July...

I too have read about the rankings, and I am extremely curious.. but too cowardly to call and ask. Also, could someone post the link to last year's spreadsheet? I want to see when my program started putting out notices. I read on the country's fulbright page that they are intending to put out notices before the first of April, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it's not usually until June/July...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0

Here's the link ^^

Hey all, I am a finalist for a Full Grant in Spain. My research proposal involves synthetic organic chemistry and cellular molecular biology. Anyone else a finalist for Spain / does anyone know how many finalists there are?