Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I need to look this up again. But I found something 750-850 Euro? I'm thinking 750 .... I heard it's the same as the DAAD Grant ... I need to find that website again though ... it's most def "not very much" so it's basically like being a poor grad student, except in Europe. So it looks like bread and butter for all meals! Haha.

Here is the stipend for Italy:

GRANT BENEFITS

The grant amounts to € 12.800. This sum includes a maintenance allowance of € 9.900, a settling-in &

housing allowance of € 1.800 and a travel allowance of € 1.100. The grantee will be covered by Health

and Accident Insurance for the whole grant period, provided by United States Department of State.

Here is the stipend for Italy:

GRANT BENEFITS

The grant amounts to € 12.800. This sum includes a maintenance allowance of € 9.900, a settling-in &

housing allowance of € 1.800 and a travel allowance of € 1.100. The grantee will be covered by Health

and Accident Insurance for the whole grant period, provided by United States Department of State.

I like the sound of these numbers! Haha.

So I was notified a few days ago that I'm a finalist for a Fulbright in the UK--would be applying for a specialized university-specific grant. However, they notified about interviews on January 28th, and I didn't get one.

Being the neurotic sort, I emailed Michael Scott-Kline and the International Advisor, asking if this meant my application was no longer under consideration. Apparently one can still be considered--Mr. Scott-Kline wrote back "

"Not to worry - several others have asked too. It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

I can't imagine that they would lie to make me feel better if I was no longer a candidate, but does anyone have any input on whether this might be a good/bad/neutral sign? I was very thorough in my application and was sure to mention things about my detailed research project as well as details about myself as a "cultural ambassador," so it might be true that they didn't need more information and it was a positive thing.

Anyone hear of someone getting a grant sans interview?

well my advisor returned my email with bad news, I didn't get recommended. I still dunno why I didn't get an official email.

This is crappy. My application was badass too, on piracy in the medieval Mediterranean; I wonder if they're de-emphasizing historical topics?

Dunno. I know someone doing historical research related to piracy (dif country though) that's on a Fulbright in Europe right now.

I'm a finalist for Turkey ETA as well. What were the issues that led to delays last year? I saw on the spreadsheet from last year that turkey's eta's weren't notified until May but didn't read through the massive thread from last year.

Also, does anyone know if we can request our "ranking" from the american selection committee? Someone told me, or I read somewhere, that the us fulbright commission ranks candidates and then some of the foreign committees just take the top half as winners (and the other countries probably would take into account the us commission's rankings). I don't remember where I heard this thought so I don't have the nerve to bug my region's rep.

Congrats! Last year they seemed to have some problems with funding and getting paperwork in order. I hope that they notify earlier because I have another scholarship as well and really don´t want to have to decline it then get rejected.

So I was notified a few days ago that I'm a finalist for a Fulbright in the UK--would be applying for a specialized university-specific grant. However, they notified about interviews on January 28th, and I didn't get one.

Being the neurotic sort, I emailed Michael Scott-Kline and the International Advisor, asking if this meant my application was no longer under consideration. Apparently one can still be considered--Mr. Scott-Kline wrote back "

"Not to worry - several others have asked too. It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

I can't imagine that they would lie to make me feel better if I was no longer a candidate, but does anyone have any input on whether this might be a good/bad/neutral sign? I was very thorough in my application and was sure to mention things about my detailed research project as well as details about myself as a "cultural ambassador," so it might be true that they didn't need more information and it was a positive thing.

Anyone hear of someone getting a grant sans interview?

Wow. That gets my hopes back up again ( I also have not heard about an interview), though honestly the US-UK website says that people on the shortlist get interviews, so I'm skeptical about what he said.

Where did you find his e-mail address?

Found the e-mail address. Do you think he meant there are 600 finalists?? That seems impossible!

I think that's how many applicants there were total to the UK. The statistics on iie's website showed just around 600 applicants last year.

Will the Fulbright committee let us know that they have received our official transcripts/should we follow up with them after sending them in?

I was wondering about this too. I was going to follow up with them this week, just to be sure.

I am also interested. Please do let us know on here if you get a notification via-email or you end up giving them a call.

I called this morning.

They said that they won't confirm if they received individual transcripts, but that they will contact us if they are missing anything.

Understandable, given the number of applicants.

Hope this helps.

Hi! glad I found this forum. Anyway, I've been recommended for an ETA in Sri Lanka. Since applying in the fall, I've gotten TESOL certification and certification as a pro literacy worldwide tutor. Unfortunately, these certifications aren't mentioned anywhere on my application...I think they would definitely strengthen my application and make that difference. Should I even bother attempting to contact the Sri Lanka commission? I doubt they take application materials at this point, but it's killing me that I've had this further training that isn't on my application.........

ps..this whole waiting thing is the pits.

Hi! glad I found this forum. Anyway, I've been recommended for an ETA in Sri Lanka. Since applying in the fall, I've gotten TESOL certification and certification as a pro literacy worldwide tutor. Unfortunately, these certifications aren't mentioned anywhere on my application...I think they would definitely strengthen my application and make that difference. Should I even bother attempting to contact the Sri Lanka commission? I doubt they take application materials at this point, but it's killing me that I've had this further training that isn't on my application.........

I received and email from my campus advisor way back when saying to update them with any relavent information concerning the grant. So, for example, I'm applying to a specific program that allows me to get a grad degree at a specific college. When I submitted my application to the Fulbright commitee, I hadn't received word on whether or not i was accepted into the college itself. When I did receive my acceptence letter, I was advised by my campus advisor to send the letter to the regional director at IIE that commands my area. If I were you, I would send in an email to your campus advisor and ask what you should do.

well my advisor returned my email with bad news, I didn't get recommended. I still dunno why I didn't get an official email.

This is crappy. My application was badass too, on piracy in the medieval Mediterranean; I wonder if they're de-emphasizing historical topics?

Sorry. What country, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats to all of you who moved on to the next round! To all those that were rejected, my heart goes out to you.

I was rejected from the UK, and was reading this thread (to make myself feel better, I suppose). I may apply next year, who knows. Anyone who's moving on this round got rejected last time? Any words of advice to share?

I sent proof of admission to a university to the relevant regional director at IEE. If your regional director is as helpful as mine, shooting him/her an e-mail would be illuminating, and s/he can forward any info to the Sri Lankan comission.