Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

The waiting game is literally driving me crazy. I'm an anxiety-ridden mess! It doesn't help that I just had two cups of coffee...

And of course, I live in Washington State so my letter will take a few days to get here once it's sent out. Approximately three more hours until the mail comes.

I'm new to this board, and I haven't heard back yet, but I want to say how happy I am to find a group of people that are as anxious about this as I am! Unfortunately Italy seems to be one of the last countries to notify applicants (so typical, hahah).

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!

I'm new to this board, and I haven't heard back yet, but I want to say how happy I am to find a group of people that are as anxious about this as I am! Unfortunately Italy seems to be one of the last countries to notify applicants (so typical, hahah).

I applied to Italy as well, and you just have to accept the fact that they take their time. It's the Italian way...piano a piano.

Congrats!!! May I ask where the envelope arrived (I'm also an applicant for France, so your post has put me on pins and needles!) :)

Hey, the envelope was post-marked on March 10 from New York and it arrived in Denver on March 14. No information regarding the grant itself just told me I was accepted and to start taking care of medical stuff. Was told that more information should come from IIE or from France's commission. If anyone else for France has more info etc then send me a message and we can e-mail. Saw there was one other acceptee, Anon, on the spreadsheet.

Hooray for waiting! I'm a research finalist to the Western Hemisphere. :)

Quick question about university affiliations: Does anyone have resources or a link to the official procedure on gaining admission? I have the impression that we are supposed to apply according to the institution's deadlines as though we will receive the grant. Have you all started doing this or done it already?

Has anyone had to provide official translations of their transcripts for their affiliation? I feel like I could do a passable work-up of my transcripts in the host language, which would be free. The "official translation" service websites provide quotes of $100+. Is this cost reimbursed?

One other question: I realized that the wording in my proposal doesn't specify exactly when I would start. I don't want to apply to begin at one time if Fulbright would expect me to begin at a different time! Anyone else had experience with this? (I realize that this is a little vague -- feel free to pm me for specifics!)

Loving the spreadsheets. Would it be possible or a moderator to put a sticky at the top of the thread so that the links are available on every page of posts? That would be so convenient!

Edited by siguenomas

From what I understand you are responsible for gaining admission to any institution you plan to study at. Fulbright does not automatically mean admission. I had to apply to the university in Spain that ill hopefully be attending. They told me that on the past unaware people have gained the Fulbright but not admission. Thankfully I was admitted. If you haven't done so already I'd get tight on it. Depending on how prevalent You institution is in you proposal having admission o think makes your Fulbright app stronger.

I'm a research finalist to the Western Hemisphere too!

That's a really good question. I think the best thing to do would be to contact the host-country university you are affiliating with. You may or may not have to go through the same admission process other students go through. I provided unofficial transcripts to my affiliation. They didn't need a translation of the transcript then, but that was about a year ago. Also, the host-country university I'm affiliating with does state that international students wishing to admit need an their earned degrees approved by the embassy in their country embassy in the host country.

I didn't specify when I wanted to start either. They say that most grantees in my host country begin in the fall, with August being the soonest and March the latest when one can start. When I spoke with the affiliated university, the dean mentioned he would prefer I begin in the fall semester. However, their semester begins in late July, meaning I'd miss a couple of days of class. So I was thinking it might be best for me to start in the spring, or I don't know. I'm assuming that the embassy of the host country (or the Fulbright commission if your country has one) will just contact the affiliate university and ask them when they want you to start. Or maybe, they'll leave it up to you to do that research (since we had to find our own affiliates anyways).

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but at least you know you have someone whose in the same boat as you are. I'm hoping we will hear from Fulbright within the next two weeks. Soon after that I want to contact Fulbright/the university to figure out when they want me (or when I can choose) to begin.

Ah! This is so stressful. I'm super excited, and cannot wait to hear back. I really want this!

Question: "siguenomas"—I'm assuming you are going to a Latin American country. Which one? (Can't tell from the spreadsheet)

Hooray for waiting! I'm a research finalist to the Western Hemisphere. :)

Quick question about university affiliations: Does anyone have resources or a link to the official procedure on gaining admission? I have the impression that we are supposed to apply according to the institution's deadlines as though we will receive the grant. Have you all started doing this or done it already?

Has anyone had to provide official translations of their transcripts for their affiliation? I feel like I could do a passable work-up of my transcripts in the host language, which would be free. The "official translation" service websites provide quotes of $100+. Is this cost reimbursed?

One other question: I realized that the wording in my proposal doesn't specify exactly when I would start. I don't want to apply to begin at one time if Fulbright would expect me to begin at a different time! Anyone else had experience with this? (I realize that this is a little vague -- feel free to pm me for specifics!)

Loving the spreadsheets. Would it be possible or a moderator to put a sticky at the top of the thread so that the links are available on every page of posts? That would be so convenient!

what is going on with the spreadsheet? that is really distracting and kind of pathetic. does anyone see what i see?

Yes. It is not loading completely and someone keeps changing the information around. Not to mention, they are writing inappropirate comments .

Edited by 172169

Hi all,

Found out on Sunday that I was awarded an ETA in the Slovak Republic. (Very pumped!) Do any of you out there know where you'll be placed, or does that information come at a later point (I, for one, did not receive any information on the institution I will be teaching at...).

Hurray!

Edited by MoreAdventurous

From what I understand you are responsible for gaining admission to any institution you plan to study at. Fulbright does not automatically mean admission. I had to apply to the university in Spain that ill hopefully be attending. They told me that on the past unaware people have gained the Fulbright but not admission. Thankfully I was admitted. If you haven't done so already I'd get tight on it. Depending on how prevalent You institution is in you proposal having admission o think makes your Fulbright app stronger.

Skyfire, do you have a link to the documentation on this? I remember hearing it, too.

Selected for a Fulbright grant (research) to Germany today. Looks like things mailed out from the United Nations Plaza in NYC on the 11th, last Friday. I'm in upstate NY so it took it's sweet time getting here.

Selected for a Fulbright grant (research) to Germany today. Looks like things mailed out from the United Nations Plaza in NYC on the 11th, last Friday. I'm in upstate NY so it took it's sweet time getting here.

Congrats Goodie! I'm hoping the ETA notifications aren't far behind...

Anyone out there apply for a CLEA grant? The Egypt CLEA people just wrote asking for a detailed study plan that is due April 1. Just wondering if this is sent out to everyone who applied for a CLEA or if I should be excited about perhaps making it through another selection round. Also since it is due April 1 I guess that means there's no way we'll be finding out till after then.

A fellow Egypt finalist here too. I got the same email re: CLEA. Since they asked everyone for a new application with Arabic abstract in January, I assume that they must have asked everyone for a revised CLEA study plan as well. CLEA decisions are made separately from the grant, so no telling whether the April 1 date impacts our apps. I am hoping the revolutionary excitement will cause them to decide earlier, but this might be wishful thinking.

حظ سعيد

Ja, it's so very pathetic that idiots want to destroy something open to the public.

Thankfully, the creator of the spreadsheet can just go back to an older version.

Thanks guys for keeping an eye out on the spreadsheet. I haven't had the time to go through previous versions, but it seems people took care of the "mess". I appreciate the email I got to take a look at this. I suggest everyone checking their information. I might restrict access tonight to just see what kinds of options I have in terms of making sure this sh*t doesn't happen again and to clean up the mess w/o 20 people looking at the sheet. It's really annoying. Anyways, thanks guys!

AND in regards to posting the link ... I could edit my first post and add the link there if you guys want that, so it'd be at least the first or second post of this long thread.

thanks again.

EDIT: Where did the first two rows go? ARGH.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Congrats! Oh man, I am scared to check my mail now. I went back home for a few days and came back here (I go to a university 5 hours away) because I was getting anxious ... but I'll wait until the mailman comes ...

A fellow Egypt finalist here too. I got the same email re: CLEA. Since they asked everyone for a new application with Arabic abstract in January, I assume that they must have asked everyone for a revised CLEA study plan as well. CLEA decisions are made separately from the grant, so no telling whether the April 1 date impacts our apps. I am hoping the revolutionary excitement will cause them to decide earlier, but this might be wishful thinking.

Hello! I agree with you re: the revolutionary fervor working in our favor. Like, that we would find out...tomorrow! But Jermaine's latest email seems to suggest the opposite :(

Qahira, I see that your project is also in the art history field! what is it about?

Congratulations on making it this far! I'm also an Italy finalist so I guess we're competition at this point, but good luck nonetheless. And yeah, of course Italy takes its sweet time - nice when you're living there, in that mode of life, but so frustrating waiting to get there!

What city/research topic are you looking at?

Congratulations on making it this far! I'm also an Italy finalist so I guess we're competition at this point, but good luck nonetheless. And yeah, of course Italy takes its sweet time - nice when you're living there, in that mode of life, but so frustrating waiting to get there!

What city/research topic are you looking at?

My project splits time between Rome and Padova, and examines how independent (Radio Libera) radio programs are designed to cover the topic of immigration and if radio is adapting for a new immigrant audience. It's hard to pack into a single category, it's a blend of radio/communications/immigration studies.

what about you?

My project splits time between Rome and Padova, and examines how independent (Radio Libera) radio programs are designed to cover the topic of immigration and if radio is adapting for a new immigrant audience. It's hard to pack into a single category, it's a blend of radio/communications/immigration studies.

what about you?

That sounds fascinating. I'm in history and look at a sixteenth-century literary academy in Siena that had a very high rate of female participation. I'm applying to conduct research for my dissertation and have a few different directions I could take it, but waiting to see if I'll even be able to do the research before I get anything set in stone.

oy, outright rejected...i have to admit, i was surprised i didn't get at least alternate, having had a phone interview w/ the UK commission..but there you go. hurts even more than i thought it would! time to move on to the next aspiration, right? thanks for everyone's help and support the last couple months and, truly, good luck to all other hopefuls on here!

oy, outright rejected...i have to admit, i was surprised i didn't get at least alternate, having had a phone interview w/ the UK commission..but there you go. hurts even more than i thought it would! time to move on to the next aspiration, right? thanks for everyone's help and support the last couple months and, truly, good luck to all other hopefuls on here!

Wishing you the best on your future endeavors.