Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

ETA - so anywhere! If I were to receive the scholarship my hunch is that I would not be Johannesburg or Pretoria... I remember reading somewhere that they do not like to place ETAs in the capital(s) but I could be wrong. You?

hooray, fellow South Africa people!

I'm a candidate for a research grant. Looking to live in Jo'burg :)

Any other Norway news today?? :) SO impatient now that I know some decisions have been sent out and received!! ahhh..

I called my sister to see if I'd gotten any mail today, she said that I got a medium sized manila envelope from Olso. The first thing I thought was, oi, I'm either rejected or an alternate. It turns out it was acceptance letter for the Oslo International Summer School which I already knew I'd gotten.

I felt a mixture of relief and disappointment.....ahhh

No email today either :(

Poland-ers: I just got my award letter (accepted pending health/visa clearance), check your mailboxes and good luck!

Congrats!! What part of the US are you in, out of curiosity? My letter is being sent to Boston, so I'm hoping it won't take too long to get there from NY...

(even though I'm in NYC myself, which is really frustrating!!)

I called my sister to see if I'd gotten any mail today, she said that I got a medium sized manila envelope from Olso. The first thing I thought was, oi, I'm either rejected or an alternate. It turns out it was acceptance letter for the Oslo International Summer School which I already knew I'd gotten.

I felt a mixture of relief and disappointment.....ahhh

No email today either :(

Ahhh :(:( By the way, I did the Oslo International Summer School program 3 years ago, it was cool!

I am just dying of impatience!!!! I can't stand it...! I wish I knew when the next decisions were being sent out! Noone else from the spreadsheet has updated about Norway either, all we've heard so far is that one person who got it.. ugh..

Congrats!! What part of the US are you in, out of curiosity? My letter is being sent to Boston, so I'm hoping it won't take too long to get there from NY...

(even though I'm in NYC myself, which is really frustrating!!)

I'm in NYC, too. I think that means I was the lucky one the mail got to first. :)

hooray, fellow South Africa people!

I'm a candidate for a research grant. Looking to live in Jo'burg :)

I'd like to travel around a bit. I wrote I wanted to go to 3 different cities and although I have contacts in each of those places, I wonder if that counts against me. I know they like for people to be outside of the major cities but do they also prefer for people to stay in one place?

Ahhhh! I had my skype interview with the Mexico City Commission for an ETA scholarship this week. I felt like it went pretty well, but we'll have to see. Anybody else for Mexico ETA??

I had my interview March 1 for the ETA in Mexico and am still anxiously awaiting a reply. I have spoken with a girl who received the Mexico ETA last year and she said they found out like the end of march but they didn't have the same kind of interview thing like we did. Based on an earlier post I'm thinking that we should expect to hear closer to mid-april like comexus told us :-( I JUST WANT TO KNOW ALREADY!!!! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!!

Edited by chelseam3

I gave in and emailed Rachel today. I found out that I have to accept or decline another teaching program in Spain on Monday, so I figured I should email and see if we might know by then.

Please do tell us what her response is!

It looks like it got sent from NY, basic snail mail. There's another person who received notification while living in Germany on the spreadsheet, and it seems like there's about a 3 day delay as compared to applicants living in the US. Hope that helps.

Skyfire--I noticed you seem to know a lot about JET. I'm currently a finalist for JET and just received an offer for an ETA grant. Which would you choose if you had to pick between the two? There are a lot of pluses and minuses for each opportunity, and it would be great to have another opinion from someone who knows a lot about both.

Really it depends on what you want to do later in life. I mean they're both great programs. I think fulbright is more prestigious sure but its only 8 - 9 months. Jet could potentially go on for 5 years. Jet also pays really well - better then fulbright. But I see jet as setting a career trajectory towards teaching english wherer as fulbright has name recognition and prestige that would aid you anywhere you go. Also, having lived in japan for a few months I ca,e away with the impression that though it is an awesome place to visit, its not a place to set down roots. Besides being damn near impossible, the japanese are very ethnocentric in their thinking making acceptence there a rare thing for a foreignor. I felt like any time I spent there, though exciting and amazing was a waste of time in terms of my overall life goals because I could t make anything permanent work there. Where as with the fulbright you could be making contacts that could lead to something amazing and exciting. O it could be as transitory as jet. Really its up to you. If it qere me I would go for the fulbright. But then again I applied for a full grant that will earn me anm MBA. I sujppose as an ETA you'd be doing similar if not the same think as you would on the jet program. Except jet lasts longer and pays better. Hmm.

Also id argue with the whole competitveness thing... I thin k jet is more competitive - especially since it has been declining in recent years while demand has been increasing. Last year there were over 5000 applicants for about 1500 spaces. I applied two years running - made alternate the first year and nothing the second year.

Hi Hmoser --

Thanks for your advice! Rachel emailed me that she thought it would be better to keep my US address on, and just have it sent. I know it takes more time, but she said that was ok. I'm applying for a Research Grant.

What are you doing in Berlin/how long have you been here? I'm in Xberg. And yes, the weather is MUCH better now :)

haha small world - I'm in Berlin too! it's nice to know someone else will be depending on the mercy of Deutsche Post...

I'm actually applying to the Indonesia ETA. It seems people in the US received letters yesterday, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long for whatever letter to get to Germany. I figure if I don't get anything by next week I'll email the regional rep for Asia to see if he can tell me my status.

Good luck to you! At least we finally have some schön weather for our wait!

If anyone else from Norway wants to email Rachel and see if any more letters will be sent out anytime soon after the batch that was sent out on Friday please do! I already called her this week so I think I used up my annoyingness allowance for this week, but it would be great to know if there is an end in sight for these other decisions to be sent out!

I'd like to travel around a bit. I wrote I wanted to go to 3 different cities and although I have contacts in each of those places, I wonder if that counts against me. I know they like for people to be outside of the major cities but do they also prefer for people to stay in one place?

Loli - I think it depends on your research, travel, I would imagine would not be a "knock" on your application :)

If anyone else from Norway wants to email Rachel and see if any more letters will be sent out anytime soon after the batch that was sent out on Friday please do! I already called her this week so I think I used up my annoyingness allowance for this week, but it would be great to know if there is an end in sight for these other decisions to be sent out!

I am also anxiously awaiting news from Norway. I just emailed Rachel and will let you know as soon as I hear back from her. Hopefully we all hear soon! I can't imagine why they would have such a discrepancy between notification dates.

Bluedevil, If you don't want your ETA, I'll take it. LOL.

Skyfire, I think it was you that I responded to somewhere on another page of this thread. It might be on page 59 or 60. Do you have any more advice for me?

Also, does anyone know who wrote that they were alternate turned accepted as ETA for Indonesia in the spreadsheet? It seems like they heard pretty fast. Or, is someone just messing up the spreadsheet again?

Fulbright ETA >>> JET

I don't know how one concludes that JET is more competitive than a Fulbright ETA since it varies by countries (France---5/125 acceptance rate, Italy 7/90...and 139/301 for Germany). I'm plenty sure JET applications will drop significantly after this year due to what happened in Japan and will probably cross its fingers for applicants.

I had my interview March 1 for the ETA in Mexico and am still anxiously awaiting a reply. I have spoken with a girl who received the Mexico ETA last year and she said they found out like the end of march but they didn't have the same kind of interview thing like we did. Based on an earlier post I'm thinking that we should expect to hear closer to mid-april like comexus told us :-( I JUST WANT TO KNOW ALREADY!!!! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!!

Really, Comexus told you mid-April??? Ughh. They told me fines de marzo, maybe they will notify for different programs separately; I am Binational Business and had my interview Feb. 11. I don't think I can wait until mid-April!

Does anyone else have Jonathan Akeley (South Asia and Pacific) for an IIE? He hasn't returned any of my emails that I sent him in the past week, and I was wondering if anyone else had trouble getting in contact with him too.

Is it possible to find out what number you are on an alternate list? Does anyone know if they would consider telling you if you really, really need to figure out how to plan your summer NOW because a summer opportunity has made itself available to you? I wrote something else about this in another post somewhere; I think it might have been page 59 or 60.

Does anyone else have Jonathan Akeley (South Asia and Pacific) for an IIE? He hasn't returned any of my emails that I sent him in the past week, and I was wondering if anyone else had trouble getting in contact with him too.

I emailed him last week (or maybe it was the week before that; I've forgotten what day it was. Sorry!) about something and never heard anything back.

I emailed him last week (or maybe it was the week before that; I've forgotten what day it was. Sorry!) about something and never heard anything back.

Well I am glad I am not the only one, I am beginning to become paranoid over it.

Fulbright ETA >>> JET

I don't know how one concludes that JET is more competitive than a Fulbright ETA since it varies by countries (France---5/125 acceptance rate, Italy 7/90...and 139/301 for Germany). I'm plenty sure JET applications will drop significantly after this year due to what happened in Japan and will probably cross its fingers for applicants.

If this was in response to my posting, you misread what I wrote. I said that the Fulbright is more competitive than JET. Great statistics, though.