Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

IIE shouldn't be impacted, so I guess it may depend on the (application) stage of each country's fulbright program. I assume it will slow-down State's decision-making process; they will be short-staffed if the government shuts down.

IIE shouldn't be impacted, so I guess it may depend on the (application) stage of each country's fulbright program. I assume it will slow-down State's decision-making process; they will be short-staffed if the government shuts down.

The country I applied to currently has no government, and now our government may shut down. Sheesh! Am I doomed, or what! (Because of course all of these crises are really about me rolleyes.gif)

Just checked the mail in Columbus, OH again and still no word from Korea. I barely slept last night, I can't keep doing this.

I'm wondering if all three letters (acceptance, alternate and rejection) are sent out at the same time. It's a bit stressful.

Good luck everyone.

I'm also in Ohio, Wooster to be exact, and I haven't heard anything either. Most likely it just hasn't reached our area yet.

Hi guys, I haven't been reading all the threads, but I'm an ETA finalist for turkey and got an email from Rachel the other day. Apparently she doesn't think any kind of notification for turkey will go out before the end of this month at the earliest, so...we'll be waiting for a while. Best of luck to all.

Can we apply for more than one ETA position?! I was under the impression we could only do one at a time...

Damis is right, it's a bizarre special thing. The Austria program is done through the Austrian government directly, and while you get to say that you've "got a Fulbright", it's done through a different timeline and a different process--the application wasn't due until Jan. 15th and there isn't a finalist status. Theirs is also directed very specifically at people who aim to be German teachers (which, since I don't, is why I'm not surprised I got alternate). So, you aren't restricted from applying to a different "true ETA" program (like I did for Germany). Kind of a nice thing.

Yes, I have been lurking and anxiously awaiting any notification. I really hope we hear either this week or next!

Me too! It seems like a lot of the other Europe finalists have heard but I guess we'll just have to be patient. :rolleyes: Do you know how many finalists there are?

BIG NEWS! biggrin.gif

I received an email from Cara Wolinsky saying they sent out letters to CENTRAL AMERICA / CARIBBEAN on Monday , so we should be hearing back soon!!!

Back to checking the mail one million times a day!

So excited.

What will this do to the alternates? I hope Fulbright still receives extra funding.

Germany ETA's:

Just spoke to Cara on the phone because the wait finally got to me (to be fair, first time I'd ever actually contacted her... shocked I made it this long). Apparently letters were sent out on a rolling basis, so some are still going out this week. She said something about how they got sent out depending on when they heard back from Germany/when they got the final American clearance. Not quite sure what this means as far as THE answer goes, but I've decided to resign myself to a rejection until I hear otherwise.

Also, she said she did indeed email out if things were missing from your application, so at least that's a relief.

Any Sub-Saharan Africa Applicants want to email Jermaine Jones? I emailed him on Monday (and the previous Monday)... I don't want to be "that guy". Any takers? jjones@iie.org

Hey FryGuy. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I called him yesterday and got the same generic response...

Based on previous years, he expects that we should hear back within the next few weeks. :/

Edited by Loli

BIG NEWS! biggrin.gif

I received an email from Cara Wolinsky saying they sent out letters to CENTRAL AMERICA / CARIBBEAN on Monday , so we should be hearing back soon!!!

Back to checking the mail one million times a day!

So excited.

As I said before, my letter was postmarked 4/1, which was Friday, for a Central America full grant. And, it traveled all the way to the desert SW by yesterday (Tuesday). I'd be surprised if other letters sent then haven't arrived yet.

Unrelated: Anyone have any updates on full grants for Mexico? I have a friend waiting on pins-and-needles, even more so now since two of us heard yesterday.

Edited by naangalia nyota

Hey FryGuy. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I called him yesterday and got the same generic response...

Based on previous years, he expects that we should hear back within the next few weeks. :/

I'm clearly preachign to the choir here, but this waiting is making me NUTS.

Did you apply to two countries? How is that possible?

Full explanation above-- the Autrian program is technically Fulbright, but the application is different, so you can apply to it alongside another ETA (I applied to Germany).

Just emailed Rachel about Spain and she said : "We’re hoping to get letters out in the next 1-2 weeks."

...so this implies to me that the decisions have been made and now they just need to get them ready for mailing

Germany ETA's:

Just spoke to Cara on the phone because the wait finally got to me (to be fair, first time I'd ever actually contacted her... shocked I made it this long). Apparently letters were sent out on a rolling basis, so some are still going out this week. She said something about how they got sent out depending on when they heard back from Germany/when they got the final American clearance. Not quite sure what this means as far as THE answer goes, but I've decided to resign myself to a rejection until I hear otherwise.

Also, she said she did indeed email out if things were missing from your application, so at least that's a relief.

agggggggghhhhhhhhhh this worries me, I'm nervous now that I haven't heard back and it doesn't seem like there are any rejections up on our spreadsheet yet... hopefully it's just that the mail is slow. WANT TO KNOW!!

Just emailed Rachel about Spain and she said : "We’re hoping to get letters out in the next 1-2 weeks."

...so this implies to me that the decisions have been made and now they just need to get them ready for mailing

Didn't Rachel say "1-2 weeks" two weeks ago? Why would they post April 1st on the Spanish Fulbright website if they are going it get them out closer to May 1 than April 1. Ugh... my patience is running low!

Didn't Rachel say "1-2 weeks" two weeks ago? Why would they post April 1st on the Spanish Fulbright website if they are going it get them out closer to May 1 than April 1. Ugh... my patience is running low!

This is the worst! I was under the impression we would know by Friday. Ok.. No more gradcafe and checking the mail 100x/day for me this week; I'm going a bit insane with anxiety.

Hm, frustrating (a reoccurring theme of the past few weeks). I just want to be persistent and "keep on him" for a lack of better words...Reading this forum is a blessing and a curse, it makes me anxious, but it also answers a lot of my questions. I hope we find out when they found out the last two years, April 11th - 12th!!!!

This is the worst! I was under the impression we would know by Friday. Ok.. No more gradcafe and checking the mail 100x/day for me this week; I'm going a bit insane with anxiety.

I thought when she said 1-2 weeks last time that she meant 1-2 weeks until Spain made a final decision. This time it sounds like it's on the IIE to send out notifications. I think it'll only be through mail.

Last year they screwed up apparently and selected too many Spain people and the IIE told them before notifying applicants leading to an additional 2 weeks. No idea what's the case this time.

Someone should plan on emailing her again Monday.

Just woke up to an e-mail notifying me of my alternate status for the Austrian ETA... here's hoping for good news from Germany later on today...

I woke up to the exact same email. Not a great way to start my day! Hope you had better luck with Germany!

I hope this means Ukraine will be sent out soon too..

Letters were allegedly planned to be sent out last week. I'm currently outside the U.S., so I expect a bit of a delay, but if you're in the states, keep a look out, I guess?

I already did two weeks ago, but you can try emailing Rachel Holskin. She seemed pretty forthcoming.

Damis is right, it's a bizarre special thing. The Austria program is done through the Austrian government directly, and while you get to say that you've "got a Fulbright", it's done through a different timeline and a different process--the application wasn't due until Jan. 15th and there isn't a finalist status. Theirs is also directed very specifically at people who aim to be German teachers (which, since I don't, is why I'm not surprised I got alternate). So, you aren't restricted from applying to a different "true ETA" program (like I did for Germany). Kind of a nice thing.

From the Austrian Fulbright Website FAQ about USTA section:

"

minus.gif As a U.S. Teaching Assistant, am I a Fulbrighter?

No, because the U.S. Teaching Assistantship program is not part of the official Fulbright grant programs. The Fulbright Commission administers the program for the Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture. As a U.S. Teaching Assistant you are a salaried employee of the respective local school board."

minus.gifCan I apply to the U.S. Teaching Assistantship program in Austria if I also apply to a Fulbright ETA program in a different country?

Yes, because the Austrian U.S. Teaching Assistantship program is not part of the official Fulbright grant programs."

by the way, best of luck Eule! hope you get off the alternate list soon!

Edited by mea41339

Hey Mexico people, all this happened yesterday. I emailed Jody Dudderar about when Mexico ETA notifications (I imagine it would be similar for the full and binational business) would be mailed out. She said, "It could be another 2 weeks; hopefully not more."

However, I also emailed Cara Wolinsky (since Jody is actually out of the office), and she said "Not sure. We are waiting for other approvals to come in before we can send out results."

Just thought I'd keep everybody posted.

did the "further pre-departure information" smaller envelope come separately in the mail?

Yup. I got a small white envelope from the German Commission with more details of the award. Then I had to email them to give them my permanent address, where they will send everything, which will make life more difficult. For example, I requested the language course and then they will resend that letter to my home address, rather than current. And I think after getting through the medical clearance, they will send more information to the permanent address.