Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what you're going to do at the end of the year after your fulbright ends? Just curious.

I did not get a CLEA. I was an alternate. The people in my group that received the CLEA all had strong language backgrounds; however, they weren't necessarily the applicants with the most language experience. A few of the current ETAs that majored in Chinese did not receive the grant.

The CLEA award is a nice way to get free language training and you get the opportunity to live in Taipei for a few months before the rest of the group arrives. At the same time, even without the award there are options for language development. You just have to decide how much time and money you're willing to invest.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what you're going to do at the end of the year after your fulbright ends? Just curious.

I'm headed to graduate school. It's exciting to be moving back into a an academically challenging environment. The CLEA applicants for the new year are invited to the banquet for the outgoing Fulbrighters. Hopefully, a few of you make it out! Let me know if you have any other Taiwan-related questions. There was a lot of things I didn't know when I left the states.

Anyone heard back from the Binational Business Fulbright to Mexico?

Nope, no dice so far. I love how the spreadsheet says that practically every other Western Hemisphere country has heard back, except us. The wait is driving me crazy! Suerte!

Thanks for this! but apparently Zocdoc doesn't exist in Oregon yet :(

Sorry! My backup plan was to ask everyone I knew in the area for their dr.'s info, then call the offices and ask to be squeezed in, explaining the situation. I hope you get an appt!!

Awarded a research grant to India for next year, but I'm pretty sure I'll be declining it. Does anyone on here have advice about how to graciously decline a Fulbright? I'm definitely planning on applying again, but I'm starting graduate school in the fall and want to be able to do a more focused, probably dissertation-research type project in the future instead of doing the Fulbright proposal I sort of made up in the fall because I thought I should apply...

I also am an alternate for Sweden. Crossing my fingers for both of us :)

Thanks, I'll be doing the same! Do let me know if you hear anything. I'm hoping for the best for both of us and praying that it doesn't involve much longer of a wait!

Nope, no dice so far. I love how the spreadsheet says that practically every other Western Hemisphere country has heard back, except us. The wait is driving me crazy! Suerte!

I know... according to everything I've read in the blog our letters should be out sometime this week or next week. Have you heard of any other time frame?

Gracias!!! Good luck to you too!!! :)

so we will hear about mexico sometime next week? has anyone directly talked to IIE? i'm just confused because the comexus site says we were supposed to be notified back in march

I know... according to everything I've read in the blog our letters should be out sometime this week or next week. Have you heard of any other time frame?

Gracias!!! Good luck to you too!!! :)

I actually already live in Moscow! I'm using my mother's address as getting mail from the US in Moscow is unfortunately a pretty lost cause. I did not go to U of U and am not from Utah either.

Tanyusha: Are you at the U of U? I'm a student in the U of U. If you're from the same university (in the same area), we should meet up!

so we will hear about mexico sometime next week? has anyone directly talked to IIE? i'm just confused because the comexus site says we were supposed to be notified back in march

I called the IIE office last Friday and they said that the answers were not out yet. They said that if they fixed something they would send them out that same day (last friday), if not in the coming days (this week?). Also, someone left a comment here around the end of March saying that they were told that it would take 1 to 2 more weeks (now this week or the next one).

I just hope we find out sooner rather than later.

Good luck!!

Awarded a research grant to India for next year, but I'm pretty sure I'll be declining it. Does anyone on here have advice about how to graciously decline a Fulbright? I'm definitely planning on applying again, but I'm starting graduate school in the fall and want to be able to do a more focused, probably dissertation-research type project in the future instead of doing the Fulbright proposal I sort of made up in the fall because I thought I should apply...

I don't know if this influences your decision, but you can complete a Fulbright and later go on to research via a Fulbright-Hays grant. Most grad schools will allow you to defer for something like the Fulbright.

Sorry! My backup plan was to ask everyone I knew in the area for their dr.'s info, then call the offices and ask to be squeezed in, explaining the situation. I hope you get an appt!!

I think I got it sorted out - we've got these no appointment clinics that are on the inexpensive end, and they said they could take care of it for pretty cheap :D Which is good because some of the other clinics I called in town were crazy expensive!

My paperwork says something about there being specific medical tests required for different countries - anyone have any idea what spain's are? I tried to call the embassy (IIE made it very clear in the letter they don't want calls about this) but they were closed for the day (apparently they close at 2?!).

Also what are people's thoughts on the "Optional" tests? I mean... if it's only optional, and I'm paying out of pocket I'm opting for not paying for them... thoughts anyone?

If you've got a good reason for declining, who cares if you're being gracious? Just explain to them what you told us here and there's no reason they should be upset with that. In any case, congratulations on the acceptance!

Located in Oregon, still no word. Hoping for tomorrow

Looks like over half of the India finalists on here have heard back. For the rest who are still waiting, where are you located? Please post an update when you get the letter!

I think I got it sorted out - we've got these no appointment clinics that are on the inexpensive end, and they said they could take care of it for pretty cheap :D Which is good because some of the other clinics I called in town were crazy expensive!

My paperwork says something about there being specific medical tests required for different countries - anyone have any idea what spain's are? I tried to call the embassy (IIE made it very clear in the letter they don't want calls about this) but they were closed for the day (apparently they close at 2?!).

Also what are people's thoughts on the "Optional" tests? I mean... if it's only optional, and I'm paying out of pocket I'm opting for not paying for them... thoughts anyone?

I definitely didn't do the optional tests. My theory is that most of these are to ensure you're healthy enough to be in an area with poor medical care. If you're going to a fairly developed country, they should be able to accommodate most things.

Does anyone know if they let us know if they do/do not receive our medical forms? I'm assuming I'll wait 4 weeks from when I mailed it in to start worrying...

I can call/email him on Thursday afternoon.

Looking forward to hearing your response! Fingers crossed that they go out today, rather than tomorrow (I'm going to be gone from Sunday - Saturday), frustrating.

No, I haven't heard any time frame so the next week sounds promising. Though my adviser did said that I would definitely have notification by May at the latest, I'm hoping soon?

Yeah I am not doing the optional tests either. Once you see the Dr. they will help you out with this a little bit, but no, don't take the optional tests if you don't want to, especially for Spain. I think for W. Europe the tests are the standard ones, I mean, we don't even have an orientation in the summer so I don't think there is anything extra you have to do.

and congrats!

Hi, I'm one of those constant lurkers... and an alternate for Korea. The only one, according to the spreadsheet. Are there any more hiding out there? Although, it would be great if I WERE the only one. Seventy accepted and only one alternate.. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to hearing your response! Fingers crossed that they go out today, rather than tomorrow (I'm going to be gone from Sunday - Saturday), frustrating.

Even if it was sent today, there's a good chance that you wouldn't get it until Monday. Doesn't it take about 3 days?

Edited by Loli