Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I similarly got an email from Jermaine about Syria saying that he is "not sure" of when notifications will go out, and "hopefully soon". He told me that the holdup in notifications doesn't have to do with the political climate in Syria, but rather it is caused by the budget situation in DC right now. Which I don't really understand...why do certain countries already have notifications sent out independent of the budget situation?

Edited by siuse

Thanks! I have you heard on yours yet? Keep us posted!

Just heard: I was awarded an ETA to Thailand!! We should get in touch!

For the spreadsheet:

Name: MTD

Address: Current

Notification Date: 4/20/2011

Postmark Date: 4/13/2011

Method: Large manilla

Academic Status: Undergrad

(!!!!!!!)

Just heard today that I am an alternate for Full India. Pretty bummed, but hopeful that some accepted folks decline in favor of Grad school or other ventures. Good luck all!

aPPiah,

I emailed Cara last week and go no response. Which made me think I probably didn't get the grant and I'll find out soon enough so she didn't even bother to email me haha. I'm in Illinois, so hopefully whatever was sent Friday will get here soon!

any updates of Sri Lanka?? I emailed Cara like two days ago and got no response...dunno how i should feel about that

Copying an e-mail for those waiting on Central Asia:

I completely understand the necessity to make arrangements. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on the green light from ECA (State Department) to send out the notification letters for Central Asia. They are finalizing budgets at the moment, which will determine all sorts of things, namely the final funding. I am hoping this will happen soon.

Thanks for your patience,

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer – Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

Anyone know what the typical possible timeline is for an alternate to accepted decision? Is there such a thing? I am an alternate for a Fulll India. I have heard that they can alert you as late as September....

aPPiah,

I emailed Cara last week and go no response. Which made me think I probably didn't get the grant and I'll find out soon enough so she didn't even bother to email me haha. I'm in Illinois, so hopefully whatever was sent Friday will get here soon!

Perhaps it means you got the grant. After all, wouldn't a bigger manila envelope take longer to find its way in the mail then a little white one? ;) Good luck to you both!

Just heard: I was awarded an ETA to Thailand!! We should get in touch!

For the spreadsheet:

Name: MTD

Address: Current

Notification Date: 4/20/2011

Postmark Date: 4/13/2011

Method: Large manilla

Academic Status: Undergrad

(!!!!!!!)

Congrats! I'll message you my contact details.

Now on to the joys of medical clearance... hopefully all goes well there. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having any problems though, so probably not much to worry about. ;)

So still no one's got anything official on China, eh?

The official word on China per an email from Jonathan Akeley yesterday morning is that "It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but we're hoping that the final notification letters for China will go out by the end of April." So guess we gotta hang in there a bit longer...

I have not heard yet :( I think that probably means that I was not awarded the ETA.

I don't know why but i was compelled to ask Jonathan if all the letters had been sent out. I have this desperate long-shot hope that somehow they made a mistake and I'm actually an alternate or something . :[

Anyways, I have useful information for you that ALL of the letters have been sent out as of now and that they are going to current addresses.

Congrats Kelly! Looks like you & I are both ETAs..any idea how the placement w/ the university is going to work? The other Morocco applicant has a full grant, so she has more flexibility.

My guess is that we wait patiently and eventually they let us know where we will be placed.....that seems to be the trend with Fulbright!

For those waiting for Egypt, I just received an email from Jermaine, who said: "decisions have not yet been made" and "I really hope that this will be done soon, but I have no way of confirming that at this time."

Gah! Thanks for posting this Qahara. I'm hoping against hope that since Morocco notifications have been sent out that means the Middle East floodgates have been opened and we'll find out soon...

Well May's just around the corner! Maybe I should go finish my thesis :huh:

Did the people in the spreadsheet listed as alternate, then accepted, get accepted because someone already dropped out? I received a letter from the Fulbright office of Indonesia telling me that I was an alternate and to let them know if I wanted to stay on the list or not. I don't understand why they sent me this when the Fulbright office in New York already notified me that I am an alternate. When do they find out if they have more money to send other people?

So two offices contacted you separately? Hmm... I'm an alternate for Norway and I only got the letter from NY. I didn't have to tell them I wanted to stay on the list though, I thought it was by default you stayed on the list unless you requested to be withdrawn??

They should find out around May/June if they have additional funding.

I don't know about the timeline other than what they say in the letter, but Cara informed me that there are 17 alternates for the full grant to India. Which makes me not so optimistic about my chances, so I'm putting it out of mind and moving on. It'd be a little easier if I knew what position I was on that list, but of course they refuse to provide any information that actually matters.

Anyone know what the typical possible timeline is for an alternate to accepted decision? Is there such a thing? I am an alternate for a Fulll India. I have heard that they can alert you as late as September....

Thanks emelie. It looks like we'll be lucky to receive word before the end of of the month. I bet some people will have to significantly alter plans because of this delay.

Copying an e-mail for those waiting on Central Asia:

I completely understand the necessity to make arrangements. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on the green light from ECA (State Department) to send out the notification letters for Central Asia. They are finalizing budgets at the moment, which will determine all sorts of things, namely the final funding. I am hoping this will happen soon.

Thanks for your patience,

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer – Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

I got my letter from IIE on Monday--I was listed as an alternate. The letter was postmarked Friday--I believe all notifications, acceptance and otherwise, went out at the same time. So hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Yea hopefully I will know soon. Did it go to you permanent or current address?

aPPiah,

Yea I'm thinking that maybe she didnt bother emailing me because the letters were already sent out. But we'll see soon enough.

I hate to keep asking you guys these questions but I dont wanna annoy the Fulbright offices more than I already have...

Does anyone know how STRICT the medical clearances are? I have a doctor's visit next week and I'm kinda worried that my cholesterol will be high or I might have some other issues (not life-threatening but the doctors always take things seriously yanno). Does it really just come down to whether or not a certain problem would require routine medical attention and take away from the Fulbright responsibilities? I mean, I'm healthy now as far as I know but I've never really had such in depth medical exams in years so I'm scared of what might come up and how seriously the State Department will scrutinize it. Obviously, if I have cancer or something I have other problems to deal with besides making the cut for Fulbright (and I don't think I do). lol But I just wanna know if something like high blood pressure could affect this.

Edited by studentb2011

I hate to keep asking you guys these questions but I dont wanna annoy the Fulbright offices more than I already have...

Does anyone know how STRICT the medical clearances are? I have a doctor's visit next week and I'm kinda worried that my cholesterol will be high or I might have some other issues (not life-threatening but the doctors always take things seriously yanno). Does it really just come down to whether or not a certain problem would require routine medical attention and take away from the Fulbright responsibilities? I mean, I'm healthy now as far as I know but I've never really had such in depth medical exams in years so I'm scared of what might come up and how seriously the State Department will scrutinize it. Obviously, if I have cancer or something I have other problems to deal with besides making the cut for Fulbright (and I don't think I do). lol But I just wanna know if something like high blood pressure could affect this.

Haha. Don't stress yourself and raise some other vital sign! Something minute as a slightly raised cholesterol level shouldn't effect you. I'd think this medical exam is both precautionary on their end, in regards to whether you suddenly fell ill abroad under their purview; along with a simple protocol that their lawyers had them check up on. Bureaucracy is crazy like that.

You'll be fine! Congrats again.

Minor things won't be an issue; however, different countries have different rules. For some, you may have to do a separate health evaluation in order to obtain a visa. There are countries (Taiwan included) who will deny you a visa if you test positive for HIV, tuberculosis, hepatitis, or certain other communicable diseases. If it's something treatable, I think you just have to show proof of completion of a treatment plan.

The official word on China per an email from Jonathan Akeley yesterday morning is that "It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but we're hoping that the final notification letters for China will go out by the end of April." So guess we gotta hang in there a bit longer...

Bleh, see now I'm all worried and over-analyzing due to the fact that I emailed Jonathan around the same time and he never responded. Makes me feel like maybe the coordinators don't bother replying to people they know are rejected anyway... Of course, there's probably no such pattern and they actually just respond to things depending on how busy they are/how easy the question is, but still, knowing how grad schools treat rejected applicants (don't bother informing you in any hurry) makes me a little leery... Waiting sucks.

Bleh, see now I'm all worried and over-analyzing due to the fact that I emailed Jonathan around the same time and he never responded. Makes me feel like maybe the coordinators don't bother replying to people they know are rejected anyway... Of course, there's probably no such pattern and they actually just respond to things depending on how busy they are/how easy the question is, but still, knowing how grad schools treat rejected applicants (don't bother informing you in any hurry) makes me a little leery... Waiting sucks.

It does suck, big time, but you probably are overthinking it a bit... I imagine Jonathan gets a hundred emails a day, and maybe he figured he already responded to yours. However, I highly doubt that he is taking the time to cross-check an email's sender with his (from what it sounded like, probably yet-to-be-determined) list of accepted candidates. Hang in there... we are in the home stretch.