LAKEHEAD HBSW 2022

RBMSW

On 2/25/2022 at 7:06 PM, LillianM14 said:

Lets hope we get lucky and hear back early! That will make planning much easier for us all. 
I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do honestly, I figure I may end up applying to both MSW and MPH programs, but I might also end up taking a year off (I was originally going to take this year off, but then I learned about this program and decided to apply and give it a go). 

Curious, have you guys applied for the Thunder Bay program, Orillia, or both? 

Fingers crossed for us all while we deal with the waiting process :') 

Nice! Taking a year off sounds like such a great idea. If I could go back, I’d do it between 18-24 (I’m 28 so that ship has sailed lol) 

MPH or MSW both sound like great choices!  Completing the HBSW would probably provide some clarity on next best steps you wish to take. 

I only applied to the Orillia campus. 

I figure if I get into this program, I'll take time off again after it to figure out if I even want/ need to go back to school again! 

I'm (obviously lol) really hoping I get in so that it can help me figure out what kind of path I want to take, whether that be an MSW, MPH, or whatever else :)

ok! I applied to both, I would prefer to go to Orillia given that its much closer to home, but if I get in at Thunder Bay, I'll definitely go there!

I know we still have a month and a bit until we hear back but waiting is brutal, especially in regards to planning for possible having to relocate/ jobs and stuff. I'm really looking forward to when we get answers!

Edited by LillianM14

17 minutes ago, LillianM14 said:

I'm not! I just finished my undergrad at uOttawa :)

What did you do your undergrad in? :) 

I did my psychology undergrad at Lakehead - Thunder Bay, graduated Spring 2021! I took 3 of the required social work classes and 1 elective in my 4th year to get a bit ahead!

I applied to this program last year and unfortunately was waitlisted and didn’t make it off the list. My direct social work experience was definitely lacking last application cycle but since graduating I have been working as a full time child protection worker for the Children’s Aid Society in Thunder Bay! 

I’m really hoping for good news this year, the waiting game is killing me lol!

My major is Human Kinetics and my minor is in the social sciences of health! 

Working with CAS is definitely awesome experience! I'm sure that will help applying this time around. :)

Fingers crossed for good news for us (and that we hear back sooner rather than later, because the waiting game is killing me too lol)!! 

Did you apply for both campuses? 

43 minutes ago, LillianM14 said:

My major is Human Kinetics and my minor is in the social sciences of health! 

Working with CAS is definitely awesome experience! I'm sure that will help applying this time around. :)

Fingers crossed for good news for us (and that we hear back sooner rather than later, because the waiting game is killing me too lol)!! 

Did you apply for both campuses? 

I did last year but only applied to the Thunder Bay campus this year!

For my application last year, since I got waitlisted in Thunder Bay they did not consider me for a spot in Orillia so I just decided to apply to only Thunder Bay 

1 hour ago, Meg23 said:

I did last year but only applied to the Thunder Bay campus this year!

For my application last year, since I got waitlisted in Thunder Bay they did not consider me for a spot in Orillia so I just decided to apply to only Thunder Bay 

Aaaaa that makes sense! I applied to both. Orillia is my first choice because it's closer to home for me, but I'd be happy to go to thunder Bay if I got in there :)

15 hours ago, Gwame1 said:

Just wondering  if individuals who identify themselves as males are in this group and applied to this program? 

The waiting game is super brutal! I hope we all get in

I identify as male!

I also got an email from admissions stating the offers won’t be coming out until around mid-April this year….. 

So it looks like we still have a while to wait. Fingers crossed ?

1 hour ago, Glass22 said:

I identify as male!

I also got an email from admissions stating the offers won’t be coming out until around mid-April this year….. 

Oh goodness! Looks like another 5 weeks to go!

2 hours ago, Glass22 said:

I identify as male!

? Thank you for letting us know! And also, did anyone else not get an email from admissions about this? 

On 3/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, LillianM14 said:

I figure if I get into this program, I'll take time off again after it to figure out if I even want/ need to go back to school again! 

I'm (obviously lol) really hoping I get in so that it can help me figure out what kind of path I want to take, whether that be an MSW, MPH, or whatever else :)

ok! I applied to both, I would prefer to go to Orillia given that its much closer to home, but if I get in at Thunder Bay, I'll definitely go there!

I know we still have a month and a bit until we hear back but waiting is brutal, especially in regards to planning for possible having to relocate/ jobs and stuff. I'm really looking forward to when we get answers!

Hi there! I'm a current student in the one-year HBSW at Lakehead with a Bachelor of Public Health degree and wanted to chime in. I remember being on the fence too about whether or not to pursue a MPH and am so happy I did the HBSW program because it really helped me figure out which path I wanted to take - I applied for advanced standing MSW programs for Fall 2022 and found out I got in! 

My placement is at a community health centre and my program manager who has her MPH said that being a part of a regulatory body (i.e., OCSWSSW) will open more opportunities. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out and I will answer them the best I can. 

Good luck to everyone! 

2 hours ago, HBSW2021 said:

Hi there! I'm a current student in the one-year HBSW at Lakehead with a Bachelor of Public Health degree and wanted to chime in. I remember being on the fence too about whether or not to pursue a MPH and am so happy I did the HBSW program because it really helped me figure out which path I wanted to take - I applied for advanced standing MSW programs for Fall 2022 and found out I got in! 

My placement is at a community health centre and my program manager who has her MPH said that being a part of a regulatory body (i.e., OCSWSSW) will open more opportunities. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out and I will answer them the best I can. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hi! 

Thank you so much for reaching out. It's so reassuring to see someone who was in the same position! 

I have tons of questions so I will definitely reach out :)

2 hours ago, LillianM14 said:

How are people feeling the closer we get to April? 

Honestly I'm about ready to burst. I just want to know so I can start planning since it's a lot to figure out in a short amount of time, especially living situations!

I feel the exact same feeling.  I am nervous and anxious, even overlooking my application package.  Im thinking to myself am I even going to be accepted lol, not a good headspace I have realized.  I applied to both campuses, hopefully I get accepted into Orilla.  How is everyone else feeling?

Hi everyone! I found this forum a little while back and wanted to join in the convo to say that this long wait to find out if we've been accepted is super stressing me out as well! My application hasn't changed from "applied" to "assessment pending" either. I submitted my supplemental application package on the last day and completed the personal statement exam on the Sunday so I assume my application is closer to the bottom of the pile but it would be so nice to have some sort of indication that things are moving along. @RBMSW I too have been been going back and overscrutinizing my application package lol. I only applied to the Thunder Bay campus. I really hope we hear back by no later than April 15th. 

13 hours ago, SW2022 said:

Hi everyone! I found this forum a little while back and wanted to join in the convo to say that this long wait to find out if we've been accepted is super stressing me out as well! My application hasn't changed from "applied" to "assessment pending" either. I submitted my supplemental application package on the last day and completed the personal statement exam on the Sunday so I assume my application is closer to the bottom of the pile but it would be so nice to have some sort of indication that things are moving along. @RBMSW I too have been been going back and overscrutinizing my application package lol. I only applied to the Thunder Bay campus. I really hope we hear back by no later than April 15th. 

Welcome to the club!!! 

I submitted my application a little bit before the last day and did the personal statement exam like 10 minutes after it opened on the Friday, so that would probably makes sense then that they are looking at it in the order they received applicants stuff. 

Even though I know we aren't going to hear back until early to mid April, I keep checking my info basically every day anyway??

Hey!

What is everyone's plan for accommodations? Has anyone started applying even though we dont know yet if we got it? Are people going for on campus or off campus?

Is it competitive to get into a place? How is everyone feeling?

2 hours ago, Gwame1 said:

Hey!

What is everyone's plan for accommodations? Has anyone started applying even though we dont know yet if we got it? Are people going for on campus or off campus?

Is it competitive to get into a place? How is everyone feeling?

Hey!!

The thought of accommodations has been stressful. I've started very casually looking into places to stay in Orillia since that's my first choice. From what I understand about the program, we would only need to be in person in Orillia until December, and then leave to do our placements wherever they are. Because of this, it seems even more difficult to try to find a rental for only that short amount of time. So honestly, if residence is available for 6 months, I'd do that just to make it easier on myself. 

Honestly if I get in, I feel like figuring out accommodations is going to be the biggest mess but just letting that be a future me problem hopefully lol

Edited by LillianM14

50 minutes ago, LillianM14 said:

Hey!!

The thought of accommodations has been stressful. I've started very casually looking into places to stay in Orillia since that's my first choice. From what I understand about the program, we would only need to be in person in Orillia until December, and then leave to do our placements wherever they are. Because of this, it seems even more difficult to try to find a rental for only that short amount of time. So honestly, if residence is available for 6 months, I'd do that just to make it easier on myself. 

Honestly if I get in, I feel like figuring out accommodations is going to be the biggest mess but just letting that be a future me problem hopefully lol

50 minutes ago, LillianM14 said:

I honestly think that is my biggest fear tbh of not finding an accommodation well also not getting in haha. How much is rent like out there? 

I can relate to the "ready to burst" statement. The waiting game is difficult. I only applied to the Orillia campus and I would be commuting from Ajax (1.5 hour drive LOL). The struggle will be real but THANKFULLY the placement aspect can be done in our home area. I feel for everyone who needs to find accommodations so last minute, likewise not an easy situation.  My fingers are crossed that we all hear back by April 3rd and that there's only 2 more weeks of this dreadful uneasiness. 

Edited by Juli3270