MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

31 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Same, I'm looking at March 31st on the calendar and thinking they really weren't joking about "end of March". I really hope they send an update today. 

Haha right?? I’m hoping for an update too … I keep looking at my clock and refreshing my email like “a few hours left”. I hope to hear before the weekend. Seems so late with many schools already requiring studio deposits etc.

20 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

Haha right?? I’m hoping for an update too … I keep looking at my clock and refreshing my email like “a few hours left”. I hope to hear before the weekend. Seems so late with many schools already requiring studio deposits etc.

Exactly, haha. Definitely on the later side. ? I haven't sent any emails out yet, but I might tomorrow if nothing comes today. 

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

Exactly, haha. Definitely on the later side. ? I haven't sent any emails out yet, but I might tomorrow if nothing comes today. 

I’ve emailed admissions and all they said was by the end of March. I guess I could email the profs I interviewed with but I’m worried that’s not appropriate idk! 

2 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

I’ve emailed admissions and all they said was by the end of March. I guess I could email the profs I interviewed with but I’m worried that’s not appropriate idk! 

I'm not sure, it might depend on the profs, honestly. Some have been pretty welcoming of asking questions and keeping communication open and others have deferred to admissions offices, so it's hard to say. 

Hi All!

Longtime lurker but was waiting to have all my info. Right now I'm trying to narrow down and decide between Cranbrook and CalArts- I have about the same amount of funding for both but since CalArts tuition is higher it would be more. Any thoughts about these programs in general and in sculpture?  I've done my research but would love to hear any thoughts before I decide! 

I got into the following schools, the order is most expensive to least after scholarships and grants are applied (tuition only)

PRATT

MICA

SAIC

CALARTS

CRANBROOK

SYRACUSE

MCAD

Hope everyone is starting to feel relief from this process I can almost see the other side !! ??

20 hours ago, f.m.m said:

Hi 

I would like to know if anyone has received a Michigan State University (MFA) letter of acceptance, waiting list, or rejection. Have not decided yet!

Thank you

I'm starting to feel like they won't be having a cohort this upcoming year ? Haven't heard anything either.

4 hours ago, SurfsUp said:

I am waiting to hear from NYU Studio Art. Did you apply to the same program?

Yep. 

Feel like someone posted a while back they'd heard back from NYU Photography? Don't know if that falls under Studio Art since it's an interdisciplinary program. 

Hi everybody. 
Is there anybody who has some ideas for comparing SMFA and Brooklyn College?

I wanna make artworks in NY, but now it is not safe. The number of crimes has skyrocketed compared to before the pandemic. 

But in Boston, there are few galleries and I haven't heard of good achievements of SMFA’s alumni. 

14 hours ago, friendlyvoidcritter said:

I was contacted about potentially being admitted to another department. Has this happened with anyone else? What does this mean?(regardless I am excited lol)

I know some programs let you indicate whether you would like your portfolio considered by another department. That’s awesome though! Maybe you’ll find an even better fit. 

17 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

I know some programs let you indicate whether you would like your portfolio considered by another department. That’s awesome though! Maybe you’ll find an even better fit. 

Thank you! I'm inclined to believe so, since the department closely aligns to my undergraduate degree and and the interest I have in bookmaking + zines. :)

I've seen some current/recent students posting about Bard here, sounds like their MFA program is struggling to keep up with the strains and challenges of the pandemic.

Did anyone here interview for Bard?I 'm curious to hear about other people's interviews, insights on the program, and where you're at with it now... I'm on the wait list.