MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

39 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

If a woman chooses to advocate for naturally born women it doesn't mean that they are anti-trans. I don't actually know anyone who's anti-trans, but ones personal feelings about a very small slice of society shouldn't be the defining reason to judge them to be bullies, unless it's warranted and they are actually bullies.

I surely hope your Artist Statements and Statement of Intent were better than this writing here. I wonder how you would feel if someone referred to your existence and experiences as a Chinco Artist as a, "small slice of society"—kinda minimizes not only your personal experiences but your community's experiences, right? But again, who am I to judge? Just as you have within this forum. I have seen how dismissive and non-supportive your statements have been when forum members come forward regarding their experiences within MFA programs and you automatically begin to interrogate their claims. Not quite sure how that will "make a better world for all" but I wish you luck trying. Once again, good luck to your cohort and even faculty members.

Peace and Love.

Edited by thefifthdimension

5 minutes ago, thefifthdimension said:

I surely hope your Artist Statements and Statement of Intent were better than this writing here.

Peace and Love.

This is an internet forum, it's not an artist statement. Don't really care about grammar. As Chicanos, we are a small slice of society, insular, even. It's why I create art from that perspective. If other people have criticisms or don't like what I do, KOOL! I'm glad that individuals have their own perspectives, this includes people who don't like me. Do others minimize or marginalize me for having opinions about my art? Heck no. I do this for me and my familia and gente.

I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. CHILDREN ARE WISE and we can learn from them.

I've never been unsupportive toward "members." What I've done is ask questions of anonymous avatars posting unsubstantiated claims that deserve rigorous and thorough investigation. OR, at the vey least, a shred of proof.

See, I'm a social justice warrior, Anti Fascist, Chicano, and proud of it all. I didn't create a life for myself and become a success by believing what people tell me without proof. It's a little discouraging seeing anyone online accepting something as fact, hook line and sinker, with no proof. You see that in the Qnonymous insurrectionists who attacked democracy on 6th. You see that in all the Soviet propaganda on the internet.

I'm down to elevate any minority, but I'm not a chump and will definitely ask some rugged questions if I feel that more information is needed. It's troubling that you will believe any anonymous poster on the internet just because it fits your narrative.

This is a good discussion to have. It's positive, and productive, and I'm glad future posters will get to read it.

Waiting on a waitlist decision from SFSU, and the University of Montana. If I don't get accepted I think I may end up just applying for the next cycle! I don't feel super disappointed, this was my first time applying and as an art history major I didn't have a ton of advice from professors or other artists. So I feel like I've actually learned a lot from applying this time around in what I want from a program and where I want to go. 

Any UPenn alumni / entrants who might have friends who are currently studying at their MFA or recently graduated that I might speak with? I've spoken with students from all the other programs I've been admitted to, but not Penn, and I noticed its colouring my decision -- ie fading in prominence, despite seeming like a well structured, good option.

15 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

This is an internet forum, it's not an artist statement. Don't really care about grammar. As Chicanos, we are a small slice of society, insular, even. It's why I create art from that perspective. If other people have criticisms or don't like what I do, KOOL! I'm glad that individuals have their own perspectives, this includes people who don't like me. Do others minimize or marginalize me for having opinions about my art? Heck no. I do this for me and my familia and gente.

I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. CHILDREN ARE WISE and we can learn from them.

I've never been unsupportive toward "members." What I've done is ask questions of anonymous avatars posting unsubstantiated claims that deserve rigorous and thorough investigation. OR, at the vey least, a shred of proof.

See, I'm a social justice warrior, Anti Fascist, Chicano, and proud of it all. I didn't create a life for myself and become a success by believing what people tell me without proof. It's a little discouraging seeing anyone online accepting something as fact, hook line and sinker, with no proof. You see that in the Qnonymous insurrectionists who attacked democracy on 6th. You see that in all the Soviet propaganda on the internet.

I'm down to elevate any minority, but I'm not a chump and will definitely ask some rugged questions if I feel that more information is needed. It's troubling that you will believe any anonymous poster on the internet just because it fits your narrative.

This is a good discussion to have. It's positive, and productive, and I'm glad future posters will get to read it.

"I'm just asking questions" is a defense being used for all kinds of inappropriate, bad-faith arguments these days -- a defense used most often by the very groups you mention deridingly here. Re: "not a chump", a word of caution from a lurker that your reputation precedes you. You're associating with likely some of your future cohort here, bending over backwards to function among them as a bullying arbiter of some kind of libertarian truth. I don't actually agree with the original UW warning being put on the board, as it feels just unprofessional, but someone felt the need to post it, and if you don't like it, as you say, it can be ignored. The manner in which you confront people on here, however, is far more antagonistic, persistent, toxic, and as a reader of this forum, impossible to avoid. As a possible member of your future cohort, based on my impression of you and your work here, I'd say you are entirely unpleasant - an element that I would not, if the opportunity arises, work with.  

9 minutes ago, nonamerequired said:

Has anyone dealt with several faculty members reaching out personally after offering an acceptance? It's for a program that I intend to decline so I'm not sure how to handle this.

Once I made a decision I sent personal emails back to professors that reached out thanking them and letting them know I had made a decison for anotherr program.  

Hey Everyone!

I have recently gotten back all of my acceptances from different programs. I am pursuing an MFA focusing on photography. I wanted to post to see which school you guys would choose between Parsons New School and Hunter College. I love both programs so much and I was accepted into both. I am just unsure which is a better program.

Can anyone help out?

2 hours ago, deepsplinter said:

Hey Everyone!

I have recently gotten back all of my acceptances from different programs. I am pursuing an MFA focusing on photography. I wanted to post to see which school you guys would choose between Parsons New School and Hunter College. I love both programs so much and I was accepted into both. I am just unsure which is a better program.

Can anyone help out?

Are you based in NY or from out of state? I'm based in NY, so if I were in your place, I would choose Hunter just on the basis of it being cheaper to attend as a NY resident. I don't know much about the Parsons MFA program but I know one person who graduated from Hunter in Photo and really loved their time there.

1 hour ago, cherrysoda said:

Are you based in NY or from out of state? I'm based in NY, so if I were in your place, I would choose Hunter just on the basis of it being cheaper to attend as a NY resident. I don't know much about the Parsons MFA program but I know one person who graduated from Hunter in Photo and really loved their time there.

I’m based in Florida but Hunter is still a great amount cheaper than Parsons. I just wasn’t sure if maybe the big price tag Parsons has was really worth it or if I should stick with Hunter.

5 hours ago, deepsplinter said:

I’m based in Florida but Hunter is still a great amount cheaper than Parsons. I just wasn’t sure if maybe the big price tag Parsons has was really worth it or if I should stick with Hunter.

I personally would say stick with Hunter. So much of your education and opportunities would also come from being in the city; get a school in the city that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (whether by lower tuition or scholarships). Parsons may be worth it if you want to take other classes at the New School? But don't all the NY schools have some kind of consortium that allows you to cross list at various institutions? some NY natives / people who know help me out hereeeee

Edited by worldcleft

3 hours ago, worldcleft said:

I personally would say stick with Hunter. So much of your education and opportunities would also come from being in the city; get a school in the city that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (whether by lower tuition or scholarships). Parsons may be worth it if you want to take other classes at the New School? But don't all the NY schools have some kind of consortium that allows you to cross list at various institutions? some NY natives / people who know help me out hereeeee

I would definitely stick with Hunter!! I live in NYC and hunter has a really amazing community of alumni in the city— more so than Parsons!! They are structured pretty differently though with hunter being three years and less credit hours per semester. It has also been described to me by alumni as more of a “independent study” so think on that too!! 
both are great though so you can’t really choose wrong! 

16 hours ago, deepsplinter said:

Hey Everyone!

Can anyone help out?

Hey! I’m going to dm you I’m meeting with parsons fine arts in person on Thursday. The more research I’ve done the more amazing the program seems which has kinda been the opposite for some other programs,

that said Hunter has a stellar reputation and great price. I didn’t get in otherwise it might be at the top of my list but I never got far on research.

Hi all, this is my first time posting after obsessively looking/searching for two years. I got accepted into two schools for MFA Fine Arts Painting and I work interdisciplinary: performance/dance, painting drawing, video etc. I'm having hard time choosing if anyone has any info on both schools and can help sway my decision making. I set up meetings with a few Pratt alum and looking for SVA.

Pratt - 28k scholarship per year & graduate assistantships will be available as well. I'm leaning a little towards pratt cuz they seem to check off a lot of nice boxes and I see a lot of artists/alum that I enjoy plus chair of the program Jane South went to my undergrad school for her MFA and I love her energy so it feels familiar. 

SVA- 25k scholarship per year only work study, no TA ships or assistantships really. They were buttering me up and expressed some want which was nice but I can barely find any info on students/alumni and how they are currently doing. 

I love both schools and would be happy to attend either so any info/critiques, etc can help.

Edited by killzbillz

11 hours ago, 1800goodluck said:

I would definitely stick with Hunter!! I live in NYC and hunter has a really amazing community of alumni in the city— more so than Parsons!! They are structured pretty differently though with hunter being three years and less credit hours per semester. It has also been described to me by alumni as more of a “independent study” so think on that too!! 
both are great though so you can’t really choose wrong! 

Thank you!! This helps clear up so much. I think I’m leaning more towards Hunter and this message really justified my choice. Thanks so much.

14 hours ago, worldcleft said:

This makes a lot of sense, Thank you. Could you clarify what cross listing at institutions is and how it works?

4 minutes ago, deepsplinter said:

This makes a lot of sense, Thank you. Could you clarify what cross listing at institutions is and how it works?

Pretty sure what they’re talking about is taking other classes at CUNY schools (cuny=city university of New York, and hunter is one of them.) I don’t know it works for grad programs, or how much time you’d have for other classes, but you’d be able to take classes throughout other cuny schools like Brooklyn college, city college, queens college, Lehman college, etc. you should look into it if you end up going there!