2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

23 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

seems a boring week. What schools do we expect to release next week?

If they don’t release in the remaining days of the week, I fully expect WUSTL and UNC to release early next week. I don’t think Stanford will start releasing decisions until the last week of February/first week of March. 

Edited by bmo103

56 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

seems a boring week. What schools do we expect to release next week?

Maybe NYU and Colorado Boulder, if they don't do it between Thursday and Friday.

I would probably have to wait until late February to hear from the others on my list.

2 hours ago, bmo103 said:

If they don’t release in the remaining days of the week, I fully expect WUSTL and UNC to release early next week. I don’t think Stanford will start releasing decisions until the last week of February/first week of March. 

I'm thinking Stanford can maybe release next week. They released on the 23rd last year but on the 13-14th in 2019 and 2020. So, hard to say, but could happen.

1 hour ago, PhD_attempt said:

Has anyone had a conversation with a POI after admission? If so, what was it like?

I had. It was very nice, welcoming and informal. It was more of a "we really want/expect you to come", talking about the department, opportunities, and even about the city/life in general, and answering questions. We only briefly talked about research interests and research questions. But I think it really depends on what kind of things you are most concerned with. As for the part of POIs, they are usually as excited as you are about the admission, so they want to show off support and recruit you to the program--My thoughts.

1 hour ago, PhD_attempt said:

Has anyone had a conversation with a POI after admission? If so, what was it like?

Seconding @CapTipps, I also had a nice conversation with a POI. He knew I had acceptances at higher-ranked schools and basically tried to show me the benefits of a smaller program, where I could more easily get faculty attention etc. I recommend you go in with some questions prepared.

13 minutes ago, CapTipps said:

I had. It was very nice, welcoming and informal. It was more of a "we really want/expect you to come", talking about the department, opportunities, and even about the city/life in general, and answering questions. We only briefly talked about research interests and research questions. But I think it really depends on what kind of things you are most concerned with. As for the part of POIs, they are usually as excited as you are about the admission, so they want to show off support and recruit you to the program--My thoughts.

Aww thats awesome! I am so glad for you and thank you so much thats super helpful information! 

2 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Seconding @CapTipps, I also had a nice conversation with a POI. He knew I had acceptances at higher-ranked schools and basically tried to show me the benefits of a smaller program, where I could more easily get faculty attention etc. I recommend you go in with some questions prepared.

Yup I'm working on those now, a little nervous because I'm not sure how in-depth I should go with their research but I'm excited! Congrats on all your offers, that's awesome! 

10 hours ago, IAMK said:

University of Washington seems too quiet. Does anyone know when their results will come out? I understand that UW started the interview quite early. I hope the results come out soon.

Also waiting on UW here - I've heard that they're usually one of the last schools to release admits/rejects. I've been chatting with current students and they suggest to hold on until early March for decisions to finally come out.

Edited by serpentstone

2 hours ago, PhD_attempt said:

I've had several very collegial conversations with both POI and current grad students. I wrote up a set of questions on what's most important to me about programs. I asked almost everyone at each program the questions so I could compare. Overall, I found they were super helpful to me and I've learned a lot!

3 hours ago, PhD_attempt said:

I was at one pre-admission event and had a meeting with POIs from another school after admission. One of the best conversations I ever had. I would take as a good opportunity to evaluate if they would be a good match in terms of advising style and research interest in the next three to five years, rather than an interview thing. Be prepared to discuss your previous work and research interest because they are genuinely curious! You can go in depth about their work if you are interested in related collaboration but certainly don't need to feel pressured.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:53 AM, CapTipps said:

Hey, thanks for letting us know. Can you comment where were your other acceptances? 

Also, how did you declined de offer? I'm planning to decline some of mine but I don't have a clue how to politely do that LOL Thanks

Sorry for the late read; totally missed the notification here.

I received an offer from UChicago (IR), and I did my best to politely inform the two schools that I was extremely grateful for their time and consideration of my application, but that I had decided to decline my offer/ask for my name to be taken off the waiting list. Both schools came back with very cordial responses that they appreciated the early notification and that they wished me the best in my future graduate studies. Hope this helps!

Waiting on Harvard, MIT, Yale and Cornell, anyone think we should expect those sometime next week? Seems like they usually all come at the end of the month but Harvard’s application deadline this year was earlier than past years if i’m correct 

1 minute ago, ballofstress said:

Got an official rejection from WashU/WUSTL. This application season has been rough for me. Was told I had a good application package. 

Yea, I got mine too. This has been a very bad week for me after a very good end of January.