2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

What is the idea behind holding rejections far past the days where they extend offers? Is it the departments trying to feel out if their first round offers will be accepted before moving down a list of the "next best"?

Edited by midd1324

3 minutes ago, midd1324 said:

What is the idea behind holding rejections far past the days where they extend offers? Is it the departments trying to feel out if their first round offers will be accepted before moving down a list of the "next best"?

I think sometimes it might be that, and sometimes it's just that acceptances are notified first by the department itself and then everything (both acceptances and rejections) go through the university's Graduate School, which sends automated messages to everyone. Also, there are far fewer acceptances than rejections in every program.

6 minutes ago, midd1324 said:

In some cases, maybe. But don't know, and I realize that's awful, but honestly I think they're just showing they really don't care about applicants (just the ones who were accepted). 

That's why I am replying to rejections and actually thanking them about reaching out. I think the last they can do is to let you know your application status.

Hi everyone - Im not sure if this is the place to ask, but if its okay, I was hoping to ask any American students if 25k is enough to survive in DC? Im not a person with any real financial resources, so will be dependent on the PhD stipend to survive. Im a bit nervous and cant really accept if I wont be able to maintain myself 

Just now, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi everyone - Im not sure if this is the place to ask, but if its okay, I was hoping to ask any American students if 25k is enough to survive in DC? Im not a person with any real financial resources, so will be dependent on the PhD stipend to survive. Im a bit nervous and cant really accept if I wont be able to maintain myself 

It will not be enough. I live in the area now and went to grad school (MA) here as well. You can live in the suburbs and metro into campus.  

4 minutes ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

DC is fairly expensive. You would definitely have to stretch the stipend pretty thin. If you're set on American you should apply for some extra fellowship money, or see if there are opportunities for you in the department that could increase the amount they pay you. 

Edited by bmo103

Thank you. Thats what I was thinking. I will ask to see if they offer additional funding, but that is the stipend with 20 hours a week of work. Due to some health/disability issues, I would also need to be fairly close to campus. I might need to seriously consider if it is viable 

54 minutes ago, IAMK said:

I found that Vanderbilt University sent admission letter and waitlist on 7 Feb. Interestingly, there was also one rejection on the Gradcafe. I have not received anything yet. How should I understand this situation?

I reached out to ask about my application status a few days ago and after a while, yesterday they replied saying that they were not offering me admission. Unfortunately, I think at this point it is safe to assume rejection.

Edited by CapTipps

32 minutes ago, CapTipps said:

I reached out to ask about my application status a few days ago and after a while, yesterday they replied saying that they were not offering me admission. Unfortunately, I think at this point it is safe to assume rejection.

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that if you haven't heard from Vandy. On the visit day info they provided to me, there's a spreadsheet with what seems to be the names of everyone admitted. There are 18 people, by the way.

2 minutes ago, at1109494 said:

For those who got into UT Austin, what's your stipend/fellowship package look like? Mine is 4 years of TAing at $22k/yr

Mine's the same.

10 hours ago, phdhell said:

Anyone else waiting on Cornell!? Usually they come around today or tomorrow in previous years but who knows at this point, everything seems to be delayed 

Yep. I called last week and they said they hoped to get all of their decisions released by mid-March. ? Which is you know, torturous.

I have - with Emory. They said they don't give feedback; they need to get the admitted students enrolled and have their full amount of usual responsibilities on top. They also mentioned that they consider it unfair to students who don't reach out to give feedback to the ones who do. I guess it still doesn't hurt to try if it is a smaller program...