manuscript in process

saraConnor

Recently, my ex-advisor (I switched labs) sent me a manuscript that I am listed as second author on. I haven't been given any information about this manuscript until the document was sent to me. I was asked to do specific formatting and to make "any edits that [you] think would improve the paper." The manuscript was sent to me entirely written, which also means the part that is my area of focus in the manuscript was already written. I'm really not sure how to add anything in the paper when the part that I would play a role in has already been entirely fleshed out. My main concern here is that this ex-advisor will try to say that I didn't contribute to the paper - but I really haven't been given the opportunity to contribute to the paper at all because I was never looped into the development or writing process of the paper. 

Does anyone have an recommendations or advice for this type of situation? 

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, saraConnor said:

Recently, my ex-advisor (I switched labs) sent me a manuscript that I am listed as second author on. I haven't been given any information about this manuscript until the document was sent to me. I was asked to do specific formatting and to make "any edits that [you] think would improve the paper." The manuscript was sent to me entirely written, which also means the part that is my area of focus in the manuscript was already written. I'm really not sure how to add anything in the paper when the part that I would play a role in has already been entirely fleshed out. My main concern here is that this ex-advisor will try to say that I didn't contribute to the paper - but I really haven't been given the opportunity to contribute to the paper at all because I was never looped into the development or writing process of the paper. 

Does anyone have an recommendations or advice for this type of situation? 

Thank you!!

Was this material related to your thesis or anything? If not, then it looks like you're being given the opportunity for credit of authorship by editing, which is not uncommon for undergrads, masters students, or PhD students without a lot of their own research already out there.  That's a gift :) However, if this is supposed to have been your thesis or dissertation material, I would be concerned.

As to what you can contribute - clearly he/she wants you to review and edit the formatting issues outlined, so make sure to be thorough at that. As for content, this is an opportunity for you to go over the fine details of methods and theory, make sure that all the necessary pieces are accounted for, and look for ways to potentially expand upon the already written portions of theory and discussion/limitations. I would definitely not send it back without a thorough review and at least a few additions or suggestions to improve it. This is a great way to show that you are thinking critically about the material, that you are paying attention to small details, and that you are not afraid to find and use your own voice. If they hate your suggestions they will just toss them out - but if you don't do any, it will look like you didn't even try.