GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

1 hour ago, ashtheengineer said:

Is there any hope at this point? I kind of feel like my application has been matched, held, released, held, released, etc. so many times. When is the latest I should expect to hear back from anyone? I'm losing hope as I type this :(

I am not sure about what is the latest, but I am set to start interning full time next month. Have you reached out to any corporate point of contacts or GEM?

2 hours ago, ashtheengineer said:

Is there any hope at this point? I kind of feel like my application has been matched, held, released, held, released, etc. so many times. When is the latest I should expect to hear back from anyone? I'm losing hope as I type this :(

Well according last year's version of this blog matches seemed to carry on till mid April at least.  So using that as a barometer, we still have hope.  I took someone's earlier suggestion and reached out to the Fellowship team at the University I was admitted to and asked point blank if they would fund me as an Associates fellow.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, ashtheengineer said:

Has anyone been reached out to by Lam Research at all? I noticed that they matched with my application, and I would like to reach out to them if possible.

Yep! I had received an offer but turned it down for another employer member. That spot is now open for you!

Hi everyone.

I received a notification in January saying "Congratulations LAM research corporation has responded to your application" and no one from LAM has contacted me so far. I also have been matched and unmatched several times since then. Any clue what's going on please?

Additionally, how do you know the name of the company that matched/unmatched you? I just see the word matched/unmatched but no names of corporations show up. Please advise. 

Best of luck to everyone going through this process to pursue their education!

IG

17 hours ago, IGenina said:

Hi everyone.

I received a notification in January saying "Congratulations LAM research corporation has responded to your application" and no one from LAM has contacted me so far. I also have been matched and unmatched several times since then. Any clue what's going on please?

Additionally, how do you know the name of the company that matched/unmatched you? I just see the word matched/unmatched but no names of corporations show up. Please advise. 

IG

To answer your first question, it just means they have been considering your application. It does not mean that you have been selected. Once you have been selected by a employer, you will receive a notification on your dashboard that you have been selected. You can be matched and unmatched several times before an employer will decide to pick you, if they decide to do so since employers are not obligated to select applicants. 

To answer your second question, someone posted a "hack" to do this earlier. It's in the third post from the bottom of page 4 of this forum.

Edited by fellowlearner

1 hour ago, fellowlearner said:

To answer your first question, it just means they have been considering your application. It does not mean that you have been selected. Once you have been selected by a employer, you will receive a notification on your dashboard that you have been selected. You can be matched and unmatched several times before an employer will decide to pick you, if they decide to do so since employers are not obligated to select applicants. 

To answer your second question, someone posted a "hack" to do this earlier. It's in the third post from the bottom of page 4 of this forum.

First, congrats on your offer from MIT Lincoln Labs! and maybe NASA could be your next step after graduation.

Second, thanks for your response! I like that hack a lot btw. In the egem portal of that "hack" it says "University Sponsor: Columbia University", does that mean they'll sponsor me as a university fellow? or it only shows up there bcuz I chose that i'll be attending Columbia?

Lastly, do you think it'd be legit if I reach out to the GEM representative at whichever company matches me to introduce myself and maybe request an interview? 

5 hours ago, IGenina said:

First, congrats on your offer from MIT Lincoln Labs! and maybe NASA could be your next step after graduation.

Second, thanks for your response! I like that hack a lot btw. In the egem portal of that "hack" it says "University Sponsor: Columbia University", does that mean they'll sponsor me as a university fellow? or it only shows up there bcuz I chose that i'll be attending Columbia?

Lastly, do you think it'd be legit if I reach out to the GEM representative at whichever company matches me to introduce myself and maybe request an interview? 

For the Columbia University thing, I would say yes, especially if they expressed interest in funding you earlier, but reach out to them to Columbia’s GEM point-of-contact to make sure. Congrats, by the way!

In terms of the second question, that’s literally how I got my MIT Lincoln Lab offer. I wrote a post about how I reached out to recruiters and past GEM fellows on LinkedIn  who work for the companies I wanted to be partnered with on page 4 of their forum I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 10:27 PM, IGenina said:

Hi everyone.

IG

Hi IG, 

GEM doesn't want to share that info because as you know it is very preliminary. However, there is a way: 

https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/xxxxx

where xxxxx is the last 5 digits you see on the page where you add schools , you can see you has you matched), then I got my offer via email and got selected.

Then you can use that as a reference, and go on LinkedIn and RocketReach, etc to get contact info for diversity or recruiting titles at the company to make contact. good luck!

Just now, cheminator612 said:

Hi IG, 

GEM doesn't want to share that info because as you know it is very preliminary. However, there is a way: 

https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/xxxxx

where xxxxx is the last 5 digits you see on the page where you add schools , you can see you has you matched), then I got my offer via email and got selected.

Then you can use that as a reference, and go on LinkedIn and RocketReach, etc to get contact info for diversity or recruiting titles at the company to make contact. good luck!

I also meant to add that  most companies do not have a direct GEM pipeline. What i mean is that GEM is just another pool of candidates they can hire. Most of the time you are also competing with other people who applied via other means, their own job postings, etc. 

This is to say, don't eliminate other methods of making yourself known like cold emails and reaching out! You will always be your best advocate

On 3/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, cheminator612 said:

I also meant to add that  most companies do not have a direct GEM pipeline. What i mean is that GEM is just another pool of candidates they can hire. Most of the time you are also competing with other people who applied via other means, their own job postings, etc. 

This is to say, don't eliminate other methods of making yourself known like cold emails and reaching out! You will always be your best advocate

Thank you very much for your insights! Appreciate the support!

On 3/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, IGenina said:

For Lam Research, I may be able to send you a few points of contact that deal with GEM if you DM me. 

I might be asking this a bit early, but has anyone received word from universities on whether they'll accept you as a gem fellow? I received admits from some universities, but no word on funding. I applied for Masters programs if that helps. 

I'm planning on emailing the gem reps on Monday, but I'm curious if anyone heard back on this front yet.

Edited by FlamingSenchi

On 3/25/2022 at 10:15 PM, FlamingSenchi said:

I might be asking this a bit early, but has anyone received word from universities on whether they'll accept you as a gem fellow? I received admits from some universities, but no word on funding. I applied for Masters programs if that helps. 

I'm planning on emailing the gem reps on Monday, but I'm curious if anyone heard back on this front yet.

Did u get an employer sponsor yet? and btw it's not too early, it might be just the right time to send out these email - and some would say it's a bit late in the process. So go ahead and send them 8AM on Monday.

I emailed all GEM reps at all the schools I was accepted to. Heard from Northeastern that they'll accept me as a GEM fellow. Columbia GEM rep said they'd consider me for funding if I secure employer sponsor (which I'm hoping to do after an interview on Monday with LLNL). Others didn't get back to me unfortunately. But i'll email them once more when I secure an employer sponsor. As Cheminator612 said above, you're your best advocate. 

On a similar note, someone in this thread said that if you get an employer sponsor you should get in touch with the schools so that they consider your application as a full fellow.

2 hours ago, IGenina said:

Did u get an employer sponsor yet? and btw it's not too early, it might be just the right time to send out these email - and some would say it's a bit late in the process. So go ahead and send them 8AM on Monday.

I emailed all GEM reps at all the schools I was accepted to. Heard from Northeastern that they'll accept me as a GEM fellow. Columbia GEM rep said they'd consider me for funding if I secure employer sponsor (which I'm hoping to do after an interview on Monday with LLNL). Others didn't get back to me unfortunately. But i'll email them once more when I secure an employer sponsor. As Cheminator612 said above, you're your best advocate. 

On a similar note, someone in this thread said that if you get an employer sponsor you should get in touch with the schools so that they consider your application as a full fellow.

Yes, I have an employer sponsor! The only thing that was holding me back from emailing the gem reps before was that I didn't hear back from any of the universities I applied to until last week. I'm still waiting to hear back from two other Universities... The ECE department at a lot of schools have been taking their sweet time in getting decisions out. 

Anyways, I'll definitely email the gem reps and ask for an update. I just hope that these universities can get back to me on funding before the April 15th deadline... 

Edited by FlamingSenchi

On 3/30/2022 at 4:12 PM, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Has anyone heard back from USC??? I was told that as a GEM scholar I would be hearing back by the end of February. I reached out to the GEM point of contact and he mentioned that admissions was behind schedule (in March). What gives?

You might've already heard back from them by now, but I'm a current USC university fellow who will be a full fellow for next year and I just got my new contract today (about an hour ago lol). Last year I didn't get my GEM notification from USC until late March even though I was told early February. He's always backed up with emails and GEM stuff haha

Unless you mean admission acceptance? I interpreted your question as hearing back from USC regarding GEM funding. 

13 minutes ago, JJT said:

You might've already heard back from them by now, but I'm a current USC university fellow who will be a full fellow for next year and I just got my new contract today (about an hour ago lol). Last year I didn't get my GEM notification from USC until late March even though I was told early February. He's always backed up with emails and GEM stuff haha

Unless you mean admission acceptance? I interpreted your question as hearing back from USC regarding GEM funding. 

Yes, I meant USC admissions decision notification. I am getting pretty nervous about the fact that they seem to be waiting to the very last day to inform me.

I got my USC GEM notice back in January. I was told that my application to USC was quite competitive and that I would hear back by early March. This is why I am uneasy.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:51 PM, pkgts said:

does anyone elses app still say official transcripts not received

Yep! Same here. I had called a while back and as usual, they said it's normal. They told me if we are missing something, we will call you. If you don't hear from us, we have everything we need at the moment and are working through the files. 

Hi All, 

I have a question. I just want to get some clarification. At the PhD level, I know GEM awards 'Employer Fellow" and "Associate Fellow". I've also heard the term "Full Fellow" used on the forums. What is the difference between them?

I don't understand the term "Full Fellow" but my understanding as per the GEM Website is that:

Employer Fellows

• $16,000 stipend applied to one academic year
  • Additional stipend (assistantships, grants, other stipend dollars) support from GEM Member University to bring the stipend amount up to the funding level of other funded PhD students in that department
  • A minimum of one paid summer internships with a GEM Employer Member
  • Full tuition and fees up to the fifth year of the PhD program

Associate Fellows

• Full tuition and fees provided by the GEM Member University
  • At least $16,000 stipend per year provided by the GEM Member Universities

The only difference seeming that in one you get the internship (obviously because you've been matched and accepted by and employer). 

I am a current PhD student at my institution, with a current source of funding for the remainder of my degree, and they tell me "The College of Science is only able to support two students in GEM and unfortunately '...' you were not one of them". This doesn't make sense financially though since they are not incurring additional expenses? What are my options?

*** TIPS on securing a corporate sponsor***

I just secured a corporate sponsorship by a national lab yesterday! Here is the strategy I followed, thanks to many folks on this forum! (please start this process early)

1. I put together a list of companies/national labs I'm interested in

2. I searched the list of GEM fellows from the previous year or two for fellows who interned at these companies/labs of interest

3. I cold emailed these fellows either on Linkedin, or found their email address from the people's directory of their current institute/university. In my email/linkedin message, I said that i'm a prospective GEM fellow and asked them about the point of contact for GEM at the company/lab they interned at - and mentioned that I want to reach out personally to the GEM rep and introduce myself as a prospective GEM fellow, etc

4. Usually the point of contact is an HR or recruitment person (i'll call them GEM Reps) and they are also very well connected to the scientists (at the national labs that I pursued). I reached out to the GEM reps at each company/lab, introduced myself, mentioned the research directions and scientists that I'm interested in (in case of a national lab) or the department/team/technology/product/process/area that i'm interested in (in case of a company), tied that back to my personal career goals and professional plans etc. Most of the GEM reps got back to me, some forwarded my email to the scientists (at national labs) or hiring managers (at companies), some suggested I reach out to the scientists myself (which I then did), and some said that they already selected all their GEM reps for this cycle. The few scientists I reached out to got back to me relatively fast.

5. I interviewed with a few scientists at one of the national labs on Monday and they sent me an offer via the GEM portal on Friday.

6. I emailed all the GEM reps at the schools I got admitted to, in order to let them know that I secured a corporate/employer sponsor and asked to be considered for their funding options. Will update this post later after I hear back from the schools. 

GOODLUCK TO Y'ALL!

On 3/31/2022 at 8:09 PM, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Yes, I meant USC admissions decision notification. I am getting pretty nervous about the fact that they seem to be waiting to the very last day to inform me.

I got my USC GEM notice back in January. I was told that my application to USC was quite competitive and that I would hear back by early March. This is why I am uneasy.

Oh that's strange, I didn't know they'd give a GEM funding decision before an admissions one was received. Who did you talk to about your application and hearing back? It's already April so idk why they're waiting this long, definitely nerve wracking 

Just now, JJT said:

Oh that's strange, I didn't know they'd give a GEM funding decision before an admissions one was received. Who did you talk to about your application and hearing back? It's already April so idk why they're waiting this long, definitely nerve wracking 

Kevin Henry reached out to me telling me that he was excited to see that I had applied to USC Viterbi as a GEM  candidate. He mentioned that my application was very competitive (Back in January).

Although, this past weekend I received a notice from USC admissions stating that I am missing a document. This is why my decision has been delayed. I am working on sending them the document asap.