Academic Misconduct advice needed

SchoolQuestion

Question

I am in the process of applying to PhD programs. I was responsible for an academic misconduct incident in my undergrad around 5 years ago and was put on probation. It is literally the biggest mistake of my life and I did a lot of work to turn my life around after it.

There is a question on the grad school application asking if I have ever been responsible for anything related to academic misconduct, which I fully planned on selecting 'yes' on and writing about. 

However, when I requested my disciplinary records from my undergrad, they said that there was no record of this because these files are deleted after graduation. There is no notation of this on my transcript either. 
The only situation I can imagine this incident resurfacing is through my professor from 5 years ago. This professor is in a different field and city than what I am applying to.

I am also seeing posts online saying that it would be stupid to bring something up that no one has any record of. 

Now I am unsure if I should bring up this incident or not, considering there is no record of it at my school. I want to be honest but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I was hoping to get realistic advice or any thoughts on what I should do. 

2 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, SchoolQuestion said:

I am in the process of applying to PhD programs. I was responsible for an academic misconduct incident in my undergrad around 5 years ago and was put on probation. It is literally the biggest mistake of my life and I did a lot of work to turn my life around after it.

There is a question on the grad school application asking if I have ever been responsible for anything related to academic misconduct, which I fully planned on selecting 'yes' on and writing about. 

However, when I requested my disciplinary records from my undergrad, they said that there was no record of this because these files are deleted after graduation. There is no notation of this on my transcript either. 
The only situation I can imagine this incident resurfacing is through my professor from 5 years ago. This professor is in a different field and city than what I am applying to.

I am also seeing posts online saying that it would be stupid to bring something up that no one has any record of. 

Now I am unsure if I should bring up this incident or not, considering there is no record of it at my school. I want to be honest but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I was hoping to get realistic advice or any thoughts on what I should do. 

Honestly, if your university has given you a clean slate, thank the high heavens and move forward. I definitely would not bring it up if the university has basically released you from any ownership of it. Plus, it sounds like you learned your lesson, which is important.

I disagree. 

The fact that there is no record or that you learned your lesson is not the point of the question in the application. 

I would say "yes," explain, and in that explanation simply say that the record was erased not without your own effort. Use that space to your advantage.