2022 Applicants

Just now, F22910 said:

Is anyone planning to decline Rutgers PhD anytime soon? Or have you already?

I think there are a few of us on the Rutgers waitlist here. Have you heard anything at all from them in the last few days?

37 minutes ago, CHP47 said:

I think there are a few of us on the Rutgers waitlist here. Have you heard anything at all from them in the last few days?

I just got off the phone with the Graduate Admissions Director, and the situation there is this. There are four accepted students who still have not given an answer on whether or not they're going to accept the offer. She expects to hear from one of them today and thinks it's likely they will accept. Two of the other accepted students she expects to hear from tomorrow and is honestly unsure of whether they'll accept or decline. The final student has said that they will not be providing an answer until Friday, and she feels that this student will decline.

If one of these students declines, I will be accepted. Beyond that, I'm not sure what will happen. The situation seems a bit hectic there since they've never had this many students wait this late to give an answer. How to interpret that, I'm not sure, but I'm crossing my fingers for all of us here!

Edited by SirGhostus

3 minutes ago, SirGhostus said:

I just got off the phone with the Graduate Admissions Director, and the situation there is this. There are four accepted students who still have not given an answer on whether or not they're going to accept the offer. She expects to hear from one of them today and thinks it's likely they will accept. Two of the other accepted students she expects to hear from tomorrow and is honestly unsure of whether they'll accept or decline. The final student has said that they will not be providing an answer until Friday, and she feels that this student will decline.

If one of these students declines, I will be accepted. Beyond that, I'm not sure what will happen. The situation seems a bit hectic there since they've never had this many students wait this late to give an answer. How to interpret that, I'm not sure, but I'm crossing my fingers for all of us here!

Thank you so much for doing the recon! I guess between three of us, we can keep getting info from the department without any of us becoming annoying. 

11 minutes ago, SirGhostus said:

@CHP47 got the same response a few hours ago!

On 4/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, Hercinia said:

End of season greetings, my peers in purgatory!

Dropping a line to my fellow Brandeis waitlistees, has anyone heard anything specific from the department or DGS recently?

wishing us all the best of luck!

Unfortunately no, not a peep from them since last month. You're quite right – I am in absolute purgatory, and check my email approximately every four minutes. I assume they're probably in a similar situation to everyone else – I suspect their offer holders have not responded. It's honestly extremely frustrating. 

I’m thinking English departments across the country are in a bit of an interconnected gridlock. departments waiting for responses before turning to waitlists and responders waiting for waitlist movement before responding. ?

I am receiving emails from faculty and graduate students at my waitlist school offering to talk with me about the program etc., but the lack of an actual acceptance makes this feel like medieval torture. I cannot wait to never have to repeat this process again. For now, I will keep posting through the pain.

For those of you who are waiting to hear from one school but accepted at another: do you have a plan for tomorrow afternoon if you still haven't heard?

I'm trying to trust in the cycle -- that things we'll be resolved today or early tomorrow -- but I can't help imagining a scenario where it's 4:30PM (i.e. 30 minutes before the end of regular business hours) and I still haven't heard about waitlist and I feel compelled accept the offer without having heard one way or another concerning the waitlist.

13 hours ago, SirGhostus said:

I am receiving emails from faculty and graduate students at my waitlist school offering to talk with me about the program etc., but the lack of an actual acceptance makes this feel like medieval torture. I cannot wait to never have to repeat this process again. For now, I will keep posting through the pain.

You're waiting on Rutgers, right? Crickets here, so I hope that's a good sign for you! Good luck!

16 hours ago, SirGhostus said:

Hey sounds like we’re in a similar boat. Best of luck to both of us! Can I ask if you’ve personally reached out to the grad students you are speaking with? And if they were open to speaking about their program to waitlisted students as well? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, F22910 said:

Hey sounds like we’re in a similar boat. Best of luck to both of us! Can I ask if you’ve personally reached out to the grad students you are speaking with? And if they were open to speaking about their program to waitlisted students as well? Thanks!

I apologize if I'm parsing your question wrong and giving irrelevant info in my answer. I had two graduate students reach out to me yesterday offering to answer any questions I had about the program. I've been kinda hesitant scheduling calls with people from Rutgers just because I'd rather no increase my heartbreak if it doesn't work out. So I replied to their emails with just some vague, general questions and received very open, helpful replies.

Well, I'm officially out of the running for Rutgers. Fortunately, my other offer is a great fit for totally different reasons, so it will be a different but exciting adventure. Good luck to the other Rutgers waitlisters- I hope you get in!

21 minutes ago, CHP47 said:

Well, I'm officially out of the running for Rutgers. Fortunately, my other offer is a great fit for totally different reasons, so it will be a different but exciting adventure. Good luck to the other Rutgers waitlisters- I hope you get in!

Thank you! I'm sure you'll thrive at your offer and wish you the best of luck.

I'm not feeling too confident about Rutgers at this point, so I'm grateful to have another off as well. I thought my shutout seasons were painful, but somehow the process has been even more taxing this year. Relieved it's almost over.

Yeah the wait was truly quite taxing! I’m also relieved in thinking that everything will probably be over by tomorrow. Best of luck to all us! And congrats on the offers you have already! It’s been a looong ride :)

5 hours ago, thursdaysnext said:

I was taken off the waitlist at UT Austin earlier today, but informed them that I was accepting another offer. Hope this helps someone!

I'm sorry abut UT Austin. If you don't mind me asking, where do you intend to accept?

Genuinely hoping that everyone landed at their ideal spot. If you didn’t, I’m very sorry, and I hope that you find your place soon. These results say nothing about your worth, and I’m sure that the next cycle will be both fulfilling and worthwhile for you. 

Are people willing to share where they ended up going!? I want to be happy for all of y’all, since this online forum has been so supportive and kind. (I think someone made a forum about final results, but I could be wrong!)

I accepted my offer from CUNY a few days ago. I’m here to see if any other members of the incoming CUNY cohort are on this forum. I know they sent that email out with all of our email addresses visible, but I don’t want to be that person who initiates contact with the entire cohort at once ?.