Transferring MA Programs?

mellirae

I am currently getting an MA in art history (just finished the first semester) and I absolutely hate my program. They lied about a lot of things to convince me to come, and my advisor assigned my thesis topic (so I don't even get to write about what I want). I reported some of the professors in the department for mistreatment of students (there were terrible incidents that did not include myself) and the some of the professors took it out on me with my final course grades. I have just decided I have absolutely had it and I want out as this program has killed my love for art. Is transferring even possible with an MA? Is there a way to explain these poor grades to a potential program (I had As all semester and they rapidly declined after the reports I made came through)?

Have you reached out to your student advocate and/or your institution's omnibudsperson? That would be your best route through all of this to start. You need a paper trail proving what is going on that you can use to bolster your options in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all: I'm so sorry. This, unfortunately, is relatable—I am entering my final semester of my PhD and just cannot bring myself to care about art history after all of the abuse, mistreatment, and brazen lies to recruit students. Every day is a struggle not to quit.

Depending on your institution, the ombudsperson may or may not help. At my own, they are useless: they work for, and thus are there to protect, a broken system. The same goes for the Director of Graduate Studies, and the Graduate School. A paper trail can be very useful, but, unfortunately, people who occupy positions of power in academia can be slippery and do not much care for accountability or integrity.

It is not common to transfer graduate degrees, but also not unheard of.  My suggestion is to re-start elsewhere (I say this having deeply regretted "sticking it out" where I am now). It may feel like a waste of time, but ultimately, if a program is identifiably toxic within the first semester, it unlikely that it is equipping you with useful skills for a career in art history. If faculty have been willing to hurt you for criticizing abusive behavior, they have already shown their cards, which lack integrity and deeply hurt a field that is already suffering.

If this feels like too drastic of a solution, I would suggest re-orienting yourself with the program. Ask senior students about faculty. Who is trustworthy? Who isn't? Who has hurt students, and who has helped them? Which courses equipped them with useful tools? Which caused them deep distress? A graduate degree is never worth suffering for, regardless of how much abuse is normalized. It is a piece of paper, not lifeblood, and if the program isn't taking itself seriously, you can't be expected to compensate.