MPP vs. MPA

chubbers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that the MPA is generally a professional degree and the MPP is more of an academic dgree. Some school differentiate between the degrees and others don't. So is there really a huge difference in the attractiveness between the two regardless of whether one decides to work professionally or continue in academcis after obtaining the MPP or MPA?

I can't really speak objectively about this, but personally I don't see too much of a difference between the two in terms of prospective job marketability. I am leaning more towards the MPA with a public policy focus because I am still unsure about what exactly I want to do in the long-term.

If I want to continue in academia in the long-run I will likely have to return to graduate school to get my doctorate degree. By doing the MPA with a focus in public policy, I hope to achieve a balance between still having a research-focus, but hopefully receiving more concentration in public administration than I would in a MPP program, thus, holding a few more doors open. It also alligns more convincingly with my personal statement. I also looked at the differences in the student population of both programs (at schools that offered both), which gave me somewhat of an idea about the types of people who chose which program (it seemed that at the schools I was looking at the MPA students were more likely to have more work experience and come from gvt. jobs, except for WWS where the one-year MPP is geared towards professionals later in their career).

In saying that, I really don't know how much of a difference an MPA will have versus an MPP in regards to job placement. Sorry I'm not that much help. Hopefully someone else out there has some more objective (and convincing!) information for you!

Hi , i am also confused about the difference between mpa and mpp.

at first, i thought mpp is a more academic degree and prepares students for phd or research work, not like mpa for a professional career. However, when i was looking at the student body at usc/sppd, it looks like the mpp students tend to have more professional experience prior to their mpp study than mpa students. Also, about 80% mpa students at USC/sppd continuted their mpa study directly after their college graduation.

Based on what i've been told by the admissions officer or the info on the webpage, there is not so much difference in terms of career but maybe some when u talking abt curriculum. MPP students tend to learn more abt stats, econ or any quantitative courses, while mpa has a focus on management. I guess it is why its difficult to get into MPP programs if yr quant background is weak.

Orangedonkey,

It's strange what you mentioned about the difference in students in the MPP vs. MPA at USC. I actually got the exact opposite impression from people I met with in the admission department. I got the impression from what I was told that on average, students in the MPP are younger than their MPA counterparts, and that MPA students have had, on average, more experience, typically in public service/administration roles. Could you direct me to where you found out your stats so I can get some more information on this?

u r welcome, another appli

and hi can hardly, u can find this kinda info on the "admissions" part of both MPA and MPP webpage. Especially, i remember the MPA admissions page said most of their students got into the program directly from the college graduation. In contrast, when u looking at the student group of MPP (U may find this on the int'l student body part), most of the int'l mpp students have solid working experience.

Plus, take me for example, I have 2 years' full time professional experience in China's government, besides to solid internship experience during my college. And I am accepted by usc/mpp. However, i know a girl who got into their mpa program but she DOESN'T have any working experience and she s just a 3rd year student in college. I was told the same kind of info. by the admissions officer from SPPD. She said it was true that most MPA students just graduated from college and no solid working experience. But she also told me that there is not really much difference btween mpa and mpp, it kinda depends on what u wanna do after graduation.

Nevertheless,,,,,i'd think USC is just an exception....its the opposite case when u apply to other mpa/mpp programs.